MQS Categories

I have learned so much by entering quilts in the 2009 shows. Everyone who entered a quilt is a winner. The quilts that won ribbons are amazing, but there were so many that did not win a ribbon that were equally amazing. So, winning a ribbon is not the "end-all-be-all" thing it has been blown up to be. I know people only want to know who won ribbons and awards, but frankly all of them were amazing. I am not saying this lightly. I want all of us in all levels (masters to novice) to be part of the quilt shows together as a unified group, but I also to put focus on the "other" winners who had quilts entrered. If we did not have people participating in the "show" for what it's truly meant to be (and that means showing quilts...period) we would not have any quilts in the shows at all. So, all of us together should support our quilting industry and put our quilts in the shows, regardless if they have a chance to win a ribbon or not. We should show our quilts. Period. I wish less focus would be on the "ribbons" and that more focus would be on entering quilts so we can get them judged and show them "for the spirit it is truly meant to be" not the goal of winning a ribbon. I love to see the amazing and creative ideas that come from the inspiration we get from eachother (from top to middle to bottom in all levels of quilty rainbow)

I just wish less focus would be on the winners and the ribbons, and make these shows more of a celebration for all who enter quilts in the show. It really is about all of us participating and supporting eachother in the quilting industry. Isn't it? That's my humble $.02. LOL!! :)

I was equally inspired by the quilts that did not get a ribbon or whose familiar name was not on a list. I hope that we all will not be afraid to show our quilts. I want it to be so big they can't find enough hanging space in the building to hang all of the quilts. Now wouldn't that be quite a quilt show? :)

I love it all. I want everyone to be part of this quilt show thing. Don't be afraid. Just do it. I've learned so much. For the first time in my life this year a giant light bulb was shining over my head the entire time. Why? Because I entered quilts (my rookie year quilts that I made last year in 2008) and I pushed myself to the edge and dared to try new techniques. I learned from my quilting process as I made each quilt with a different technique. Then I took what I had learned and applied it to what I was seeing at the show. I had a lot of "a-Ha!" moments! And I was starting to "get it" and understand. It is all starting to make more sense to me. LOL!

Let's all together make this quilting industry and the quilt shows an open happy environment for all of us ,,, no matter what level we are at... let's all be part of this. It's all good. It's all good. :)

I got so many kind words from perfect strangers, and yes even some nice feedback from the well=known top award winners. They gave me support and validation. It was so gratifying. It's like I belonged there with them. Isn't that a wonderful feeling? And, yes... it's true... We all belong there with them; those who are our inspiration. I am grateful to have these people in which to inspire me...and perhaps I also may aspire to become like this ...maybe some day). So, I am just going to have fun and make quilts and let my heart sing and put them in the shows. Winning a ribbon is not my plan, but creating quilts, daring to try new techniques and pushing my skill level to the limit and being brave to show what I have created is my plan.

I'm telling you this... the things that are being created with machine quilting are absolutely SPECTACULAR!!! The sky is the limit! I am proud to belong to such an amazing group of creative artists who continue to raise the bar; continue to make excellence. Every year gets even more incredble and y'all are knocking the creativity of quiltmaking way waaaay out into the stratosphere! Let's make history. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Lynnie, and congratulations on your win!

On the subject at hand, I don't know that I'll ever design, piece, and quilt anything for show. I will probably be willing to partner with a piecer. I would love to enter shows and I think leveling the playing field would take all the "play" out of it. The call to continually improve in order to compete is irresisable. That's the challenge, the knowing there's someone out there who can give you a run for your money and really make you stretch. Then there's the other side of that - watching the newbies coming up and having to compete to stay in the running at all. Sorry, I'm just not one who wants to get a trophy just because I showed up for the game, I want it to be hard so that winning really is something to feel triumphant about. Isn't this why the categories are there? So that we are competing like against like?

Since you asked for input, here's mine. And this is not venting.

Do you remember 4-H? How the first year you made an apron, the next year a skirt, then a dress, etc.? Each year there was a new level of skill and a project to challenge that skill. The competition was against those who were on the same level, making the same project. The ribbon winners were more proficient in those skills and did the job better. You could obviously tell who did a good job on buttonholes, on topstitching, hems straight, etc.

Regarding quilting, I don't think there is a show in this world based on that same tier of skill levels. However, in making a quilt, there are similar skills that we all must employ to even finish the project and send it to a show. Can you imagine a quilt show where everyone made the same quilt, with the same quilting, and the same embellishments? It would be very easy work for the judges.

