I Love Skype

I know! I was afraid to try it, but went in and read more about it and it was no cost. HA! How often do you get free? Thankfully, my camera didn't come on. I had a migraine all night and look like I was hit by a truck :) But of course, Claudia looks beautiful and is getting ready to celebrate the new year.

I'm sooooo jealous! I live in NW Indiana and can't even get high speed internet!!!!

Small locally owned phone co. have the market around here.

Many times I want to check out the quilting Youtube videos- did that one time-

I'm not kidding it took 6 hours to download!!!!!

Maybe someday the tech. world will make it to my neck of the woods!!!

Enjoy what you have, just know everyone is not able to share.

I've never used Skype, don't think I have a use for it at the moment and am going to mention it to a friend who has a daughter living in London right now.

Mary, we live in the boonies and thought we would never see high speed internet. We constantly asked our phone company for DSL. In the meantime we first used satellite internet from Wild Blue. Better than dial up but not great. Then we got an air card from Alltel, now Verizon, and that was much better than the satellite internet service. You might check with the cell phone providers in your area to see what is available. When DSL came to our area we switched to it because for us it is faster, more reliable and less cost than the Verizon 3G internet service.

Mary Beth, rush hour in Protem is still two cars moving in opposite directions at the one lane bridges but we've gone high tech with DSL! :P

Mary, I too live in "small town" Indiana. High speed finally came to our neck of the woods about 6 months ago. I absolutely love it. I started hounding my phone co about a year ago. I called them every week to complain and let them know how many of my neighbors would sign up. They initially said it would be at least 5 more years before we could get it here but that turned into 6 months. I am not sure if they just got tired of me or if they finally realized how many people would sign on but I got a caal one day saying "it's available". I danced like Dancing Bear for at least a month :P

Cheri Blevins (Scottsburg IN)

My daughter and I are able to keep in touch - she's in London - I'm in California. But....I finally got the web cam hooked up and have lost a bit of weight. First thing out of her mouth,"Gee Mom, I can tell you've lost weight but I have to tell ya - you look older!" Out of the mouths of.......

Hi Linda. Go to Skype.com and there is a free download to get the software. All you need is a computer and you can chat and see anyone. The computer needs a camera and a microphone which you can always add on you don't have one. We are currently expats living in Shanghai and we keep in touch with all of our friends and relatives using Skype. It is great that it is free! You can even have your computer ring a landline! I have a friend that I sew with while Skype is on and we have a little sewing session on saturday mornings! I love technology!

WOW - how cool is that - having the sewing session together!

Mary Beth, Claudia got me hooked up on Skype too - glad she did. Its a great way to keep in touch with friends.

We got our granddaughter a netbook for Christmas and Skype was already set up on it, so when we take our trip to Des Moines in february we'll be able to keep in touch with her, and maybe see how the kids are keeping the house while we are away - unless they turn the video off!.

OK off to chat - my Skype friend has just come on line.

Happy New Year to everyone.

sue in australia

Let's see... Rep Rally, February 2009. I packed sweaters, turtlenecks, winter coat, boots, gloves, hat. You see I am from MN originally, so I know all about cold. We had snow tires on the car so we were all set, we thought!

Our first inkling of what was to come was when we got to Billings, MT and it was 60 degrees. Well, then we got to Willmar, MN and it was mearly 40 degrees and it was windy so seemed colder, so we were thinking, this is more like what we expected. Then we went down to Des Moines. Well, after the first day there, dh and I hit the mall, so I could buy some clothes that I wasn't sweating in! ;-) Let's see temps of 60 degrees, 62 degrees. Sure it's cold in February in Iowa, sure it is!!!

I absolutely love Skype. My one daughter is in Korea for two years and I probably talk to her more now than I did when she was in the same state. My husband bought web cams for us, her, and my other daughter at Best Buy for about $30 each. We talk at least once a week if not more often. Katie (my daughter in Korea) also uses it to place phone calls to people. There is a charge for that, but she said it costs her about 2 cents a minute to call the US from Korea using Skype. Much better than any other type of phone call.

Originally posted by quiltingmidwife

.........now where do you get battery operated socks? Sounds like something I could do with.

Too funny :P

I have a pair :P I used them when I was deer hunting when we lived in MN. I was about to buy a battery operated body suit but we finally escaped MN for TX. After we retired and DH asked if I wanted to move back to MN I told him I would move just about anywhere with him as long as it was south of the Mason Dixon line! :P:P:P If you really want a pair you can probably still find them at Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Gander Mountain.

Hi Mary Beth

I'm really looking forward to snow, if Des Moines will put it on. So long as it doesn't snow when i want to get into or fly out of the airport.

Darlene and I have slid across the ice from the restaurant to our motel room many times teeth chattering and with the wind feeling like its going to slice the top of our heads off but change is as good as a rest and in Australia, the temperature will be in the high 30s (Centrigrade) in February.

Where is the mall? How could I have missed that, I'm sure I'll need to check it out.

Looking forward to seeing everyone

sue in australia

Archived