to SID or not to SID, that's the question

WendyJ

I end up doing at least some SID on almost of the quilts I quilt. I have done very few E2E quilts. I do more border to border freehand with a separate border design. And I do SID around the border. I just like the way it looks and it really doesn't take me that much longer.

As far as individual block it depends on what I am doing. If I am doing CC, Terry Twist or line dancing, I may not SID. I am actually doing more and more SID on my customer quilts.

By the way, I just got the Itty Bitty SID ruler from Off the Edge and I LOVE that thing. If you don't already have a ruler that has the little tabs that you put at the ditch and the indent for your hopping foot to slide down, they are really worth the investment. I got mine last week at MQS and have done 2 quilts with it this week. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes.

Originally posted by sspingler

I quilt on almost every quilt also.

Sorry, I could not resist this! I am glad you quilt all of your quilts. I know you mean you sid on every quilt.

I like to sid as I go too. Then fill spaces. I agree it helps to stabilize things a bit.

I may have to try the itty bitty ruler. I use an 8" straight ruler, but need something to fit better in my hands.

Thank you ladies. I defenitely go to buy that itty bitty ruler. I haven't bought any rulers yet except for the hartley base that comes with two rulers. The small one worked for me so far, but I do find it hard to guess the distance between the edge of the hopping foot and the ditch.

Wendy

• 1 month later...

Funny, I was just thinking about this on Saturday as I pondered whether or not to add some SID to the quilt I was working on. I do SID on almost everything. Like Sharon said, it gives the a more "finished" look. My rule of thumb is, if you think it might need SID, it does. So I added some to the quilt I worked on over the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wendy - When I do a custom quilt, I go through the whole quilt with SID, from top to bottom, including borders etc. This stabalizes the whole quilt for me and I can disconnect the one roller and move the quilt safely back and forth if I need to. The reason I do this is if I'm doing for example feathers or McTavishing, I find that if I do some the next day, it may look a little different then the day before. Just the way I work I guess.

Archived