good enough for innovations?

Some of you might remember this little wall hanging quilt. I am thinking that I would like to bind and block it, then enter it into Innovations this year. I don't have time to make something new, except the challenge piece.

Tell me honestly! I want to hear the gorey truth.

Is it good enough?

post--13461902094735_thumb.jpg

Tracey I got the arc and rays one day, watched the DVD's twice the next day, and drew this pattern the next day. I was so excited to get them. I just love them.

I'm going to post some close ups so you all can help me decide if this quilt is really good enough to enter.

It looks good to me. The flying geese are wonderful. I really like them. The colors are wonderful. The star in the middle is wonderful.

My only suggestion would be to add some more quilting in the black. Maybe flatten down every other ray with a freehand filler? Maybe flatten opposite ones inside and outside the pink circle? Renae's DVD's probably have some ideas.

My personal opinion is that as far as you have gone I think it is great, however, I do think that the black area needs to be filled in more with black thread, I think using any other color would distract from the colors on the geese and mariners compass. In the colored section the quilting is more dense than in the black so it needs to be balanced more in between the white rays that travel out from the center to the edges. just my humble opinion, others may agree or disagree, but if it were mine and I was wanting to enter it that is what I would do. The quilt is amazing and you have done an beautiful job with it.

Thanks for your honest opinion. That's what I want.

No sugar coating please. Critic it like it was entered in a show you were judging. I want it to be GOOD.

Now, what kind of design would look good in the black rays? Something swirly maybe, or pebbles? Maybe just lines or flames. HMMMMM

Teresa

I would hesitate to go with the pebbles unless you could incorporate them within a smaller area. once you commit to doing them there is an awful lot of space to cover and you will be doing pebbles in your dreams. I thought about flames myself something like what doodlebug did on her last quilt that she posted. Did you got to her site and see all the pictures she had posted where from the back you could see the designs she put in the background fills. If you didnt take a look at that to get an idea. sorry without going to look for it I am not sure but it was about a week to 10 days ago.

the post is called Is it Clear jUne 24th and you have to go to the peaceful quilter website and scroll down to where the picture of that quilt is. under the front of the quilt you will see a few pictures of the back. click on some of the pictures of the back to bring it up closer and you will see the designs that she used to fill it in. I know it looks like alot of work, but I think that is what will take your quilt over the top in competition! Good luck and please posts pictures if you decide to do more work on it. I actually have a quilt that I feel the same way about only I have not begun to quilt it yet. It is an amazing top and needs to have the quilting to match. I just am not confident in my abilities as yet to tackle it. But I am ppp all the time and working up to this as my entry for our march 2010 show.

Hi Teresa--

Your quilt is great--I love the suggestions you have received. I also think the black areas would be stunning with black fillers.

Just for information purposes, at Innovations, quilts are accepted until the space fills or the deadline passes--whichever comes first. Quilts are not juried. In previous years an entered quilt was critiqued by at least two instructors and the info was sent home with the quilt--strictly private. The ribbons are awarded by popular vote. Each visitor to the show may fill out a ballot for their favorite in each category. Three ribbons are usually awarded per category in the peer judging.

This year there will be a professional AQS Certified judge (Doris Goins) who will judge and award ribbons as well---this is new this year.

Innovations leads the way--it awards two ribbons per quilt--one for piecing and one for quilting.

Hope to see lots of APQS forum chatters this year!:)

Hey T! I LOVE this quilt! You did a fabulous job of putting it together and quilting it... I do think the black areas should be "knocked" down with some more quilting... That said, I don't know what I would use, maybe something like "rays" I think you'll be happier with it - and I would definately use black thread... Show us more when you are done!!!

Teresa,

I too think you did a great job. I was just watching Renae's DVD yesterday. she is a great instructor. I really hope she ends up doing a dvd of her technicalities class. I took that at MQX this year and it was so interesting. I agree that you need to treat that background area with black thread. You could do a few different backgrounds. Treat each area as a separate area. For instance in the center do some kind of echoed design. You could echo the points or you could do a curvy echo. You could pepple the area around the flying geese and then do another design in the outside area. I can't wait to see what you come up with. This a really beautiful quilt.

I really like this quilt. My suggestion is to beef it up as everyone has suggested and submit it. Let the judges give you feedback. You will learn from what they are looking for. I know each judge judges somewhat differently, but that is what you want. Honest constructive show help. Since you made this quilt in it's entirety, you will get feedback for piecing and quilting.

My two cents, I do not use black on black. I use a dark plum. It is easier to see when quilting and gives a very subtle look in the black area without major contrast. Try a small section on a piece of scrap and see if it works for you.

Okay, I will do something in the black, at least in every other ray. BUT I have NO idea what to do. I've doodled a few things but nothing looks good. I don't want to pull the eye away from the circling geese.

I think I will call this quilt Follow Me.

I wish the geese had turned out better, but it's the first time I 've done the circular piecing. I don't do well with arcs and circles.

Shannon, any suggestions for the black areas?

Teresa,

Enter it when you are pleased with it. By entering a win is always the greatest, but first we learn. get it judged, she what judges think, then enter it into a different show and see if the comments are the same. Different judges, different opinions. The benefit is that we strive to grow and to learn and you have already succeeded in that so go ahead and enter.

Abigail

Archived