But WAIT! This is 2009! Anyone can enter a quilt no matter what it looks like--color, style, shape, fabric, embellishments, etc. What's the incentive? Why do we do this? Is it solely for the recognition, book rights, making money, world dominance?? I DON'T THINK SO AL.

Is it really about the ribbon? If I don't enjoy every minute of the process of making a show quilt, I feel I'm doing myself an injustice. If I stress, worry, fret, cry, get irritable, lose sleep, deny myself time with my family and friends, and make life miserable for everyone around me just because the show deadline is looming above me and I'm NOT FINISHED YET!!! then that is just plain wrong!

I have a desire to enter my worthy quilts because I am happy to show my creativity. I like for people to look at my work and "oooo" and "ahhhh" over it. I am flattered when someone looks and loves my ideas and borrows my ideas and uses them in their work. If I win a ribbon, I'm very happy. If I don't win a ribbon, I'm not disappointed. I'm still happy because inside my heart I'm a winner. If my quilt made it in the show that means I accomplished my goal. Do you know how much work it takes just to process that show quilt? All the paperwork, and deadlines, and forms you have to fill out BESIDES making it?

One last thought...in MQS 2008, I entered a tropical theme quilt. It hung in the nook behind Claudia's quilt. I came home beaming inside just because I was in the same category with Claudia. And I had a quilt in the same category with Terri Doyle who won the fabric challenge. See, there are those of us out here who have different motives and aspirations for entering the show.

Could it be that if the rules segregated us from the "masters", we would lose something? On the other hand, maybe more people would enter quilts, assuming the competition was fairly divided? Then let's move to the next issue...subdividing categories into hand, machine, both, more of one than the other, almost no machine, almost no hand, some hand, some machine, no crystals, some crystals, all crystals, no paint, some paint, all paint, ...

See ya next year!:D

This makes me think I will just keep putting quilts in at our local guild show. No ribbons...No judging...Just hanging quilts to show our community what we do! My town has less than 4000 people and about 30 of us quilt! I only quilt for me, have done 1 quilt for hire, and vow not to even do that again.

I am glad I can quilt for me. I remember Shana saying a while back that all quilts have ribbons on them...some are just invisible. I am okay with invisible ribbons. They are beautiful. And No Pressure.

I entered two quilts and a jacket into this years MQS, knowing I wouldn't win but wanting the experience and excitement that competition gives to me. What a thrill to receive a Teachers Ribbon from the fantastic and ONLY...Claudia and AND AND.....first place NOVICE at the fashion show! Wow that was a fantastic experience and a great surprise. I love the goal of bringing my skills up to the "masters" level. It may not ever happen but I sure have the inspiration to work to compete. I took the time this year to work behind the scenes, in the judging room, in the backroom area, on the vendor dock, and learned more that I could write about. Whether or not I had gotten any ribbons at all, I would still plan on competing next year. I like to go with the attitude that if people like my quilt I have achieved the first plateau. I love to hear others ooh and ah over my quilt. I may never reach the masters level, but, Claudia my "stoning" friend, I have also started sketching!!! (grin)

Karen from Sugar Land, Tx

I just received this reply from Linda Hamson, MQS Show Chair. All of the comments posted on this forum are very thoughtful. I agree that we all go through a learning process through entering in quilt shows. Some win faster than others. Some have more PPP time than others, etc. However, if a change needs to be considered by the board, you must voice it to the board. Here is Linda's response:

We are looking at making some changes to the Quilt Show entry process. We are getting together very soon for a post show meeting and this will be one of our topics of discussion. Please let the members of your list know that we value their opinions and that they should be sending them to any of the IMQA board members or the MQS Quilt Show chair.

Linda Hamson

MQS Show Chair

IMQA Vice President

www.IMQA.org

vpres@IMQA.org

I definitely think some kind of categorisation is necessary. It does make sense - at the BIG shows - to encourage the more modest quilters to enter - by separating out the "Teachers" and/or the "Masters".

I think it is quite important to clarify HOW that will work - and that is a task for the Show Organisers. But of course for them to do that they need to know that it is important to Quilters!!

We can only hope that they read the APQS Chat!! Good topic to raise!!

