Memorial quilt, ideas please

Last week my dad passed away suddenly and while i was home helping my mom with the funeral she mentioned it was going to be hard to take dad's shirts, that he wore all the time, out of the closet. I told her to leave them there as long as she needed but once she was ready to let go to give them to me. I would like to make a quilt out of his plaid flannel shirts, that was pretty much all he wore, and his jeans. That is going to be real quilt therapy for me!

I was wondering if anyone here as made a quilt with shirt flannel, how would it be to work with, they are all in great shape.

I also have no idea what type of pattern to use. Something simple for a lap quilt for the couch so she can wrap herself up in his shirts when she needs a hug from him. I"m hoping there will be enough to make one for me too.

I'm sorry to hear of your dad's passing. So sad.

Regarding the shirts in a quilt:

I have a friend who made a double wedding ring with old shirts. It was beautiful. She used a solid white background and all the rings/intersections were patches from men's shirts. That's quite a project--an heirloom of a sort.

Since the shirts have been washed, you wouldn't have a problem with shrinkage. Be sure to prewash all the other fabric you use in the quilt. Consider using wool batting, it is so light and quilts like a dream. Sounds like a nice comfort quilt.

I guess it would depend on how much time you want to spend cutting. 3-4 inch squares 9-patch, half square triangles, rectangles/squares like a turning 20, or just large 6-9 inch squares, etc.

Here is a nice idea--you wouldn't have to do the trees unless you want that element. It's pretty simple, you wouldn't need a pattern. Just copy this design.

2229110860100404369S500x500Q85.jpg

Hi Kathy. I am sorry to hear about your dad's sudden death. My dad also died suddenly unexpected from a heart attack at age 56; that was back in 1996. I still miss him. I think it is wonderful advice you gave your mom to just let things stay where they are in that closet until she (and you) are ready to deal with the clothes. And what a great idea to make a memorial quilt from flannel shirts, etc.

I am sure lots of folks here will chime in with their advice. Me? I am giving you a big hug of sympathy. (((hug)))

Kathy - I made a memorial quilt for a friend a few years ago. She gave me about 15 or 20 shirts of her husbands and there was enough for a queen size quilt plus the backer. Most of the shirts had pockets on them, so I cut like a 6" square of fabric with the pocket in the middle of it and used those along with all the other 6" squares cut from the fronts of the shirts in the top. I left the backs of the shirts pretty much in one piece (but with 45 degree corners) and pieced them to use in the backer. I put one pocket on the back using it for the label. Some of the pockets had flaps, some were western shirts with snap pockets, and encouraged her to put momentos in the pockets for her to look at, touch, and think about. I named the quilt "Pockets full of Memories". I have some pics somewhere, so I'll look for them and post later...

Unfortunatly these were all shirtweight fabrics (no flannel) but I don't think that flannel shirts would be hard to work with. If some seem thin, maybe a light weight stabilizer ironed onto them would help. I'm sure there are others out there with more suggestions.

Kathy..I also am sorry for your loss. I know hopw hard it can be. I lost my Dad to a sudden heart attack at the age of 48 in 1996. I does get easier...but you never forget. A memorial quilt sounds great. I agree...try Bonnie Hunter's site. She uses lots of clothing in her quilts. SHe has tons of easy to understand patterns...all beautiful I must add.

Thank you all for your kind words (and the hug Shana....you can never have too many hugs.)

Bonnie- the picture you posted is just the inspiration i needed, not too scrappy and the plaids look great. The Flying Geese design is also so appropriate for him and wool batting would make it cozy.

Patty Jo- i like you ideas, especially leaving the back of the shirts in large pieces and use for the back of the quilt. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Mari and Kristina- i'll definately check out Bonnie Hunters site, thanks!

Sharon and Sylvia- i think a friend of mine has that Alex Anderson book, i'll have to borrow it from her.

Oh Kathy I have no ideas other than the ones already given to you. I just wanted to stop in and give you a hug also. I am soo very sorry for your loss. How blessed your mom is to have such a wise daughter. Both of you take the time you need to grieve your loss and let no one dictate a time table to you. I can just imagine how much love will be poured into your quilt. I really like Patty Jo's idea of using pockets no matter what pattern you decide on.

I made a memorial quilt for a young gal who's husband was killed in a car crash when their daughter was only 3 months old. She brought me his clothes and I did nine patches as much as I could and then crazy quilt the rest. I made 4 quilts for her and on hers and his mother's quilt I too the wrist bands off of a shirt and sewed it to the back so they could slip their hands through them and hug the quilt around them. I used everything pockets, collars, nothing was wasted. It didn't matter if it was stained or not I used it and when she saw her quilt that had the stained shirt piece, she teared up and told us the story on how he got the stain, so stains are memories don't throw those away.

It's always sad to lose a dad. I'm sorry for your loss.

I promised to make a memorial quilt for a co-worker whose daughter died suddenly at age 18 of what they think was a stroke. She woke up in the night screaming that her head hurt. The mother has given me several items of clothing and some pictures, I haven't put it together yet, but soon. I hope others will share pictures of memorial quilts.

The pockets and cuffs are great ideas. I never would have thought about the stains. What great input here!

I made four flannel quilts from my husband's shirts when he passed away for my daughters and grandchildren. Two were patterns from Fons & Porter magazines,

( I'll have to look them up and let you know what issues they're in). One was a series of hearts, which your Mom might like and the other F&P was a hexagon based pattern that became a 6 pointed star. For the grandchildren I made one rag quilt and one with squares that were sashed with hearts in the corner stones. I made a pillow cover with some left over shirt flannel for my grandson's dog. The dog also was very close to my husband. Everyone still uses their quilts and they are holding up great after 8 years of rugged use. And yes, I did use shirts with permanent stains because the stains had memories too. :)

Anne

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. It's hard. My Dad has been gone since 1981. Sometimes it seems like yesterday; and sometimes it seems like 28 years ago. Some days it's hard, and I cry all day; then I go days with out a thought.

