CUSTOMER WANTS QUILT BACK

Well I just had a big disappointment and well I had to share it.

I picked up a quilt last week 112x 112 that was Cross-stitched and like purchased wholecloth quilts had the Print of Hearts 5 or 6 in each block different sizes that and the customer wanted it quilted following this design. All I had to do was Sew on the Lines all the Hearts etc. I told her I would have to look at the top before quoting but it would probly be .015 to.025. I came home with the top and Backing and called her with a quote of .02 and she felt that was too much so I compromised (she's elderly) and said that I would do it for .015 but no less. She still sat on the phone and very sadly tells me the last quilt she had done was only $200. I told her I had already compromised and that.015 was the bottom dollar. Inside I was mad at myself for having compromised at all but I keep my word so I listened. I told her I would be happy to return the quilt to her or to the local shop where I picked it but that I would not do it for less. It did not feel good.

I really feel like .020 was a Bargain. The quilt will be labor intensive.

I let her know I had respect for her decision to get it done cheaper but that I would not waiver on my price. So there you are and I feel just rotten about it.

Lee said I let myself get taken advantage of especially when it comes to elderly people. He said and I quote "Don't you remember the Caddy she was in when you picked up the quilt" and encouraged me not to do the job for less than I should.

I pray I made the right decision.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Sometimes you have to make tough choices in this game! You did the right thing. As much as it hurts to let that one go, you made the right business decision.

Dropping your price for her may have led to a disaster! Some older folks are quite savvy with money and you have to be careful. You should not cheapen yourself or your work, no matter what your heart says. :) If you had given her a low, low price, she would have told all her friends and then you would get all their business too---with all of them expecting bargain prices! You could become a "dog" for them! It wouldn't take long for you to get pretty upset---and you may end up getting other local long-armers upset with you for taking business with your bargain prices!

I was in a situation not too long ago where an elderly woman phoned me three different times about doing a double wedding ring quilt. I told her that I didn't feel comfortable quoting her a price without seeing the quilt and suggested that she come to my house, I meet her at a LQS, etc. She ended up just asking for a range of prices--by the 3rd phone call! I never did get her business, but she did tell me that my prices were WAY TOO HIGH. Well, my prices are the same as everyone else in the area. I found out later that she is tiger when it comes to money. She lives in a house that puts mine to shame, drives a car that is almost piggish in price, and has more bling on her finger than is decent!

On the phone she had sounded meek and feeble, but I found out that is her "act." Very funny!

Your prices are set for a reason. You are a professional and that's the way it is. A small discount here and there can be great for business, but bargain prices only cheapen you and the integrity of your work.

YOU DID GOOD!

Tammie: Look at it as a glass half full instead of a glass half empty. Be glad you gave it back to her because if you were charging her .015, you were defiintely on the losing end of that deal. When anyone contacts me about a pre-printed quilt, the price starts at .035 because most of those are not printed to be done continuously .. lots of stops and starts.

Fill her spot with someone who is paying you for what your time is worth!

My fear is that when someone feels like they're paying too much for something, they are going to be really picky about what they get back and those are the customers who will think they've paid too much and gotten too little. Anytime starts nickel and diming my prices, they get the quilt back.

As far as discount for seniors (or anyone), you have a machine to pay for, I have a kid to put through college and when we go to get our services for whatever we need, I don't see a "kid in college" discount at my dentist or where I get my hair cut, etc.

We have our prices and if the customer wants quilting done by us, they smile and say "thank you" and hand over the cash! ;)

Judy I know you are so right about this.

I am going to learn from this and as you said look at the glass as being half full. I was already willing to do it too cheap to begin with. I have not done one of these type quilts before so I looked at it as a learning opportunity but Like Darlene stated in another post "I can go work for McDonald for minimum wage and not worry about the Christmas Rush and have no DEBT to be concerned with"

or something of that nature

I have done over 30 QUILTS since the first of the year and All my customers have been totally thrilled and mentioned nothing about cost to me. It was no big deal. This lady was a referral from one of my very nice customers.

I 'm feeling like everything works out for a reason and I have to trust that.

Tammie,

I think you did the thing that was right for you. This is your busines and should be treated so. byt you and others. At times it's hard to stick by your guns. But you can be proud an move on. How many 400+ dollar quits done for 200 or less has she had done. Or did she get what she paid for.

Myrna

OK Tammie, and what if after you quilted the quilt very cheaply she found another quilt she needed to be quilted just the same = would you give her the same price on that one.

Set your price and stick to your guns.

Anyway cross hatching is such a pain you could be doing 3 edge to edge in the time it takes to do one thats cross-hatched.

Sue in Australia

Well I had my DH return the top to a local shop for the lady to pick up when she is in town again.

The shop owner said she would have warned me had she known and completely supported my decision not to do the quilt. Apparently this lady has a reputation for being difficult to please. The shop owner said it was her loss that I wasn't chosen to do the quilt. That was a wonderful compliment and I feel much better about it now.

