Naming a quilt - Now with photo

Our guild's quilt show is coming up next month and I intend to enter a quilt, if for no other reason than people come to see quilts so we want to have something for them to look at. I was looking at the registration form and there is a line for "Title of Quilt", which I translate to mean the name of the quilt. Do you name your quilts, and how do you come up with the name? I've only had to name 1 child and 3 dogs in my entire life so naming things isn't something I've had a lot of practice with. I have to put the borders on the quilt and then maybe I should post a picture and you can all help me come up with a name! :D

I added a narrow border and thought I was done, but then read the categories for the quilt show and find it doesn't fit into any of them. Currently the quilt is 74 inches square and it has to be 80 inches to fit into one of the bed quilt categories. Oh well, another border to do. Here's a picture of the quilt. I don't have a place to hang it in the house so have to do it on the deck and the wind is blowing a bit today.

2044289320105196958S500x500Q85.jpg

A closer picture - all fabrics are batik.

2433018790105196958S500x500Q85.jpg

What an amazing view from your deck, quilt included! I see many things in this quilt that could help you name it. When you were creating it, did you think of anything or anyone special? Is this a worry quilt? The center and middle row of the quilt look like that could point a direction. I know how about, All points North?

The first things that I saw were the diamond shapes. So my title for that quilt might be "Diamonds Forever" Or "Diamond Jewels" as it has all the jewel tones in it. Just another couple of ideas.

I have to tell you a story - at a quilt meeting in my guild, we were speaking of the big "C" test everyone over 50 is suppose to have and one gal had just gone to the hospital to have it done. She was telling us of the pictures that were give to her and how clean everything was and kind of pretty in a different sort of way. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I just have to tell this. So another gal said that is she really liked the picture, she should make a quilt out of it. Then my crazy brain took over and named the quilt for her - it was "Up Yours" :P:P:P:P

I'm sorry but its a wonder I can type and I don't know where this comes from, but I'm still laughing about that one. :P

:P:D:cool::P:D:o:P:D Patty Jo I almost peed my pants! "Up Yours" ! How perfect would that be!

Carmen, the quilt is luscuious, I too see something with stained glass, but the Ex Libris is pretty cool too. I name my quilts and I've named some for other teachers at my LQS, sometimes it just pops outta my mouth, like Patty Jo's one above!

Look for the clues as to what you were thinking or in the middle of while you pieced it and you may come up with a great name!

The outdoor natural light really brought out the colors in your quilt. It reminds me of some of the quilts illustrated in The Quiltermaker's Gift book. The fabrics look hand-painted. I would hold off naming it until you've quilted it, because you could go different directions with the style. I don't have specific suggestions for the quilting, other than the fabrics seem to call for an artful hand-crafted type of style to me.

It reminds me of the Native American beading designs that were done in quivers, belts, mocs, earrings, and even on clothing. The colors look likt those tiny glass beads. It also resembles those bone breatplates we all saw them wear in the old movies, I think it's the white logs that bring that to mind. How about "Totum Jewels"?

(Patty Jo--:P)

That Log Cabin is beautiful. I also see stained glass--the darks look so rich and varied. But--if you turn it, it looks even more Southwest. I would name it after it is quilted and not let the setting dictate the quilting design, on this one. I wouldn't discard feathers or flowers as design options just because it looks more geometric or regional.

Now I'm getting into this too deep, I know. If you want a Native American name, what about "Wampum"

Here's your history lesson for today.

Perhaps because of its origin as a memory aid, loose beads were not considered to be high in value. Rather it is the belts themselves that are wampum. Belts of wampum were not produced until after European contact. A typical large belt of six feet in length might contain 6000 beads or more. More importantly, such a belt would be a great sanctity, because it contained so many memories. Wampum belts were used as a memory aid in Oral tradition, where the wampum was a token representing a memory. Belts were also sometimes used as badges of office or as ceremonial devices of an indigenous culture such as the Iroquois.

post--13461902516067_thumb.jpg

Archived