Econozoid or Quiltazoid

Heirloom Quilter

Hey, everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted anything on the forum, but I have been trying to keep up with all you. I'm just now getting my Liberty set up after moving last May. I still have to install the new leaders. However, my DH asked if I would like to purchase a Circle Lord now. I saw some postings about the Quiltazoid this weekend and sent Linda and Adam an email for more information. Now I'm leaning towards the Quiltazoid over the Circle Lord, but don't know if I should get the actual Quiltazoid or the Econozoid. Does any one out there have any suggestions or preferences between the two? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Debbie,

Good to see you posting again. I would think about the type of quilting you do. If your goal is to just stitch templates and do circles and cross hatching then I'd go with the Econozoid. The Spirograph has hundred's of design possibilities and the nice part is that you can pick a design and stitch it start to finish once it is set up. I honestly did not think I would use it as much as I have. Now I'm addicted and always coming up with new ideas for using it. I love the nested design options of it and wouldn't be without the options it provides. You can always add it on later if you wanted to.

Debbie, I have the Quiltazoid. The Econozoid wasn't available when I purchased my QZ, but I would have gone with the QZ anyway for a couple of reasons. One was because it reminded me of the spirograph I had when I was a kid and I was already looking for something to make designs like that. The 2nd reason is because you can make several different designs and sizes of designs with the Quiltazoid. I'm using spirographs on a customer's quilt right now and it makes the quilt just look so professional...looks as good as a computerized design without the greater cost. You can't go wrong with either one though. I use both parts (spirogaphs and templates/circles) about 50/50 if that helps any. Oh, and I'm all up front, but learned quickly not to "belly up to the bar" while using it. :D

I just now ordered the Econozoid and figure I can add the Spirograph thingy later. Now that they have it so we can upgrade using our existing Econozoid, I decided to go this way. I also ordered the up front setup. I don't like working from the back.........I'm short and can't see what I am doing easily. I'll have to remember NOT to "belly up to the bar" as Cindy advised. :D

Hi Debbie. I too have the Quiltazoid and like the options it gives me as far as the capabilities of doing spirographs. I like to add them to some things...but do not overuse them by any means. I do lots more circles on my quilts than spiros. I have the tracing templates too and they work on the Econozoid or Quiltazoid. Both systems allow you to do all features EXCEPT for the Quiltazoid which has the spiro attachment. The Econozoid does not.

So...it really just depends on the type of quilting you like to do. And remember, if you buy the Econozoid, you can always add the spiro attachment at a later date.

Hi Debbie

Heidi and Cindy have said it better than I can. But i just have to say I love the spriro part of the QZ. It is so much fun. I was playing yesterday and missed a step on one of the spiros,(forgot to put in the reducer ring) but what stitched was was great.

I am starting to keep a note book with the settings of the spiro's, I like the best.

I will be ordering mine next week at MQS. I've decided to go with the Quiltazoid as I know I will want to do more than just the boards. I have a friend in FL who won't be attending, but I will be ordering her's then as well. We both rec'd the dvd's and are just drooling over it! LOL I do love the fact that you can upgrade and it doesn't cost you more, except for shipping probably. We've both been saving for this new toy, so we are going to go for the gusto. :D

i think the EZ is $350 and the QZ is $700.

to buy the Spiro thing after is $350.

it's a great deal - since you can get the whole thing as you can afford it without having to pay any more $.

OK... I guess this is a good place to bring this up.... I sent for a dvd about the Quiltazoid today! I just don't know if I really really want one... my hangup is that I feel like I wouldn't really be doing the quilting... I REALLY like what it does, but I feel like I would be "cheating" or something!! Does that make ANY sense to anyone else? Or am I the only weirdo? I don't particuarly care for computerized quilting (NO offense to anyone!) just my preference , so is this too close to that? I would appreciate input on it from all angles!! thanks! linda

Well, there is still skill involved in using the QZ. You choose the pattern, align it in the block, nest designs together, embellish the designs with freehand feathers, etc. It is a wonderful tool that enhances the quilting and offers alternatives. I don't view it any differently than I would using templates, and it is much easier to operate. Lets face it, there are some things you just can't do freehand, such as circles. ( Remember, some people think machine quilting is "cheating." )

I see this as different from computerized quilting. Just as I see using a pattern board board different fro computerized quilting. You are still doing the quilting...just have some guides with which to follow to assist you in making your designs cleaner and more precise looking. Just like rulers.

I see using the QZ the same as using the Hartley Fence or CircleLord. IF those tools are ones that you see as 'cheating' too...then maybe the QZ or any special tool/ruler isn't for you.

