one million stitches

how many stitches does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie roll pop?

i was thinking the other day: how many bobbins would it take to make a million stitches? according to Bottom Line, there is 119 yds of thread on a 'L' class bobbin. let's take off two yards for tails and such and that leaves 117yds. 117yds times 36 to get 4,212 inches of thread. i set my stitch regulator to 12 stitches per inch, so that is 50,544 stitches per bobbin (have you just skipped to the bottom yet?) so one million divided by 50,544 equals (drum roll please)

[align=center]approximately 20 'L' class bobbins will give you one million stitches [/align]

(in case you are ever on a game show and they ask...)

(i average about 20 bobbins every two weeks....wow, that's 2 million plus stitches a month...times 6 years of LAing is 144 million stitches....so what started this train of thought? my bobbin winder is on it's last legs and i was thinking about how mant bobbins it has wound in it ever so useful life....plus i changed out the hook assembly)

*wish i had a nickel for every stitch i've quilted...*

(if you're curious that's like $750,000...right? ok, now my brain hurts)

I think that maybe Shannon has been in our asylum a little too long! Maybe we should let her out for a day of shopping? Thread maybe?

Shannon - I love how your mind works!

PS, I think you meant that Bottom Line as 118 yards of thread on a L bobbin. I just went to the Superior site, and below is their info. Now you have even more math to do. Maybe you'll need an aspirin?

L style Bobbin:

Bottom Line: 118 yds.

Masterpiece: 80 yds.

Brand X cotton: 39 yds.

So Fine: 66 yds.

okay guys...i never said it was for scientific purposes....i did round up or down for whole numbers too....

caroline i'll have to do the math for the other threads...

bottom line= (with the new figure) is still 20 bobbins

masterpiece = 29 bobbins

brand X cotton = just under 60 bobbins

so fine = right at 35 bobbins

15 size L bobbins to the mile. Guesstimation of similar for the top thread.

So 2 miles of thread for every 15 bobbins.

I've already put 6 miles of thread on "The Worlds Biggest Hexagon Quilt", and now you are also say ing I have put 2 million stitches. The girls are going to love those figures on Monday.

Now if we say the average is 12 stitches to the inch, six sides to a hexagon, that makes 3.25 million hand stitches.

It is only 32 metres long. YIKES heaps to go.

Lyn

Archived