air compressors

I am having a great time learning what to do and NOT to do with my Millie. I am excited about taking Dawn's classes next week.

I have quickly realized using canned air to clean with will be costly. My husband has offered to buy me a small air compressor for my birthday. What brand and what kind do you recommend? We would prefer plug in with long cord and light weight. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Suzie W.

I had a compressor that I bought at Walmart and it made so much noise I hated it, and it scared the dog. I returned it and got one for air brushing at Michaels. It was expensive but I used a 40% off coupon so that brought the price down to about $120. It isn't as powerful as a regular compressor but it does have enough power to get the job done. And it is so much quieter!

I have a portable Air Compressor that is used for nail guns that I use. I have an adjustable air nozzle that I can adjust the pressure. I considered buying a small compressor, but figured why waste the money when the one I have does the trick.

I got my compressor at Lowe's. It is noisy but it is made to be portable. It has a handle that folds down plus a bin to store the hose and cord. Sorry I don't remember the name of it and I am upstairs and it is down. I can tell you it is grey (I know a big help) and it wasn't that expensive. I love not having to rely on canned air.

Pamela

I have a 2HP pancake compressor. DH built a little rolling cart for it and attacked a long coiled hose. I rarely have to move it except to vacuum under once in awhile. I keep it plugged in all the time but turn the switch off cuz it just about sends me through the roof when in kicks on unexectedly.

My hubby has a large compressor in the garage with a portable tank. I used it once and the lint went flying everywhere! What a mess, so I've stuck to the cans but it's so expensive, I'd like to try something else. To those of you who use them do you ever get condensation from the tank and would that be a problem with on our machines???

I actually use a mini shop vac. Got it at walmart for about $20. I use a little brush and vac out the bobbin area. It's also great for sucking up all the strings etc. on the floor. Not sure if anyone else uses a mini shop vac or not (or if I even should be) but so far, I can't a reason not to. Any thoughts??

I used one previously when I did upholstery work. It's set to 85 lbs of pressure. And yes, if you staple your thumb accidentally; it does feel like you've pounded it with a 85 lb sledge hammer!:o:o:o

Works great to clean out my Millie and I still get to inflate the pool toys and do a little re-upholstery. It has a 2 gallon tank and sits under my Millie table. My old one got a hole in the tank from the condensation collecting. It was fixed once, and got another hole. My DH got this one at an auction for $35.00!!:P:P

still new at this so "bear" with me ... sigh ...

I ask mr. dancing bear about having a small air compressor to use on the new M-Toy and he discouraged me ... evidently the air compressors may have condensation in them ... which would not be good ... blowing microscopic bits of h20 all over your beautiful machine. The canned air is much preferred because it does not contain this h20 particles. just a thought ... i'll stick with canned air i guess.

Hey - on the air compressor you remove any condensation when you empty the tank every night so it doesn't build up. Canned air will have condensation if you shake it - so don't shake it.

I used canned air for the first 4 years. I am in love with my air compressor that I have been using for the last 6-8 months. Got it at Sears, on sale, and it looks like a little pig. When I clean with WD40, wipe it out, then use the air compressor as the beauty runs at low speed it really gets out every little piece of lint in the hook area. Don't know how I worked without it. And I use it to blow the dust off my machine and my table.

Rethink that canned air, compressors are wonderful. My second wonderful toy is my baby ShopVac. I burned out 2 vacuum cleaners with threads getting wrapped around the brush thing - now my ShopVac takes care of everything. I even chase flying bugs with it (now that's really funny to watch) Gotta love those hardware departments. And keep me out of Home Depot or Lowe's. It's a longarmers paradise....

We got a very small Campbell Hausfeld compressor at Harbor Freight (a tool place). Harbor Freight has lots of Chinese tools, so I would opt for the name brand above. Even though they are made in China, probably, at least they are made to certain specifications. Anyway, it is very small, doesn't take up much room, is portable, and does the job. Yes, it is noisy, but I don't use it on a daily basis, so it isn't a big deal. The compressor was about $80, and then we got a little nozzle thing with a trigger...well under $100 for the whole thing. Lowe's also sells a small compressor of the same brand, but it was a larger model. I just didn't need a bigger one, because my husand has a couple he uses for his nailers, etc. Mine tucks in a corner under the machine and is out of the way. I believe Amazon sells a number of small compressors if none are available locally.

Originally posted by dancing bear

still new at this so "bear" with me ... sigh ...

I ask mr. dancing bear about having a small air compressor to use on the new M-Toy and he discouraged me ... evidently the air compressors may have condensation in them ... which would not be good ... blowing microscopic bits of h20 all over your beautiful machine. The canned air is much preferred because it does not contain this h20 particles. just a thought ... i'll stick with canned air i guess.

Dancing Bear, this has been mentioned before when we have talked about air compressors. I guess it is up to the individual. I have had mine for 5 years and have not had a problem with that. I think if there had been a problem with the condensation blowing out on my machine, Amy would have mentioned something to me when she did my overhaul this spring. I have the canned air at work, after holding the can while spraying it get very cold and feels like there is moisture somewhere...If that is the case, you may get condensation there too.

Archived