Quilts for Gifts

Shawn

I usually do wash them before I give them as gifts and will let them know it is okay to wash them and how to do it. I don't want any surprises for them once they are washed. I put in a dye catcher if I think any of the fabrics are apt to bleed and check before I dry it to make sure it didnt. Also if I had to use any markings on the quilt I want to be sure to soak it in clear, cool water, NO SOAP, and then wash as usual.

Hi Shawn,

This would be your choice, of course.

If you do wash a gift quilt with unwashed fabric in it, do a gentle machine wash and air dry it if you can. Unless of course you are going for that vintage crumply look! Then the dryer will snug up the batting and fabric for you.

And unless it is a wallhanging that will get special treatment and little washing, include the washing instructions on a separate label attached to a back corner--just like garments and bedding. If you include the washing instructions in a gift card, they will immediately lose it and have no clue how to launder the quilt! Ask me how I know this!!:D

For baby gifts, I always wash my baby quilts and in the wash water, I add softener to make it smell nice and fresh.

Sometimes I wash my other quilts (depends) but I don't wash every quilt I give away but I do tell the recipient that they can't fold this up in a dark closet and save it, and that I made this quilt to use and abuse and that it will get softer the more you wash it.

For my own quilts, I wash in the machine and then hang over the bannister to dry. I don't usually toss in the dryer.

I don't always pre wash my fabrics. I do depending on whatever it's for if I'm concerned about bleeding. When I prewash, I wash in whatever temperature I think it will get washed in in the future, and add white vinegar to the rinse cycle to set the dies. I've been doing this sinc e before any of the current products came out and it's alway worked for me. Then I might soak the batting in the same temp water, spin it out and both get dried at the temp I think. Will be used in the future. When I was hand quilting I always washed and dried when it was done, again, at the same temp I thought might be used in the future. ( Sometimes that might be hot). As much as I love my quilting I understand that the quilt is not going to treated as I would treat it even if I put a hundred labels on it. So I prepare the quilt for future abuse by preabusing it. Then it will never look any different than the day they received it until it fades away to nothing!

Archived