Koala or Horn quilting cabinets???

I have the koala quilters model, don't remember which one but it has side extension to make a U shape as well as the large flip up in the back for domestic machine quilting. Of course since the long arm it stays folded down for the additional space is taken up for the LA. I have had it for over 5 years and it has held up well. just like new, never had the first problem.

I have a Horn chest with six drawers that has held up well. My sewing cabinet is from www.uniquesewingfurniture.com It is all wood, no particle board. It has a leaf on the back and is large enough that I can use both sides. My machine goes on the lift at one side and and I have a second chair at the otherside with lots of room to do whatever.

Sue

I have a Horn cabinet, model #2156, and I am very happy with it. I've had it for about 5 years now; still looks like new. I reaplaced the inset several times as I replaced sewing machines.

I just bought (Memorial Day) a cutting table, model #2111. My JoAnn's cutting table was getting very shaky, so I thought it was time to spend some bucks and get a sturdy table.

Both are in Sunset Oak. They also come in white.

I have Horn of America cabinets, 2 machine cabinets, ( one with the back leave and the serger arm to the right, the other a straight machine design) also, 2 six drawer cabinets and the 4 drawer serger cabinet. There were two things that sold me on Horn over Koala (I checked both). I like the lift system on Horn instead of the cable lift on Koala, and the movement of the drawers was much smoother on the Horn. The larger Koala that compared to the larger Horn that I had, just had little plastic swing holders instead of drawers. Not enough storage for me.

I have a horn. I believe it is the quilters dream as it has the table that flips out behind the machine. It also has an insert that you can put on top of the drawer when it is pulled out to the left of the machine. I love this extra room. In addition I bought one of those small flip up tables made for r.v's and put it on the right of the machine to hold my tools. I love my setup. I find the extra flip up table I added really added to how much I love the table, but even without it, it is a good table. I use 2 different machines on it.

I think the Koala and the Horn cabinets are very beautiful, but I have neither one. (Maybe some day I can get one!! :) But in the mean time, to save some $$ I just bought a sturdy solid oak dining room table at the furniture store for $250.00 and I slid some of those plastic storage drawer thingys underneath the table. Yeah, it's not pretty but it works and the table is nice and big with plenty of space to set two machines.

I don't have a cute koala teddy bear but I do have a stuffed blue monkey and a little husky dog. The chicken went to Tennessee to live with Teresa.:cool:

post--13461901949781_thumb.jpg

I have the horn quilters table with the flip up extension in back and the chest of drawers that slides under the left side. DH made a drop leaf for the right side about 10 inches across the front and the same depth as the table so I'd have space for my big H2O bottle and pincushion and scissors.

I had my new lexan insert made at the local glass shop as it was cheaper the buying a new one from a dealer. Since I have my LA I use the flip up for my DGDs when they come to sew or a quilter friend visits.

I also havethesewing cabinet with the back extension and side cabinet for the serger. Have had those for at least 20 yrs along with the cutting table which I love for cuttting clothing as well as quilts. It's all very sturdy and has held up beautifully.

My only complaint is that the drawers aren't full extension and I had a real time getting stuff in back. I put the full extension slides on the myself 2 yrs ago. Now it's all perfect!!

I recently had a quilter tell me she wished she'dbought the Horn instead of the Koalabecause of the lack of storage the Koala offered.

Good luck on your purchase.

6/10

I treated myself to a Koala cabinet set when I redid my sewing room, probably about 5 years ago. I have the sewing machine cabinet with two slide out drawer sets and extentions and a large cabinet with drawers -- I love it. Well made, still looks like new.

Patsy

I have a Horn Quilters Dream with the extension at back and the drawer cabinet that goes under the space on the left. Very happy with it. My husband bought me a Koala cabinet that has back extension, place for sewing /embroidery machine and serger extension to the right and love it equally as well . Recently attended a sew/quilt week-end and bought the Dualmate cabinet that accommodates two of the new oversized sewing /embroidery machines with insert extensions and storage, remotes to put machines up or down in the cabinet in the new birds eye maple finish It is being delivered on the 16th of this month. Can hardly wait! I have a entire house next to our home which was my dad's and have turned it into entire sewing and quilting studio.There I have my new MiL on the 14 ft table in a huge room which is my quilt room with the closet that store the rolls of batting In the main living area there is the sewing cabinets, machines spool cabinets and racks to store supplies I have a group come each Mon eve to work at a project that is agreed upon . There is a flat panel TV, boombox and Ipod dock with soundbar I am retired and this was a dream come true and is a daily retreat At some point I may put up some photos

Archived