Hollyhock quilt with Invisifil and bamboo

I have finally finished the quilt I was making to use as a summer quilt for our bed. I used a gold shade of Invisifil thread for the entire top and quilted it with George using a 50/50 bamboo/cotton batting.

For the center panel quilting I also used Invisifil in the bobbin (same gold shade). The thread worked great in both top and bobbin. In fact with all the quilting in the center panel, I never even used the entire bobbin, there is still some there. For the borders I continued with Invisifil on top and used a purple So Fine in the bobbins, I used at least three to four bobbins on the borders and they are not a close, tight design. I was surprised at how many times I needed to fill the So Fine bobbins and probably could have only used 2 Invisifil bobbins for the whole quilt. I stitched just a bit slower than I usually do but the thread was great.

The batting was bamboo from Joann's, it seems to be a touch thinner than cotton only (but I don't use cotton much). It layered nicely, (pins) and had some nice keep the fabric in place grip, no tucks in the quilting even after it had been folded awhile. When I washed the quilt to remove markings (washable markers) I measured before and after. Before it was about 80 x 84, after drying it was 75 x 80. I had a scrap of batting only that I also tossed in with the quilt, that never changed sizes. So my guess is the shrinkage was some quilting drawing up and any fabric shrinking although I usually don't have a problem with it. I am still trying to decide if the feel of the quilt during use is the weight and flexibility that I like in my personal quilts. (Usually I use Thinsulate from 3M and have loved the lightness of it and the warmth, for summer I was trying to find one less warm)

I did press the washed scrap of batting between fabric and didn't notice any smashed/melting of the batting so it could be good for placemats, table runners, etc.

I definitely will be using Invisifil again, and again!

post--13461904093855_thumb.jpg

Thanks, the heart quilting was a stencil that I have, it works great as a continuous.

Shana, sorry (NOT) that you had to spend good money for some more toy supplies!! The spool that I used was one of the reg. small ones, not even a cone so the thread goes a long way. Have fun this weekend.

I have one more quilt layered ready to work on soon. I have King Tut for the top of that one, but I wonder what Invisifil would do for it as the bobbin thread. I sure like how long it lasts in the bobbin.

Madelyn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your research on Invisifil thread and the bamboo/cotton batt. I was wondering if the bamboo batt took longer to dry than other batts? I recently purchased some hand dyed bamboo socks from Wendy Richardson -- I love the comfort but they do take longer to dry.

Madelyn - I love this quilt too!! Purple is my favorite color!! :cool:

How are those flowers made? they look 3D......

Oh and those little hearts look SO cute - perfect! I want to try those, I have added this into my "Favorites" folder.

Do you prewash your fabrics before you piece? Just wondering about that shrinkage amount..... Thanks for sharing all the info. with us and the great photos too!

Judi,

Thanks, the flowers are just printed in the panel. I stitched up the stalks of flowers and some all around them or the leaves, so they have a varying puffed look.

The hearts in the border are a stencil that I have had a while. They do work up easily.

No I didn't prewash the fabrics. I don't usually and haven't needed to with the Thinsulate batting that I usually use. I had intended to try cotton for this because the gal was saying the "breatheabiltiy of the natural fibers" but since my daughter said her cotton quilt was heavier than the thinsulate one, so I thought I would try the bamboo.

Archived