Bobbin Winders

zeke

There are a lot of us out here that have been longarming for some time. I've had six machines in all and five bobbin winders. My fifth machine didn't come with a bobbin winder because there was one on the quilting machine. I still have my first one and it has been since revamped due to replacing the motor and replacing the rheostat with an on/off stitch. I do also have the Turbo Bobbin Winder which sits idle for now. I think that I have used it maybe 3 times since I bought it. It just doesn't put enough thread on the bobbin to make me want to use it on a regular basis. And besides, I don't have any aluminum bobbins anymore. All my bobbins are the metal ones and I like it that way. Right now I'm using my old bobbin winder, because I can get about 30 minutes out of it. That's right, I said about 30 minutes. It also depends on the type of thread that you are using.

About a year ago I bought one of those side winders for my wife and she just started to laugh at it. She used it once and stuffed it back in the box it came in. And there it sits. I can't blame her either, it's just a cheap peice of plastic. Anyways, I've made about 10 stand-a-lone bobbin winders for other quilters. Most for longarmers and two for dealers.

I'd like to hear your comments on the bobbin winders that you have. Maybe someone will come up with one that can top the old bobbin winder. Regards, zeke..........

Hi Zeke- I have the Turbo Winder that came with my Millenium and can honestly share that I have used it twice. It was ok but soooo loud!! I had a Sidewinder that I had great difficulty getting to wind a decent bobbin so I passed that along to a guild member friend that wanted it. I now wind my bobbins for my longarm on my DSM and am quite happy with the results it gives.

Sally

The only bobbin winder that I have had is the Turbo Winder that came with my Millie. I, too, thought it didn't wind enough thread onto the bobbin, but there are instructions for adjusting it so that you can wind on more (or less) thread. I use it for winding bobbins for my Pfaff DSMs, also. I have some Viking bobbins that I can use on one of my Pfaffs, however they don't have a slot that goes over the spring on the winder so I can't use the winder for them. I don't have any of the metal bobbins for my Millie so don't now if not having the slot on them is the problem with using the Turbo for them. If you can get the metal bobbins onto the Turbo, check your manual for the instructions for adjusting it.

I have only had the turbo winder that came with George. That is what I use all the time for the George bobbins. I haven't tried the metal instead of aluminum ones yet. My turbo winds the bobbins full right to the edge of the metal, if it put any more on it, the thread would make a nest outside of the bobbin. Yes, the turbo is rather loud, but it sure doesn't take long to fill the bobbins, then you are done for a major length of time.

I don't see a need for a different one for me.

I have a turbo winder, no complaints. I did however dropped it on the floor once and knocked something out of whack, thought I was going to have to pay to replace it. But my DH took the black caps off the side, figured out what was out of whack, then put it all back together and it is running again. These things are built pretty well in my opinion. I can wind metal bobbins as well as the aluminum ones without any problems. :cool:

Zeke,

I have the turbo winder and use only metal bobbins and I wind almost all of my own bobbins. I found that a small piece of tape on one side of the spindle added just enough so that the bobbins wind much better. Also you can adjust the amount of thread that goes on by adjusting the turbo winder. I have mine right to the place so that it doesn't overfill but gives me every yard that I need! Give it a try and I'm sure you can get it to wind what you want.

I too have the turbo winder. Even though I only use the aluminum bobbins...I really like it. I have adjusted mine to allow more thread to wind.

I don't think it is very loud at all. Is this because of having 7 kids? or ??

I love that you guage your bobbins by time rather than yards of thread. Pretty cool! That is how I like to think.

I think my turbo winder is great. I have a piece of batting in the arm at the top to stop the thread whipping everywhere and I expect that a thread net would do a similar job. I hadn't appreciated that I could adjust it to hold even more thread so that's useful info - what do I tweak to achieve that?

John, what sort of washer? the Genie ones?

IMO: I think that the Wrights sidewinder is pathetic:P

Are you saying that you make bobbin winders, Zeke?

When I got my winder I was having a problem with it winding evenly and Amy sent me instructions for adding a washer to the tension disk from the back. It was a piece of cake to do and it now winds perfectly.

Linzi - on the trigger thing there is a little small roundish piece (lol no idea what to call that) but that is what you have to adjust to make it accept more or less thread. there is a tiny screw that you can loosen move and then retighten. You don't have to move it much at all, like the width of a business card or two at a time. You want to make sure that the thread isn't filling too far or it will pool off in the bobbin case and cause you problems. I just kept playing until I got just enough but not too much.

Hi Zeke,

I have used the K-Kraft bobbin winder almost from the day they started making them back in 2003 (I believe).

http://fancyquilt.com/store/viewitem.php?groupid=0&%20productid=0

I recently let it go with the sale of my APQS Ultimate II. But, I'm going to buy a new K-Kraft when I get another long arm.

There is a video on the link above.

The K-Kraft is fast, precise and I really like the foot print of this winder. Space saving. Everything is on one solid piece of thick white laminate wood. Very compact and just an on/off switch to operate it. I can't stand winders that require a sewing machine foot pedal, dangling wires, etc. Huge motors, etc. and are loud and whiny. This one is not.

The prices is currantly $99 plus shipping. It will wind a variety of machine bobbins L & M's.

I have no affiliation with the company, I just happened on this winder back when, and think for the price it can't be beat. Sort of a little hidden treasure of a winder!

:)

I'm with Angie above. The K-Kraft winder is fabulous, well made, sturdy and reliable. The winder on my 2004 Millenium was lousy so I used my featherweight to wind the bobbins. The bobbins fit on it and that was okay.

Then I got my K-Kraft. Love it and I only use it for my longarm bobbins. It's set perfectly for winding those bobbins and handy. I have no affiliation with them either. Just love the product!

I have the turbo winder, find it works perfectly with the aluminum bobbins I use. I was a little taken aback by the noise at first, and of course how fast it was. I adjusted it to fill just right easily, and found out by accident:D how not to be so intimidated by it. I put it up on a tall counter, where I could really see it and adjust the thread at eye level, and I'm confident every time I wind. I use the thread nets and the batting trick when I work with "funny" threads. I really like how evenly it winds all threads. fun with quilting, Pat

Archived