Ok, I'm new to this whole longarm process and I just have to pipe up. You all do such beautiful work and you all deserve ribbons. I hope to someday feel like I could enter one of these shows. I did (way long ago) enter quilts (hand-quilting) in several shows and was lucky to be accepted into several major shows. I didn't win but I did learn a lot. I learned that I want to be able to show my work for the sheer appreciation of my hard labor. I love making quilts! I want to share that with everyone. But I felt judged (appropriately) and I had to develop a thick skin. It helped me to realize that not everyone enters for the same reason. I'd enter for the joy of seeing my work hanging where others could appreciate it. Life is too short to want to win everything. Life is to enjoy the journey.

So I will continue to practice and learn and admire the work of others who got here before me. I am so impressed with all of you! Thank you for teaching all of us. . . :D

I've been reading and thinking of all the replies on this topic. The MQS show is no different than the county fair or the state fair or any other competition. There are always those who will be more experienced than you; yes, I believe more categories would be good, but how watered down should it be. A Masters Category would be good. You enter to maybe win a ribbon, but sometimes you don't...get on with it! Every time I put a quilt in my frames I treat it as if it were to be judged - this makes me do my absolute best work...believe in yourself, keep ppp and stretch the envelope. Martha touched on the journey and I agree, "it's not about the destination, it's the journey where we learn the most."

I didn't enter MQS this year because of health issues, but I have the past two years and it is just so cool to see your quilt hanging with the Masters and having other LA quilters look at it. I also love the judges comments when I get it back, it encourages me to improve.

Sharon

A few years ago I made a quilt that was entered (and juried in!!!) at Houston, Paducah, Williamsburg, Quilting on the Waterfront, and several smaller shows. It won a 3rd place ribbon at Quilting on the Waterfront. At all the other shows it was exhibited and viewed by many people and the feedback I received was very gratifying. I remember standing in front of it at Paducah and thinking about my quilt and the quilts hanging around it. The other quilts were made by "nationally recognized" quilters who have won many ribbons and lots of the $$$ that go with those ribbons. My quilt did not have a ribbon that year at Paducah, but those quilts around it did not have ribbons either. I felt extremely happy to have won the same award they did - we had all been accepted at that show and had the opportunity to exhibit our quilts with some of the best of that year. Point is - you should never be hesitant to enter a quilt you feel is really special and represents your best work. The excitement of acceptance and exhibition at a major show just cannot be beat. If you win a ribbon - just icing on the cake.

Please also keep in mind that many of the winners of BOS and other major awards are making a living with their quilting. The time and talent expended, entry fees, shipping, insurance, etc., are a cost of doing business for these folks. If we insist they show for exhibition only once they have won at a major show, we deny them the opportunity to win at other major shows and we are denying them the monitary compensation they deserve. Competition at that level is really tough - I personally want to encourage all quilters to strive for that excellence and be rewarded for their hard work. If you look back over several years you will see that new stars are born every year, through the ranks of category winners and all the way to the top. Congratulations to Lynnie, Marilyn and Gina, who rose to the top this year!

When I see the quality of quilts in the major shows I know one thing. If I am willing to put in the TIME and TALENT required to win a ribbon at that level I can do it, too - and so can anybody else on this forum. The question for me remains - am I willing??? My quilt may not win, but I am honored if it is chosen to hang with the stars. and maybe someday it will win...

I have no problem with creating categories that give quilters the confidence to enter a show. But we should not remove the incentive toward excellence to which all of us should strive.

Okay, I guess I'm just weird (well those of you who know me already know that to be true but anyway)...I don't think it would be as much fun to enter a show if I couldn't run w/the big dogs because who knows one day I just might keep up. What's the point of competing if I only do it when my competition is handicapped? How does that encourage me to get any better?

My 7yo DS in an athlete, any sport he'll play it. I am VERY disgusted w/ the whole mentality of EVERYONE on EVERY team gets a trophy...we don't keep score...it's crap! Part of being a good athlete, or any kind of competitor, and being just plain good at life, is learning to be a graceful looser. I didn't say GRATEFUL looser. Graceful. It's part of the game. What reward would winning be if everyone won?

I am just not perfectionist enough for the quilt judging world. I REFUSE to sew my bindings by hand. :P I think that the back of a WALKING (not galloping) horse is good enough for perfection...still I enter anyway...all the shows I can. State fair, MQS, MQX, Road to California....what the heck...they can't eat me right?! I've also adapted and created quilts that were "different" and therefore hid some of my flaws.