This was not a referral from the shop that has been so supportive of me but a referral from one of the customers that I did a quilt for. I am blessed that all the referrals so far from the local quilt shop has been nothing but the finest customers a girl could ask for.

It's nice to have such wonderful people in your corner. Thanks to all of you for your understanding. I really appreciate you all.

I can't tell you how valuable this particular thread has been for me today. I have had the EXACT same problems with people grousing about price and I guess since I'm so new at this I let my insecurities get in the way. Sometimes I don't believe my own eyes that the product is as good as everyone (so far) has said it is. We are our own worst critic, I know, so I deal with those feelings a lot. I'm proud of you, Grammie and it makes me feel a lot more empowered. (Remember the song "Confidence" sung by Julie Andrews in "The Sound of Music"? We all need to sing that song sometimes!) LOL

When I have customers trying to argue on the price, I sometimes offer "less quilting for less money", like a simple or medium allover instead of custom. You cannot get an evening dress for the price of a working suit.

Anyway, I think it's good you gave that customer her quilt back.

Wish you lots of self-confidence,

Marie-Christine

Grammie,

I have discovered that people who seem to have a lot of money are very good at getting what they consider "the best price" for what they buy. Wilma Cogliantry from Christian Lane Quilters said that longarmers need to remember that we are not here to "subsidize" someone's hobby. This is our profession. I think of that and tell myself that if people wish to go elsewhere that is their privilege, but I always give my customers my best. I have gotten appreciation and respect for that. You don't need to feel badly. Keep up the good work!

Susie B.

A lady called me about a week ago with a simmiular situation.

She is a snow bird (a person who spends the winters here in Arizona and her summers in Wisconsin). She wanted me to do a king sized quilt for her in an edge to edge design. When I quoted her my price $188.16 she told me that she only paid $100.00 for one of simiular size back in Wisconsin. I was firm on my price and did mention that I did offer a promotion of 25% off my basic quilting service in January if she wanted to hold onto it until she returned in the fall. She said she would (even though the cost was still going to be more than what she paid for in Wisconsin) she also confessed to me then that the other quilt she had done was not as nice as the job that I was doing for the other ladies at the resort she was staying at and that the quilt was not basted along the sides and the quilt came back terribly unsquared. She admitted before she hung up the phone that she guess that she got what she paid for back in Wisconsin...for this lady there is still hope ;)

Hang in there Grammie, you are better off without the hassels of the low ball customer.

Joann

Hi Grammie:

I think you returned a real headache when you sent this quilt back.....

A long time ago I learned this valuable advice from gals that had been in this busines a while.

"IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SOMEONE ELSE'S HOBBY AFFORDABLE".....

Shoulders back, hold your head high girl!!!

This is advice I received and try to follow:

(1) When you enter your shop (studio, sewing room, whatever) door, park your emotions at the door. Put up a cute little envelope, with a code for 'parked emotions.'

(2) You are now working--for yourself and for your family. Thank about this very carefully. Would you take food from your child's mouth to give someone a discount? Would you deny your spouse clothing because a customer said she needed this quilting done for less?

(3) When you have honestly answered No. 2, pat yourself on the back and tell yourself you have your priorities in the correct order, you love your family and your work is worth what you charge.

(4) Saying no to a known negative situation is saying yes to your inner peace.

Take care, yes, you did the right thing.

Deborah

NJ

• 4 years later...

I also support you on this idea, as we are artists, with a long-arm and thread as our paintbrush and pallet. The quilts are our canvas on which we paint our patterns and hopefully they complement the patchwork or applique. I often will decide I wish to showcase my skills and will do that on one of my own quilts before I do a customer's. That way they can see the results before they decide the type of quilting. Surely, if they wanted a mass produced quilt they would have bought one. Or maybe they need to try quilting it themselves?

You were absolutely right to let it go. You don't need difficult customers. They can really make this job miserable.

One of the things I love about having my quote system is I can say I go by the computer, it says the price is this, sorry I can't change it. People are so used to hearing that these days they don't usually quibble. It's also a very good way to avoid me short changing myself. I am already working very long hours I don't need to do more for someone who won't even appreciate it.

Ferret

All such good advice, I had a similar problem about a year ago, this person wanted to know if he gave me 4 quilts to do could he have a discount. I said no and he worked hard at trying to get some kind of discount. No discount and we eventually came to a price - he kept saying that all he wanted was SID, and I explained that was labor intensive on 4 lonestar quilts. I eventually gave him his quilts back as he had done some kind of thick seam down the middle of the backings like they do on jeans. I told him that if he would correct the seams I would keep him in line and quilt his quilts. Well I guess that made him mad as he didn't talk to me and I never heard from him again - which was fine for many other reasons...so that one worked itself out. But in talking to the other LA'rs here (and I guess he does not think we know each other), he has tried to get the same discounts from them and now has no LA in this area that will quilt for him...so now he says he goes to NC, and I guess is now someone else's problem...long story to say that is prob where your customer came from...no one else would work with her... but I too use my computer to price and find that works well for me too.

Archived