Perfect quilting shoe

this is an interesting thread. I used to always wear my crocks but since I tripped over a stick and cracked my knee I find I need something a little bit more so am wearing Northside sandles, Love them and when I can get away with it my flip flops. I'm with you Shana, barefeet for my DSM. So Kristina what do you wear on your other foot?:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love having bare feet and have found Vibram five fingers to be the most amazingly comfortable things I have ever worn. One reviewer described them as the most expensive socks he had ever bought and well, he isn't far wrong, but I love them.

Ferret

I bought a pair of Vibram 5 fingers today! A little strange putting them on, but I think I will love them. :P

OMG! I have never heard of the Vibram 5 fingers so I just googled and checked out the web site. Wow! I can see these would be great for hiking through trails that have some low water crossings... very cool!

I wonder what kind of looks I would get if I wore these things to the grocery store?? :P:P :P:P

If they come with steel toes I'll bet Kristina will want some, too. :cool: (lol just kidding)

post--13461901895965_thumb.jpg

Bekah...too funny. I go barefoot on my right foot while sewing on my dsm. Like Shana and Bonnie I like to feel my machine pedal. My steel toe boot is on my left foot.

And Shana, my dear, I looked at the Vibrams 5 fingers...I would need to try them on however. Vibram makes great soles. I am sure they would be comfortable...would just want to see how they fit first. And yes, if you get them and wear them to the grocery...have someone take pictures. Also, Bonnie is right, you might to wear safety orange to avoid being mistaken as Sasquatch. :P

you do get funny looks, but you also get stopped by people who want a pair. I've been living in mine.

I am another one who has to have bare feet for the DSM. I will report back on the five fingers. I suspect, having driven my car a fair bit in them, they will be close enough to bare feet for me, which will be very handy when teaching.

I only tried the five fingers because I have had so many things with vrbram soles. They do have a lot of information one their site about fit and what things might make them not fit. I discovered I have one badly behaved toe that tries to hide in other toes fingers, but it is getting over that

Ferret

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

OMG! I have never heard of the Vibram 5 fingers so I just googled and checked out the web site. Wow! I can see these would be great for hiking through trails that have some low water crossings... very cool!

I wonder what kind of looks I would get if I wore these things to the grocery store?? :P:P :P:P

If they come with steel toes I'll bet Kristina will want some, too. :cool: (lol just kidding)

Wow!! I would like a pair if they came in as steel toes. I just can see the guys....:P:P:P:P I would be writing them up for rolling on the floor in the fiberglass.

Kristina, It is nice to know that we all are quilters with other inspirations, motivations and careers. I am always amazed at the number of us who are professional women that use this as relaxation.

Maybe we out to talk to Vibram about making a steel toe model. Denice and I could try them out. Then all the guys would be rotfltao. How funny.

I am definitely in the minority as a female at the mine. The contractor I help oversee only has 1 female, and she is an airhead. She can't even get us the proper paperwork for the work they performed. I am definitely operating in a man's world...but it is kind of fun. I have earned the respect of those I work around. I am a contractor too, so I get to come and go. Still get to quilt on days when not much is happening. I LOVE it! :)

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

...I am definitely operating in a man's world...but it is kind of fun. I have earned the respect of those I work around. I am a contractor too, so I get to come and go. Still get to quilt on days when not much is happening. I LOVE it! :)

Kristina,

We have a lot in common, I think. I work on the pipeline. Actually I work in the office but in my early years, I used to work out in the field. But, all of our guys are heavy equipment operators, welders, general laborers or maintenance technicians keeping valves and pipeline pump stations running. When I was in my early 20s I worked in the corporate offices, and starting at age 25 until now (I'm 46) I have been in the construction industry. You cannot pry me away from it ever again! I love working with my construction engineers and all of our blue collar boys. They are the hardest working guys in the world. And, even in the office I get to wear jeans and sneakers if I want to. The thought of going back to the corporate environment and having to wear suits and panty hose and high heel pumps ... no thanks! :P I like working in a man's world. They are much easier to work with!

Shoes are such an individual thing because everyone's foot is so different, and what works for one probably won't work for another. However, I have to tell you my miracle bunion curing shoe - Birkenstocks! I was shocked to be starting to develop a bunion when there was no history of feet problems anywhere in all four branches of my family. I ordered a toe splint that pulled the big toe away from the foot and that helped somewhat. My (very young) niece (who has a bunion) suggested Birkenstock shoes, so I bought them (expensive but they're worth it), and my bunion pain went away immediately. I was astounded. I know of people who have suffered for years and end up having surgery, etc., etc., while my bunion was cured early on (after only a couple of months). Birkenstocks are rather ugly, but I am past the age of caring what my shoes look like. I plan to wear only Birkenstocks the rest of my life and strongly recommend them!

My Vibram 5 fingers are feelin' good! The 1st few times putting them on was a little tuff! I kept having an extra toe volunteering to go into the wrong place. Since I have worn them several times, I can almost slip them on without 2 toes going into the same spot:D They feel great! Almost like being barefoot but with protection.

Pat, do the MBT take getting used to? I looked at the website and they look like a dream shoe.

Those Five Finger shoes would drive me crazy. I can't even wear the five toe socks! They make my toes sore.

I usually wear Keen sandals and dress Mary Janes. I had a pair of Crocks but they are worn out. I've been bare footing it lately. I like a variety of footwear--I'm not sold on just one pair. Actually my favorite shoe to wear around the house are Keds---just like Mr. Rogers used to wear.:P

I was teaching yesterday in my five fingers, and I can indeed sew on a DSM with them on. I didn't even think about it until afterwards. For a confirmed bare foot stitcher, it's a bit of a surprise.

I had overly friendly toes when I first got mine, but you're right your toes quite quickly get the idea.

Ferret

Ferret, thanks for suggesting the Five Fingers shoes. I got mine on Friday and they are definitely the perfect fit for me! I cannot tell you how thrilled I am with them. Of course I am raving to anyone who pauses to listen!

I'm planning to get a few pairs so I won't just wear them out.

Archived