In the national shows I've only won Judges Choice, but heck, last year to get that I BEAT *3* (that I know of) teachers/masters....now that would just not have felt as sweet if I hadn't been allowed to compete with them. Like I said though, I'm just weird. In the State fair I have lots of blue ribbons and even a Colorado Quilt Council award of excellence ribbon. A rosette, the best kind.

I do hear what you're saying. There are quilts that I think didn't get their due, and quilts I look at w/big wins and wonder what the judges saw in them...That's how it is in ANY kind of competition, horse shows, 4-H, anything that has a judge = real human being with likes/dislikes and opinions. You're going to have some human-ness rub off in the judging.

To sum it up...I don't think it would be as much fun if I couldn't aspire to compete against someone I KNEW was better than me. How else could I see if I was getting any better myself?

You know, last year at MQS one of Irena Bluhm's students beat her w/a quilt done in her style. It happens, you just have to keep having the guts to jump off the porch.

The big dogs in our industry/art form are the best in the world at encouraging the pups to go run with them by sharing their tricks, tips, techniques, freely and generously. We are so lucky that way.

Just my nickels worth (I just couldn't shut up at .02 :P)

I will confess that I haven't read every word in this thread - there's a lot of great discussion. As a new quilter I can certainly add the fact that it can be quite intimidating looking at these tremendously beautiful best of show quilts. I LOVE looking at them and inspecting the quilting and designs - they can also be quite inspiring.

However, one thing that sticks in my mind from the show, is that the majority of the quilts that we are talking about (from the Birgit's and Claudia's of the world), is that these are art quilts - spectacular art quilts! Without having art ability or background this can never be an area in which I could begin to compete. However, given time and that p,p,p thing, maybe I can make some very acceptable feathers and enter a quilt in a more traditional category. With the focus being so heavy into art quilting at this point in quilt history, I know that a Best of Show honor will never go to me. Maybe this is speaking to the current trend - art quilts are certainly taking the lead - by a landslide! Thoughts...

Hi,

This is Claudia Myers---not Clauuudia Pfeil:) and I guess I'm one of those Masters you're talking about.

I want to say that I really understand the frustration I hear in many of your postings on this subject. I understand because I have felt that way, too. The first time I ever went to the Houston Festival, I stood there, looking at the quilts and got totally depressed, because I knew I'd never be able to make quilts that were that perfect. I didn't even know where to start! So, I started small--entering quilts in my guild show, then gradually into the other national shows, all the time trying to get better with my techniques and enjoying the process of designing the quilts. Now, sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. You all probably don't notice when I (we)don't win.

The most important thing I want to get across is that a Masters category is NOT the answer. In a Masters Category, "apples and oranges" are judged against each other, with no regard for particular technique. Also, since you can only enter one quilt per category, the "masters" can only enter one quilt, period, while the rest of you can enter several, all in their proper categories. We wouldn't be able to enter Tools of the Trade, Edge to Edge, Theme, any of the categories that make MQS an exciting show to enter.

I like the way the Dallas Guild does it. They have a Masters category and an Artisan Category---but within those two categories, there are several sub-categories, where you could have Artisan Tools, Master Tools, Artisan Theme, Masters theme, etc.etc. The prize money would probably have to be made smaller, but it would be more fair to more people and would encourage more quilters to enter, both Masters and "UP AND COMERS". How about thinking about this idea, MQS Board?

Just a sidelight--In 1996, when the Minnesota Quilters Guild decided to have a Judged Show and accept sponsor money from National and International sponsors, they became a National quilt Show, supposedly encouraging entries from all over the country, if not the world. We are no longer a Guild Show that only accepts quilts from Minnesota. THAT'S how Sharon Schamber came to win BOS at Minnesota, and Pam Holland from Australia, and many others from outside of Minnesota.

Okey, another thing, and then I'm done. I'm here to tell you that you can never beat that proud feeling, when you come around the corner of a quilt show and see your quilt hanging there..WOW! If it is hanging straight and flat, that's even better. If there are people looking at it and taking pictures, even better. AND if it has a ribbon---well, that's the best!

Claudia Myers

Thank you Claudia,

It is good to hear form someone who has won tons, and understands. For me, like I said, I have not entered and I need to stick with my local quit shows. Maybe if I feel like living life on the edge I will enter MQS....but I won't tell anyone, and I may change my name :)

What a great perspective Claudia M and others. Thanks for the input.