I am going to be making a quilt like this for my cousin, and I like Bonnie's pattern/idea too! Not too scrappy, just pulled together enough. Very nice!

Here is a big hug from me! (((((hug)))))

I was thinking of helping my step daughter make one from her mother who died suddenly. I thought of just cutting a fat quarter from each clothing item and then using the Turning Twenty patterns. It is easy and fun to piece. Pictures could be added. So sorry to hear of your loss.

Sheryl your point about the stains on the shirts is so true, they are memories. I'll have to mention that to my mom so she doesn't throw those away thinking i can't use them. And your idea about putting the cuffs on the back of the quilt so you can hug the quilt around you....that brought tears to my eyes....thankyou. I'll have to make my two boys quilts (my dad's only grandchildren) using that idea and include the pockets too.

Anne that would be great if you could let me know which F&P issues the patterns are in.

Thank you all for sharing your personal stories and quilting ideas.

I'm so glad i started this post... you ladies are wonderful and supportive.

Kathy,

The Hexagon/6 pointed star was called "String Spider Web" and is in the Sept/Oct

1999 issue p. 28.

The pieced hearts is called "Red Hot Flannel Quilt" and is in the Jan/Feb 2002

issue p. 15. It also has a nice appliqued flower border which I like, but didn't do because the daughter that I made it for is not a flowery person.

For both quilts I purchased a solid color flannel for the backs and used the same flannel in the points for the stars on the first one and the border on the second.

Fons & Porter may have back issues of these magazines. If not check with your Guild members or library.

Anne

Sorry to hear about your loss...it does get easier with time...but it takes awhile. I've seen a quilt made with the collars and part of the yoke...can't remember exactly how it was done, but it was neat...I'll post if I find it. Hoping you all heal soon! Rita

Hi Kathy,

I am also so sorry to hear of your loss. Many of us have experienced the loss of our fathers and mothers, husbands, or children. You have many hugs and prayers from all of us and I suspect lots of us are shedding tears as we are reminded of our loved ones who passed away.

I made a quilt out of my SIL's step father's, father's clothes (if you can follow that story) to give to his widow. I received two large trash bags of his clothes and pieces of everything were to be used in one quilt. Because I had everything from flannel shirts to silk boxers, from khakis to jeans and also several bandanas and lots of tee shirts, I decided to just cut small squares (I think they were about 3.5 or 4.5 inches) and sewed them together is a pleasing pattern. Many needed to be stabilized and I used Pellon SF 101 as my stabilizer. I added a flannel border and flannel backing and binding. I used some the pockets from the jeans and a few pockets with the button flaps from dress shirts. In the jeans pockets I folded up his bandanas and placed them in the pockets. The widow used them to wipe her tears when she saw the quilt. I have to say it wasn't very creative and wasn't very pretty, but she absolutely loves it.

Make the quilts when you are ready. I know they will be loved very much.

More hugs coming your way.

Sandy

I finally got around to checking out Bonnie Hunter's website and it is fantastic. So many ideas.....good thing this is my project and i have no timeline. I"ll enjoy browsing her site when i'm in the mood.

I got back quilting on my Milli this week. Just simple pantos...my concentrations has been poor to say the least....burnt suppers, losing things, etc. Got the DH to BBQ tonight and maybe i'll pull out the crockpot for the rest of the week.

I have to share a story of what my quilting friends in town did for me this week. One of the guild members came over with a card signed by many of the members and there was also some money in the card. In the card they wrote "Please use this gift from your quilting friends to buy something for your yard or garden in remembrance of your Dad....Treasure the memories" Quilters are the BEST! And they also knew how to make me cry!

I see an apple and a plum tree in my yard in the future...just like dad had.

Oh Kathy - You re so right. Quilters are the best and you belong to a group that is holding you close during this hard time. Remember the good times and don't forget to laugh at the funny memories that come up as well. Planting some fruit trees will be a wonderful tribute to your Dad.

I found the pics of the Memorial quilt that I did about 4 years ago. Here is a pic with the recipient on the right side and my daughter pregnant with their 3rd child on the left...

I'm glad that I found the pictures cause I had remembered it quite a bit different. I can see that I stitched buttons on it after a lot of stitch in the ditch on my DM. I did this before I got my APQS Millie.

2380498900094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

And here is a picture of the back - also I remember this different as well. these are the actual backs of the shirts....

2752938900094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

If you search the forum for "memory quilt" you'll get lots of hits ... be sure to change the setting to search from the beginning of time.

I'm pretty sure someone on this group made this quilt for a little boy whose father was a fireman.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2489407140094604031fqLMEp

I've always loved it ... so simply but so meaningful.

My father died April 13 ... 2 months to the day of taking ill. I have more than 200 Harley t-shirts ... hope to make some quilts using them.

I also have my MIL/FIL clothing. I had planned to make this butterfly quilt for DH's sister for Mother's Day this year but that's isn't going to happen ... maybe next year.

http://itseams.blogspot.com/2008/03/butterfly-effect.html pattern from Quilter's World. She made this quilt from a baby's clothing

http://itseams.blogspot.com/2008/03/butterfly-effect-from-pjs.html

My dad died several years ago--and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of something I want to ask him - or share with him. A suggestion for a quilt would be a flannel brick road--pattern a few years back in Fons and Porter...All the suggestions are great! Will want to see what you decide to do when it's finished! Jane

Archived