Finished at last!!!

This was a quilt that a ga'ls mother started at the age of 90 using the old lap quilting method! She had handquilted each beautiful designs and hand sewn the blocks into three strips with only the top seams sewn. Her daughter asked me to finish the quilt. The blocks were joined and the back completed by hand. I added the borders and marked the design with a blue pen and echo quilted around the hand quilting and quilted the borders. Put on the binding. She picked it up just before mother's day. The center motif in the border is Memories of Mother. She was very pleases with the quilt and so was her hubby. I thought you would enjoy seeing it. BTW she told me I could enter it in QUILT FEST in Jacksonville in Sept.

post--13461904135162_thumb.jpg

Thank you ladies!

Linda, I did not do the quilting for the design in the blocks. They were done by hand. Only joined the blocks and did the echo quilting and all the quilting on the borders. All 12 designs are beautiful. I had not seen all of the designs before. It was the only quilt her mother ever started and she wanted me to finish it so she could use it and remember her mother. I was honored to do it for her.

Ooooh so super duper pretty! It will look marvelous in that quilt show. Before the QUILT FEST in Jacksonville show, make sure to block it so it hangs nice and flat for that show. Blocking it will take out the little ripply things (caused by the quilting process) that you see now. Anyway, it's absolutely gorgeous!! :)

Originally posted by delld

Again, thank you all. Shana What medthod do you suggest to block the quilt? Stream. mist with water or completely wet the quilt?

Before blocking, take a measurement of the dry quilt side to side, top to bottom and write that down. I would completely wet it in the wash machine or a tub. If in the wash machine, you don't need to agitate it in a washing machine but putting it in the wash machine and let it soak (you can add a small amt of mild soap if you want just to get it spanking white clean) and let it soak for an hour then rinse and gentle spin out. Then lay a sheet on the carpet (or use insulation foam) lay sheet on bottom, and then mark where your measurements were with blue painter tape or something like that so you can pin and stretch back to the original size. Starting from the middle, pin right where the binding seam is to hide pin holes-- you can use the silk pins cuz the heavy T pins will make big holes if you already have the binding on. Put pins every inch, and then go back and add more pins every half inch. Anyway, start in the middle and work your way to the corners, top, bottom and sides. Stretch back to the original size. Use a Tsquare or large square ruler and long rulers to help keep your edges straight. Or use the lazer light squares (sell at hardware store) or do the old fashioned "plum line" like I do. :) Anyway, after you get the quilt pushed flattened, and smooshed and tugged and pulled back into shape, put another sheet on top to keep any dirt from getting on it (or if pets decide to walk on it during drying phase) and you can set a couple of fans (oscillating) and that will make the drying process quicker. Let it stay pinned down until completely bone dry---might be a couple of days! and when you remove it, it will be nice and flat. :) If you have little pin holes remaining, you can rub those lightly and make them go away.

Archived