I've been thinking more about the masters category since I originally replied. And like Claudia, I don't think it is the answer. I would hate to see those masters quilts disappear from the shows. They are so inspiring!!

I entered 3 quilts into shows several years ago and won many ribbons with those quilts. The ribbons range from a teachers ribbon to several 1st place ribbons at MQX. These were all quilts I made in my first year of longarm quilting. Does that make me a master? I wouldn't want to be put into a master's category because I've won a couple of 1st place ribbons. Personally, I think it was just luck. I've only been longarm quilting since Oct 2005 and I have a long way to go before I would consider myself a master.

I love making the show quilts, but haven't had time due to customer quilts. I like the challenge of making them and the creativity I can put into them that I can't put into customer quilts (that is unless they want to pay for it!!) I bought IQ not too long ago to help with the backlog of customer quilts and free up some of my time to make show quilts. Whether they change the categories or not, I still intend to make show quilts and enter them.

Next year I'm hoping to enter 3 quilts into MQS and other shows. I hoping for a wholecloth (it's almost finished Shana!!), theme quilt, and an applique quilt (yes MB. I came home more inspired than ever to stop petting the fabric get that quilt going!!). Those are probably pretty big goals but it gives me something to work towards and incentive to finish the customer quilts even faster!!

Linda, I didn't get to meet you at MQS, but wish I had. Interestingly, our car ride home was filled with a similar discussion. Masters catagory, teachers catagory,etc..... I'm not sure what the answer is. My fear is that if we force our teachers to compete against each other only, they will be forced to choose between doing those incredible quilts and teaching-- and we lose either way! (IMHO). I would LOVE for Marilyn to teach, but am sure I know her answer if she were forced to choose. She told me she doesn't teach now due to the time away from her show quilts as it is. If she couldn't compete for the BOS $$ by teaching, she probably never would think about teaching again. That would be a loss. The same with Myrna, Renae, and all the big winners. I guess I don't feel the teachers should be out of the running as then we would lose that valuable side to them for everyone.

The Masters, well, I see all the sides. I guess like Tracey I think being in the catagory with them and maybe getting something someday would be much sweeter than being in a catagory with "all the others who've never won a big ribbon there". Even with a Masters catagory (like at the MN show) when someone outside like Sharon would come the first time, they would compete with the "others" for a year anyway too, because if you are a Masters at MQS, are you always a Master at MQS, Houston, AQS, etc, etc, etc.....??

My resolution this year was to compete for the first time in a catagory I was comfortable in (OK, I was pushed and not comfortable, but it was the most comfortable for me my first time) which was Bread and Butter. The thrill of ribboning was wonderful and totally unexpected. I think this and the overall catagory are "easy entry" levels for most of us. I was a bit disappointed though that the overall was won by a computerized quilt, because there again I thought "I can't compete with that" as I don't have a computerized system. That is another whole "fair vs not fair" issue that these boards have been dealing with.

I think it is truly impossible to make everything "fair" for all. I am glad I'm not on the boards of these shows trying to please everyone, as that is not a realistic or possible goal. I think we are incredibly lucky to have these shows here in this country on this level, to be able to compete if we want, when we want, and we all benefit from them.

It was wonderful meeting many of you at MQS!! I hope many more of us enter the catagories next year. The feedback was great this year, and I think as long as you go in for the feedback and thrill of entering, not a ribbon per say, you really can't lose!

Edited for signature-- sorry!

Brenda J

A-1 Elite (Dealer)

Sturgis, SD

Welcome, Lynn and congratulations on your BOS. Great job!

I agree with Holly, there should be a Masters category for those who have won 3 BOS ribbons. There could also be a rookie category, but most often the rookie category and that is reserved for people who have quilted for a year or less. That certainly doesn't help those of us who have quilted award winning quilts for others, but certainly can't compete against the 'Masters'.

I think a Masters category that people would have to go to after they have won 3 BOS ribbons in a large International show, would actually push others harder. Others could enter that category if they wanted to, so it wouldn't be an exclusive. I might be tempted to enter that category but would have no expectations of winning, whereas then I could enter a show in the non-masters category and have some expectation of winning.

Even in our local shows, there are 'master' quilters who always win. I think if the big shows went with the Masters category, the smaller shows would follow suit. As I walk around shows, I hear a lot of people saying they would love to be good enough someday to enter a quilt, but they know they will never reach that level. I think that having a separate category would really promote more people entering the show.

