bobbin case issue

Well, I have done a search on this, but can't seem to find anything. I hope someone can offer some advice. Every time I wind a new bobbin, I like to wind my own, and put it in the bobbin case, pop it in the machine, I try to pull the bobbin thread up to start a new stitch and it locks up. I have to keep pulling thread off the bobbin, sometimes as much as half a bobbin before it will pull up smoothly again. This is a brand new bobbin case and spring thingy, it happens with the old bobbin case and the new one. I am getting very frustrated throwing away so much thread and the time it takes to get started again every time I need to start a new bobbin. Please help!

Barb,

My quilting machine is old. At the time of purchase of course included was a bobbin winder. The thing never worked properly and was noisy. I had the same problem you are having. In some places the tension was not correct on the bobbin. So I started getting prewound bobbins. I have never looked back!

Ginny

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a stand alone bobbin winder, check the tension there. It may be too tight? I just don't get the part of you having to unwind half a bobbin to get the correct tension. Any problem I can think of would be the same for a full bobbin or a half bobbin. Put your bobbin in and turn the flywheel by hand and watch to see what is happening with a full bobbin and a half bobbin. Is the top thread picking up correctly? Is the thread hooking on something? Things like that. Sorry I can't come up with something better. The thing that seems to cure all my problems with thread is that little ring of fuzz that forms around the back of the shaft that holds the bobbin. It won't let the bobbin seat correctly. They are hard to see so I use a pin and kind of hook it till I can get a hold on it. Frustrating I'm sure.

Barb, how old is this bobbin case? Over time they do go bad (inner spring looses tension or dropped too many times it gets bent). I suggest you keep a few "new" bobbin cases on hand and when they start to give you fits, toss those puppies in the trash can pronto! I had this happen to me and was frustrated like you and viola! after using a new bobbin case all the trouble went away.

Bobbins go bad, too. You could have a bad bobbin. Toss it out.

It sounds like your hook assembly is not rotating to the proper position to release the thread. Try rotating it forward a bit with the wheel and see if the thread releases. You may need to adjust the mag collar to make the machine stop in the correct location. Call your Dealer and they should be able to help you.

John

One of my favorite expressions is "chortling gleefully" meaning something "interesting" has been said or done and you are showing your appreciation!!

As in "Linda was chortling gleefully after seeing her evil boss finally getting what he deserved.":P:P:P

Archived