need sashing ideas(new picture)

I know many of you must have quilted one of these 4 patch swirl quilts before. I have one up next to quilt and I am going to use a stencil in the blocks that wont touch the center to avoid the seams, but I am stumped on what to quilt in this small three piece sashing strip. Any ideas appreciated. I know this is a busy quilt but I still want to do some custom quilting on it as it will probably go in our show if it turns out well enough. the fabrics are gorgeous they are Hoffman International bought by my husband in Bahrain 10 years ago while he was on a deployment. Really funny story about that but no time to tell right now. picture not to good but you can get the idea and I will post a better picture later from home. thanks

post--1346190216696_thumb.jpg

THANKS HEIDI

The setting square is plain. the inner strip is the same fabric as the setting square and the outer strips are fairy frost gold., they are all only about 3/4 to an inch wide. not much room for designs unless they are all treated as one>

Hi Jeanne,

If the four patches are floral, here is a lattice sashing I quilted with a fairly open fantasy floral/leaf design.

I placed a big flower of some sort in the cornerstones for added intersest and the openness of the design made it easy to move down the sashing without visible starts and stops.

I think I used Monolon or else a So Fine cream so the texture would show but not overpower the Ladies.

A similar design could be used with leaves only if you aren't happy with flowers.

post--13461902166732_thumb.jpg

Love your border sashing Linda, it would work if I treat the sashing as one, but like Heidi says it might distract. the quilt is quite busy. maybe sid would be the best bet, Ugh! Means I really have to concentrate!! Debbie I thought about that middle design but mine looks as wonky as yours even without a mounse. I start out fine and then I dont know what happens after about 4 or5 repitions it goes awry!!

Jeanne, the quilt looks beautiful! I did one that was the same pattern and just CC'd the blocks to show off the pattern and then did the two feathers/swirl thing in the sashing. I don't have a picture here, but I can send you one from home. My sashing may have been an inch wide...not really sure.

Please send a bigger picture of the quilt and don't forget to share the story!

I said earlier there was a funny story that went along with this fabric. Well my husband was in the Navy at the time and had port stop overs in different countries. He wanted to know what he could buy for me while he was overseas and of course I said bring me FABRIC. I had heard that they had kiosks in Bahrain where they sold there fabrics in an open air type of market. While in foreign countries the rules were that they had a buddy system. You could not go off the ship alone you needed a buddy. So my husband did not want to ask his buddies to go fabric shopping with him. He said I can see myself saying Hey JOE, you want to go buy fabric with me!! :D:DI told him if he didnt then I would get the commanding officer to assign a female to accompany him to the fabric shops. well he finally relented and did find a guy who mentioned that you could get really cheap suits tailor made at these places so they went and he bought me fabric.

both the focus fabric which was kind of a border type and the smaller print accent green he brought back. I added the gold fairy frost to it. The hoffman fabrics have the feel and look of silk. the rest of the fabrics that he brought back were more like sheer curtain fabric which was not at all for quilting. So after this fabric sitting in my stash for almost 10 years I finally found the perfect use for it and this quilt will be for my BOB as he put up with the teasing and joking about going to buy fabric for me.

up close of some of the blocks. I love this 4 patch swirl pattern the different designs you get are so beautiful

post--13461902167235_thumb.jpg

Jeanne--Love the story!! and what a great way to preserve the memory!! I have quilted that Fairy Frost before--and the texture and sheen that comes with it is just gorgeous--I would consider putting something in those--even if it is just a 1/4' outline.

Just my thoughts!!

Himself bought me some raw silk for maternity outfits.. Our oldest is now 50, so you can guess about how long ago that was. LOL I don't wanna think about it.

That fabric didn't wear either, went thru 3 pregnancys, gave it away and the last I heard it was given about the 6th time.. It looked similar to a tweed fabric. blue and white.

Rita/

I loved the story!! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see the finished quilt!! It's a knock out already!! Really special! I'm begininng to think I kinda like color.....my house is all whilte and oatmeal, hmmm maybe I shoud paint the walls, or not....I am seeing a pattern lately with my quilts they are getting bolder and bolder....Again thanks for sharing!! I think Heidi is a geniuous!! How can she just look at a quilt and see it quilted... so many have that talent on this forum I am learning so much , now just get to the time to start applying it!!!

Jeanne, love the story. I know how your husband felt, I was really uncomfortable when I first started quilting going into the fabric shops. The women all seem to starr. Men going into a fabric shop really attract a lot of attention from the ladies.

Liam

I guess that is how he felt too, although he had come to fabric shops with me it was different to ask a fellow sailor to go fabric shopping with him. We have a friend who's husband took up quilting with her and he started working at the LQS fixing machines and now does more sewing and quilting than she does. He definately buys more gadgets and also Long Arms, believe me he is the most popular worker at the quilt shop and all the women just love him! He is also a 30 year retired marine and doesn't worry at all about what people might think or say. there is no reason to feel strange at all about loving what you do. I for instance do alot of home repairs from electrical, plumbing, carpentry, mechanincal just whatever and being a woman at Home Depot or Lowes buying things they look at me like I dont know what I am doing. Just stereotyping, luckily the world it getting over this stigmatism and people are now able to do whatever suits them more than ever before. So I just say Dont Worry Be Happy!!

Gosh, that story and that quilt belong in a magazine! I am having a blonde moment so please tell me.....The fabric he purchased had many designs and you fussy cut to create your designs? Are most of those just 4 squares of fabric twisted and turned to create the look? Sorry, I growing up I was a dirty blonde and now I am sometimes a bottle blonde. I am just having a moment.:D I'll be better after the coffee kicks in!:cool:

the four patch swirl pattern is where you layer four fabrics and match the repeats and then cut 4 1/2 inch squares and then each set of four you twist to get the orientation that you prefer so you have to have a fabric with a large repeat. Mine was only 12 inches so I had less repeats, usually they use fabric with an 18 to 24 inch repeat. the teacher said she wasnt sure that my fabric choice would work but give it a try and we will see what happens. Needless to say, she really liked it. It fabric you see in the setting triangles is what it was cut from it was kind of a border type fabric but without any lines between the borders. hard to explain but the fabric just never spoke to me until I got the idea to use it for this project, then I too was amazed at how much I really liked it.

Archived