And all of this is not to take away anything from those of you who are out there that are the Masters. We love you, we learn lots from you, we strive to be as good as you and you are wonderful to share and teach and contribute.

Well, I should have seen Claudia M's reply before I posted. She has given a totally different perspective. Of course, I couldn't have read it, as it was posted while I was composing my reply. ;-)

One thing, is obviously, that category is not the right word. What I was thinking when saying category, is not like the Applique category, etc, but rather a broader 'bucket' that would still have all those categories under it. So the masters would be able to enter more than one quilt.

But she does bring up many valid points for not separating the masters out. Definitely food for thought. Thanks, Claudia

How about this idea. If there are those who want a separate class/category for Master quilters, why not build a whole different venue/show just for Master Quilters? Leave MQS and all the shows presently established as they are! If someone wants a show just for "ART" quilts, build a whole new venue/show just for ART quilts. If there is a desire for the old traditional pieced and quilted quilts, let's see a whole show devoted to that category. THAT would sure cure the chaos of these mega-category productions. In other words, if you don't like the rules, start another game somewhere else. Don't water down what we already have. Segregating those who are more skilled and more artistic and who just happen to win two or more ribbons in a row doesn't sound right.

Don't mean to step on toes. Just my thought.:)

i cannot imagine a quilt show of all Master quilters...it would be like sensory overload...how could you take it all in at once? The mix of quilts is what makes quilt shows intersting, you never know what is behind the next corner...or beside each other.

Guest Linda S

Okay - Devil's advocate here. For those of you who don't think the playing field is level -- how much time and effort have to invested in your business/art? I'm not asking about how much to paid for your machine or your tools, but how many shows have you attended? How many classes have you taken? And, most importantly, how much time do you allow for your own quilts on your machine? Do you quilt the same old stuff all the time hoping to achieve greatness by doing panto after panto? Have you tried new techniques hoping to find your niche? Or have you pieced the same old quilts from other people's patterns and expected to win big with them?

In case you haven't noticed, you need to do something fine, original, and gorgeous. That's not to say that your quilts aren't pretty. Or your quilts aren't well-quilted. You need to do the best you can to push the envelope, do the best you can and do it better than everyone else. I haven't won all that many big prizes, but I have pushed myself to learn bigger and better things along the way. My first entry ever into our county fair had to be done in the Pro class, against women who had been quilting decades longer than I had. I won the blue, and two other blues (on my customers quilts) in the same show. Don't expect to win on the same old stuff. Invest in yourself and your art. Take some classes, buy some books, learn something new and do it! Those "famous quilter" names got there because they do special stuff!

Linda

I'm not sure that showing your concern means you're whining because you're not good enough and you don't practice.

I like the amateur/pro status. I am not a quilt designer or an artist. I do not have a tool or a business that I need to sustain from my award winning quilts. I do have a quilting business and I love what I do. I don't have any urge to spend the next year designing and quilting a quilt to compete with those who do. Lets face it, this dry witted scientist has tapped the creativity well and my freakish artistic abitity has amazed all who knew me when.

The pros aren't competing with me and I'm not probably not competing with them. Why can't there be two competitions? I think that if you prove yourself a pro in the amatuer competition you should then compete as a pro.

I would also be up for a kit competition what would really show your abiltiy to hear a quilt whisper. Same fabric, same design.

Originally posted by Sams Mom

I would also be up for a kit competition what would really show your abiltiy to hear a quilt whisper. Same fabric, same design.

Please check out the Innovations Creativity Challenge. It is exactly what you are looking for!

www.mqinnovations.com

Hey Donna, I submitted a quilt for the Creativity Challenge last year at Innovations. I used the feathered heart that I got from Claudia Pfiel's class last year. It is my favorite quilt and I got some good comments.

I see that we have lots of ideas and opinions. I would never want to lose the quilts made by the masters. I hope my words were not interpreted that way. I would like to see the Masters in all quilt categories. These are the quilts that inspire us all.

What I probably did not make clear is that I think that each category should have different levels, with Master being the highest level. I don't know how that would be judged since I am not a judge. I just think that it is worth considering and that is what I told Mary Hibbs.

And speaking of talking to an IMQA member, here is a link provided to me by a friend. The board always does a post-show review. If you have ideas, this is the place to send them.

http://www.imqa.org/Contact.htm

Archived