New Business Venture?

I've decided to stop complaining about the oil puddles that my sewing machine oil bottle leaves and the oil it sometimes spits.

Now you can use your machine oil to tell you if you should be quilting or not.

If your oil bottle is sitting in a new puddle, that means the weather should be nice outside (high pressure).

If there is no puddle, chances are it may be cloudy and the weather tends toward stormy so stay in and quilt. And since there is no extra oil, you won't be annoyed by it.

Here is the prototype:

post--13461901595674_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Sams Mom

I've decided to stop complaining about the oil puddles that my sewing machine oil bottle leaves and the oil it sometimes spits.

Donna, I feel your pain. I, too, have "issues" with this brand/type of bottle. I am going to the hardware store on my lunch break and I'm buying me a new set of screwdrivers, and while I'm there, I'm picking up an oil drop dispenser that doesn't leak. Then I'll transfer the contents from this leaky bottle into the nice oil drop dispenser and toss the leaky thing in the trash can! BUH BYE!

OK Update: I bought this precision oil drop dispenser from a seller on ebay and have been using it for a few weeks now. I really like it! Guess why? Nothing leaks out of the bottle. Nothing. And, on top of that, only little drops go exactly (and I mean precisely...exactly) where you want them to go... on the bobbin hook and no overspills on the wicks either. And on top of that, it was super cheap. Under $6.00 and that included shipping. I simply transferred contents from the leaky bottle to this little bottle. When the little bottle gets low, I will refill from the big (leaky) bottle. Leaky bottle goes in the trash soon (only has a little oil left in it). I'll buy another bottle of this and continue to transfer the contents into the little bottle as needed. I'm super happy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150312018145

I'm laughing. The first time I took my oil bottle to the mountain, I had an artesian oil well! I didn't think it was ever going to stop coming out--and the bottle was sitting upright! DH helped me on that one. I have to burp the bottle now before I take the little red cap off. (unscrew the whole cap and let the air out at high altitudes)

Shana, that's the best idea. Here at home I have one of those slender bottles with the telescoping brass nozzles. Never had a problem with it. Oil is just messy, no matter what you use.

Yes MaryBeth, I was. But I'm better now. Spent three hours at the middle school book fair. I'll never complain again.

Shana, if you find one that works, let me know.

Boni, we're only at 5,200 ft but the Yoplait yogurt always spits when you open it. Again I shouldn't complain, some mountain dwellers can't get the potato chips home without the bag exploding.

I do have to say, I'm so glad I'm not in tornado land. I just look at the black skies east and say a little prayer.

I am at 6500 ft and I can't open anything sealed without causing a mess. My oil bottle, however, has never been a problem. I pull the spout out all the way first, then take off the cap. When I close it, I put the cap on, then push the spout down into the bottle. It is raining/snowing here again. Is it doing this anywhere else?

Mount Hood is our winter home away from home and I'm sitting looking longingly out my window. It's sunny and cloudy off and on today here in Dundee, but the mountain is in the 20's and they're expecting another 5 inches today. That's around 5-6 thousand feet altitude. It's snowing in Government Camp too. I'm chilly in my sweats--I may as well be in my ski clothes and up there enjoying the last of winter!:(

Originally posted by Sams Mom

Shana, if you find one that works, let me know.

I couldn't find what I was looking for at the store today, so I searched ebay and found this. I ordered one for less than $6.00 that includes shipping. I'll let you know how it works. Sure, it only holds a little bit but I can refill when needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Precision-Oiler-Needle-Tip-Oiler-1-2-oz_W0QQitemZ150312018145QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item22ff4b60e1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphotohosting

How did I miss this post?

And it's about weather... I work in a weather lab. Of course, I am not a meteorologist... but I know one.

Yes, our very own hippy-dippy weather-girl is Donna (Sam's Mom) is a certified meteorologist.

Love your device, Donna. Have you approached Kestrel about marketing it?

Donna you are a meteorologist? That's really cool! When i was a kid I wanted to grow up and be a meteorologist. Except then I found out you had to be a super smart math whiz with calculus and algebra and physics and science and stuff and that's when I said ... forgetaboutit.

Donna: Wife, Mom of Sam, Black Belt in Tae Kwan Do, Meteorologist and Quilter Extraordinnaire all wrapped up into one. That's quite the resume. What else could you possbly be? :)

Archived