Need suggestions

This quilt has been in the works for almost a year now. The dresden plates are pieced by hand and appliqued on to the block. After I got all the SID done (and there was ALOT), I started doing the motifs. Well, they look too big to me. They are bigger than the plates, and I'm not sure if that is a problem. I have 2 rows done and I really don't want to frog them. What can I do in the empty space around the motifs and plates?

My thoughts are:

1. stipple the background and call it good enough

2. echo the plates and/or the motifs

3. a different background fill (suggestions please)

4. frog it and try something different.

Thanks for any and all help, Peggy

post--13461904149949_thumb.jpg

Hi Peggy!! I don't think they look too big! They are beautiful!! What about just SID in the blocks? I think that would really set it off! I think if you put a filler in there, it's just going to be too much... JMHO!! linda ps...good to see you on here! I really like your new picture!

Peggy, your quilt is lovely. Here's my two cents. I think just stitch close around the plates and the other do a , say 1/4" cross hatch. It would give it something in the middle but not really take away from how lovely it is now. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Peggy I don't think they are too big. You said you already did the SID on the dresden plates, right? did you do all the petals or just the outside. I would do the all the petals. I would probably fill in the background area with a fill. I like Monika's idea of pebbles but I'll warn you that that will be a lot of pebbles! LOL Another options would be to do shells or swirls or stippling. If you nail down that backgound it will make the plates pop more.

Yes Heidi, I did SID around each petal. Nailing down the background is what I would like to do, but I don't think I want to fill all that space with pebbles. This quilt is 104 x 120! I really didn't want to divide it in to blocks so much. I kind of want to do a background right over the seams. Think that will work?

I love what you have done so far. That feathered and filled motif is wonderful. I assume that you

have already SID'd the blocks and around (and thru) the plates.

To my eye, there is some fullness around the plates. I think that any small, but not tiny, fill

(including stipple) will look great around those plates. I don't think that the feather blocks need a fill, though.

Originally posted by peglu

Yes Heidi, I did SID around each petal. Nailing down the background is what I would like to do, but I don't think I want to fill all that space with pebbles. This quilt is 104 x 120! I really didn't want to divide it in to blocks so much. I kind of want to do a background right over the seams. Think that will work?

Yes I would do the same fill and ignore the seams. That will make the plates look like they are floating on a beautiful feathered background! Just remember whatever fill you pick to make it one you like to do. Pebbles do look really good but that will take a long time. Take your machine of SR and just go for it. It will go much quicker and you will be surprised how quickly you get a feel for it. I agree that it needs to be a smaller fill and not something to big. It is going to be beautiful.

I did a dresden plate wall hanging last year and I make tiny loops all around the plates. It gave it a lacey look and worked out really good. I had lots of ladies make the same wall hanging after seeing mine. Sorry that these pics aren't that good. Hope the links work.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2320494150103874934HODpcP

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2145797890103874934txInwv

Irene, I LOVE that quilt. It's beautiful. I ended up doing something similar. I am in the process of doing a loopy background fill around the motifs and the plates. I am ignoring the seam lines though. I didn't SID the individual blocks. I liked the idea of pebbles around the plates, but my pebbling needs more work. I should have it off the frame by Friday or Sunday. Will post pics when done.

Archived