Naming a quilt - Now with photo

You are all so helpful with all the great names that you have suggested! Patty Jo, so funny with the name for your friend's quilt :P We sometimes play a card game (and it's a clean game!) called "Up Yours". Funny to say that to some of our Baptist friends from church!

And Boni, you're making my head hurt with the Latin phrases and history lesson! Too much for a holiday weekend! :D

A name that keeps coming into my head is "Sonora Sunset". I've never been to the Sonoran desert so don't know why it came to mind. I love Google and so googled the name and found these websites with beautiful stones that have many of the colors of the quilt.

http://www.barlowsgems.net/servlet/the-Sonora-Sunset/Categories

http://www.azbluerockers.com/catalog/Sonoran_Sunset_Cabochons-23-2.html

The quilt show registration is due on Friday so I have a few more days before I have to decide, but alas, the quilt won't be quilted by then.

Originally posted by yankiequilter

A name that keeps coming into my head is "Sonora Sunset".

A Sonora Sunset would be a great name for this quilt...the Sonora Sunsets I have seen have rich gorgeous colors or purples, reds, oranges, pinks and you name it....some days are brighter than other, but each is unique.

omg...what a view you have! growing up we were right on kaneohe bay on oahu... tourists would stop and ask if they could take pix from our back yard... back then i didn't appreciate the beauty... what i would give for a gorgeous view like that again! i'm sure you enjoy your view... as for naming it... how about 'cabin with a view'... :)

patty jo: i had the same thought about the pix they gave me after my test... the colors were beautiful (whisper)... somehow i couldn't bring myself to share it with anyone... not even my husband! maybe someday i'll be sharing an 'up yours' quilt at my quilt guild--but not sharing the 'behind the scenes' story :P:P:P;)

Don't you ever just get a FEEL for what the name should be? I am thinking books also. That is just what I think when I look at it. "25 cents overdue." We have so much fun piecing, quilting and naming our quilts. Should be a law. Naw, with that kind of talk they will tax us for our fun. I hope we continue to have this sort of fun all the way to heaven! What? You don't thnk there will be quilting in heaven! Hush your mouth!:P:P:P

I like the name Sonora Sunset. I looked in Eleanor Burns' Log Cabin book to see what setting was used. It looks like a cross between a Barn Raising and a Peaks and Valleys.

The Sonoran desert is hot, dry, and full of scrub brush and rocks. Probably the only thing pretty there are the sunsets. We actually considered buying a house in Yuma, smack dab in the middle of the Sonoran desert. Great town. It's a dry heat.;)

It is a beautiful quilt, and your name of Sonora Sunset seems to fit. I, too, have a problem with naming quilts, but eventually a name presents itself...just like it did to you.

BTW, where in the Ozarks do you live? Judging by your alias, you are a Northern transplant. I live in Mammoth Spring (AR) on MO border and I, too, came from the North (NE).

Lora

Lora, we are on Bull Shoals lake, near Protem. Mapquest shows us about 98 miles apart. Do you go to Mountain Home at all? I'm a member of the guild there and it is quite active with both a day and evening meeting. If you are interested send me a U2U. Mapquest shows Mountain Home about 55 miles from you, which is about how far I have to drive, also. And yes, I'm a Yankee, from MN.

One thing to remember is that this is not the same as naming a child on an official birth certificate for perpetuity. If you decide the name doesn't fit, change it. Some of my quilts have exotic names but most quilt names are just descriptive ("Blue Irish Chain") and are only named so that I can keep them straight in my head.

I read many posts, but have never posted myself. This quilt has inspired me to contribute. The first thing I thought was "Mountains in the Moonlight" because the light areas look like large moons. Whatever name you choose, I know the quilt show viewers will be impressed with the beauty you have pieced into this.

Originally posted by yankiequilter

And yes, I'm a Yankee, from MN.

And that O.K. too!!!

Love the quilt - awesome colors! I thought of stained glass too when I first saw it. I usually have a name before I quilt it and I make a embrodiery label to attach to the backing before I quilt. That way it is quilted into the quilt, but too late to ever have a name change though......

I live in the Sonoran Desert north of Phoenix. To me your lovely quilt doesn't fit the Sonoran color combinations. Our natural landscape looks like a desert of rocks with Saguaro cactus forest as the primary foliage with lots of small cactus in the muted grey greens. The desert in bloom is very exciting as are the sunsets and sunrises.

You might try using the internet to help you find a name. Good luck.

Vicki

Archived