Pain between my shoulder blades

Is this normal??? I've been quilting like a crazy person and now my back is hurting. I've had two back surgeries all ready but that was on my lower back. This is up high. Is it the quilting??? It's been hurting for almost 3 weeks. Any suggestions??

Virginia,

I would look at the height of your machine. Are your elbows at a 90 degree line, higher or lower? That would be the problem. Are you tense when you are quilting? Try telling yourself to relax your shoulders. I've never had pain between my shoulder blades but my guess is that yes it could be from quilting. I sit while I'm quilting and I find that took a lot of the stress off my back.

I'm a sit down, push through quilter (with a George) so I'm probably using different muscles than you are. I often get upper back pain (not only from quilting but from cutting for a long period of time too) and my chiropractor gave me a very helpful stretch which requires an exercise ball. Sit on the ball, gradually 'walk' your feet away from the ball as you roll the ball up your spine. Keeping your neck supported (by the ball) relax, breathe and let your back arch (supported fully by the ball). Gosh, I hope I've explained that well enough. If I remember to stop every half hour or so and do this little stretch for a few minutes, it makes a huge difference for me. Hope this will help you (or others) with the back pain. Nancy in Tucson

I have been having pain between my shoulder blades for quite some time. I too have had lower back surgery but this was between my spine and my right shoulder blade. Sometimes so bad that I could only quilt for about 20 minutes then rest it, the quilt some more. I have also had shoulder surgery on my right arm and have tendonitis in that arm. My fear was that something drastic was wrong with my shoulder again and I had all the muscles riled up. I have been going to physical therapy for about 2 months now going through massage, ultra sound, that tingly thing, traction, and now exercise to try to get my neck, shoulder, arm and back to quit hurting. Did I mention muscle relaxers and pain killers. Finally, this week everything has calmed down.

Be sure that you are doing stretches and even some strenght training for your muscles you use while quilting. I really think if we could work on getting our core muscles strong we wouldn't have these problems. At least for me. I'm not talking about being a body builder, just keep your muscles strong.

I sometimes get a stiff back when I quilt, too, but it's because I hunch over and tense up my muscles. I have been trying to be cognizant of my posture and the ergonomics of my machine and the height. I am trying to get more in the habit of using my saddle stool (which I haven't used so much). I think I need to raise the legs on my table. Maybe tomorrow I'll do that. Raise the legs a little bit higher a few inches. That will help a lot.

I get it too. I fond it helps to add heat to the area if I am going to be doing a lot of quilting. I have shaped heat packs that go around my neck and shoulders and stick on self heating ones. I can usually stop the pain before it starts if I remember to use them soon enough.

Ferret

Been there had this for many years! It's ergonotics! If your lower back is hurting, your table is too low and making you stoop over a bit putting strain on your lower back. If the pain is between your shoulders then your table may be too high, causing you to hunch your shoulders up around your neck. There is a sweet spot in between where you can stand straight with your shoulders relaxed. Stand up, arms at yours sides and shoulders relaxed. Raise your hands bending you elbows only. At about 90 degrees you've reached the spot where the handles of your machine should hit. Don't measure by the belly bar, that's too high. Working at a desk with arthris in my neck and an old lower back injury has taught me where to set the height of my chair and the height of the desk or keyboard tray. Being tall, I have a hard time doing work in my sink at home because I have to stoop a little. My chiropractor worked with me on these things many years ago. The lift is going to be a must for me. Changing position just a tad is a huge help. HTH!

I too will sometimes do too long of quilting sessions and have found that if I do some stretching exercises with each bobbin change it will really help not hurt so much at night. One of the advantages of the smaller bobbin on APQS machines.

I hunch my shoulders to look down at a table that is too low. So I need to raise mine, which is a non trivial job so it is waiting until I take my frame down in August. General ergonomics work for a lot of people but there are a few freaks who need very different setups to avoid injury. For example we found the best place for my computer screen is with the bottom of the screen at eye level when I am sitting. It positions my neck correctly, but would be far too high for most people.

Basically if it hurts, it isn't working for you, try looking at the traditional wisdom and see if it helps, if it doesn't do keep playing, there probably is a solution for you but it may be a bit unusual.

Ferret

The first thing I thought of was heart problems. If you can relate it to your quilting posture and can fix it, then OK. But women are famous for ignoring symptoms that are heart related even if they seem in weird places.

That's what I get for being a nurse for 30+ years! (or maybe that's what you get!)

I'm trying to remember exactly and confess I can't, but it seems that there was a class taught at Innovations a year or 2 ago regarding ergonomics and LA quilting. One of the tips that was given was to take 1 yard of 3/4" elastic, stitch the ends together and form a figure 8 securing it where it crosses. Put it on with the X in the middle of your back (will be up higher than your bra). I have tried this. It makes you use better posture and helps keep your shoulders back rather than scrunching forward and up when we are really concentrating. It may be worth a try and a whole lot cheaper than the weighted one from above. You could even add some weight to this if you think it would help. Just MHO!:)

You might be overdoing things...(Why isn't there a sarcastic smiley face?)

I think I will have a few of those days in the next 2 weeks.

I reckon I have have completely undone all the good the masseuse did - which was bloomin' painful btw.

She said all the crunchy knots were build-ups of lactic acid (caused by too much OR too little exercise in particular muscles) One cure is 4 cups of Epsom Salts in a bath to leach out the lactic acid - sounds gross!

Linda Taylor's Longarm book has pictures of someone doing stretches - I've never done any...

Need to just stop and stretch, drink coffee, eat chocolate every bobbin change I guess;)

The stretches do help. I stretch every CD change. Although today it has been every tape flip. It's one of the reasons I listen to books not music. Music I would put on repeat, books I have to stop and change regularly.

The Epsom Salts trick does work, it is a bit gross and the cats don't approve at all. I've discovered the warming body scrub from Tesco helps my neck after a long day. Smells good too. I've just given up for the day. I think I've only managed about 10 hours :( I've still got a lot of work to do for the show and marketing for the book. I've put the forms up on my site if anyone feels like sharing some with their quilt groups.

Early night for me

Take care of those necks backs and shoulders, you only get one set.

Ferret

Thanks girls for all the wonderful advice. I can't lower my table because it is as low as it goes. I'm only 5 ft tall. I did get the hydralic lift so I guess I will try quilting on a stool. I'm a RN also with 30 + years also LeAnn and considered my heart as well. Someone on here had a tread on that and to be honest I considered that. We did rule that out and it seems to be just the quilting. I haven't had my Millie very long and it pretty much started after I got her. I'm going to try the Epsom Salt thing because I do have those "crunch knots" that Linzi talked about.:P Ferret, where do you get the Tesco warming body scrub. That sounds like a good idea. I don't know how you quilt for 10 hrs without hurting. I don't quilt for others. I bought my Millie just for me so I don't have that much quilting to do. I am PPP though. Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I'm going to read and try them all. I think I am just tense because I'm so intimidated by my machine.:)

Hi Virginia!

I am only 5' tall (ha! 5' short) also!! while I was at MQS; Myrna Fricken suggested to raise my table. She said she likes hers to be at her rib cage instead of her waist. Of course my waist (not that I have one anymore), is really close to my ribs. But I did raise my table a bit and it helped my upper back pain, that comes, I think from bending over at the neck. Try different things! When I worked in an office I would get a sharp pain in my neck and down the shoulder blade. That was from working at a computer all day.

Hope you feel tip top right quick!!

Archived