I do not do quilts for show...and if I did...would probably not be using the QZ on it..unless I entered the quilt in a Tools Of the Trade category. I believe this is where alot of Myrna's and Marilyn's quilts get entered...and no way am I going to enter against them! I have along ways to go to be that good! (Sorry Shannon...you can beat me later for that comment. I know I should be positive...but honesty won this time!)

We all have to decide what is right/wrong for ourselves only.

a very wise quilter told me there are no quilt police - anad with no police - there can't be any cheating. ;)

everyone uses something (rulers or stencils or longboards or pantos or computers or whatever) to help them achieve the look they are going for. qz is just another of those things. you still have to think it up in your head, measure, center, embellish, RIP & curse, and all that jazz. i don't know how you would enter it in a show - but it ISNT cheating.

Thanks Kristina and Meg!!! I am really thinking about all the input! THANK YOU for taking the time to write your feelings! I am anxious to get the dvd and see more. I messed with the Q

z at camp mowana last fall.... Heidi brought hers. I would like to mess with one more but nowhere to go around here...:o Maybe I'll take a trip up to see you , Heidi!! :) Don't get me wrong , girls!! I am not saying it's cheating... I just feel like that..... I AM NOT SAYING ANYONE WHO HAS ONE IS CHEATING....!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really is just me and my wierdo thoughts!! I'll probably end up getting one!! :)

Linda you are welcome any time you want! I know what you are saying but here is the way I look at it. If you use rulers then that is no different than using the Quiltazoid. I do use this tool for show and I don't feel like I'm cheating at all. I work hard to keep things lined up and straight and it still takes some skill but with the right tools you can accomplish anything thing. I mostly use the QZ to embellish and add details. I have no desire to have a coputerized system as I feel like it would take some of the challenges out of quilting for me. I have no problems using tools that allow me to be a better quilter. I tend to be a perfectionist and I want things to be spot on (note I said I want...doesn't always happen) but my tools help me along. I consider the QZ a tool just like I consider stencils and rulers tools. Only you can decide what is right for you. You do incredible work and I know you would do wonderful things with the QZ too.

I hope I didn't start anything here with my questions about the QZ. I am a very inexperienced LA quilter and I have some beautiful quilt tops I want to quilt for myself and my family. I have tried to use a pantograph and a laser to follow the pattern and can't even stay on the line, and my freehand work is even worse. I did some feathers on a practice piece that were very squared off on the tips, but I am trying to improve in that area. I feel that if there is a tool that can help me to make better quilts I NEED it. I'm very insecure about my quilting, because I'm not very artistic and do better with a pattern to follow. Therefore, I believe the QZ or the Circle Lord or any other apparatus that can help improve my quilting is what I need. I can't afford a computerized LA, but I use an embroidery module to make some of my squares for my quilt tops. That might be cheating, but I never liked hand embroidery even as a child. I promised myself I would never quilt another queen sized top on my DSM after I made Mama's quilt for her in 2002. It killed my back trying to hold up all that fabric. Since then I have learned to hand quilt, and purchased my Liberty to help me quilt larger than baby quilts.

Thanks for all of your input. I'm leaning toward the QZ if I can still afford to purchase all of the continuos templates I want.

Oh Debbie!! NO!! You didn't start anything...at least nothing negitive!! I am thankful for the input I am getting here! This has just been something on my mind for awhile, cause I AM considering getting a QZ and I just needed to talk about it with all of you that understand a quilting mind!!:) I figured this was a good place to ask about what I've just been thinking! :) Kristina, I really think the celtic designs are sooo cool!! Is that in the spiro part or the EZ? I think if I get one, I'll just do the whole thing!! Ok...Now you guys have me excited about one!!! :P:P linda

Yes Linda...in order to do the celtic spio designs...you need to use the Qz with spiro attachment. It really is fun. I try to only use those design elements that truly fit the quilt...and there are many to choose from with the QZ. I love it.

I didn't think anything negative was meant by thinking that it was 'cheating' to use tools. We each must decide what is right for her/him. I love having a great 'spot on' circle maker. I would hate to see my circles without it! Even when I draft something...I use rulers and tools to make my work look better!

Get the QZ...you will not be sorry that you did. :)

Debbie, I feel the same way you do about my quilting. If I want to make a straight line, it is wavy. If I want curves they are straight. The only thing I could sort of do well was meander, and that was getting old. My QZ helps me to at least look like I know what I am doing! I am even starting to get braver with free hand since I have something to work around.

Archived