NQR It's a hummer summer

We love the hummingbirds and I think I'll have to declare them as dependents on our taxes. We have ruby throated hummingbirds in our area and they are a delight to watch. They move so fast and there are way too many to count! I have used 25 lbs. of sugar in 30 days to feed the little rascals and the migration is just getting started. We have 8 feeders in the back, each holding 32 oz. of syrup, and one feeder in the front. It is almost a full time job to keep them fed and happy. :cool:

2440891950105196958S500x500Q85.jpg

2328672390105196958S500x500Q85.jpg

That picture out your window is breathtaking, not to mention the flock of hummers.

I have one or two that enjoy my honeysuckle and various flowers around. I love the sounds they make, but having to listen to that many would be like a beehive.

Ya know, I quilt with my garage door open most of the time. I have the greatest view ever. Sometimes I have a hard time getting started to quilt. Other times I just sit there in my chair outside and just let my mind wonder. When I do get to quilting, I find myself resueing hummers quite a lot, because they like to fly into the garage. I must have resued at least 50 of those little buggers. I have to use a hat to distract them from getting too frightend. I would have to say that I have held a least 75% of the little guys. And yes they are very light. I really don't mind the break in the quilting to hold a humming bird. Regards, zeke.........

Awwwww that's a cute scenario Zeke. I saw a picture in the magazine Birds and Blooms where someone actually stood by the feeder for so long that the hummers started landing on them--and it didn't take long. It must be bliss to become one with nature.:D

I'm not a real bird watcher, but am a gardener and try not to spray. Have hummingbird nest in rosebush that I haven't trimmed in three years, saw little ones from window close by, always a thrill. I don't feed, but have lots of flowers that they really love, especially the red ones like the pineapple sage. They hide in the rose thickets when the larger birds are too close, but coexist with the little nuthatches. Wish we had as many varieties as in CA, here in Georgia have only seen the ruby.. Nice days ahead, Pat

It really is a thrill to have all of the hummingbirds that are here. We found the trick to having more than one hummer is to have multiple feeders. When there is one feeder the dominant hummer will sit at it and not allow others to feed. More feeders, more birds. DH picked up 50 lbs. of sugar at Sam's Club yesterday; I hope it gets us through the migration!

I have feeders on my patio. It's a very small space, but I've found that I can sit out there in my chair and if I'm very still when they first show up evry year, that they get used to me. Very quickly and I can sit out there, read my books, doodle, dri k my coffee or tea and they just hang out with me. The migration times are wonderful. I only have 2 feeders, but there are many people with feeders in the complex here so they make the rounds and have plenty.

Beautiful setting! Here in the high country of Colorado we have 4 feeders out. I bought 50 lbs. of sugar July 30th and I am almost out of it. I have been making 2 gal. & 1 qt every 2 days which is the biggest pot I have. They are eating us out of house and home. We were lucky that we didn't have any bears this year and have been able to leave them out. The temp was 34 this morning and when it is cool they come in droves, flocks, herds, whatever you might call it. It is so much fun to put your fingers on a perch and there are so many hummers, they will sit on your fingers. Then I start pulling the fingers away from the perchs and after awhile they figure it out and fly back. I agree they are so much fun.

Mountainquilter:D

Archived