where's the nomination form?

Here's another pic of the system. I still have a few drawers on top to go through and refold the fabric. This wall has 5 banks of drawers. I have a 6 drawer set on the bottom, with a 4 drawer set on top. (They stack and clip together.) So that's 50 drawers on that wall, and then there's another bank of 4 high by 4 wide at one end of my cutting table. It's just the right height for my granddaughters to work at, with a counter top and cutting board on top.

BTW, this is not all of the stash! I have bolts underneath the cutting board and more bolts on a bookcase. :P I'm on a fabric diet!

post--13461904199406_thumb.jpg

Hi Marilyn,

Sure you can come "shop", but I think the price of a plane ticket would buy you lots of NEW fabric! :cool:

I'm in the process of "culling" my fabric. OUT with the tiny little calico florals that I bought in 1990! OUT!! I go into the quilt shops and look at all the beautiful new designs, and feel too guilty to buy any. Besides that, there's no room to put it, so I've decided that life is too short to store outdated fabrics. I'm going to get rid of the guilt! So far I have 3 HUGE boxes full and it will all go to the MCC Quilters (Mennonite Central Commitee). They make quilts all year long to send to war torn countries and others ravaged by storms etc. They also put on a fabulous 3 day auction in September and auction off their beautiful hand made quilts. They are all made with donated "scaps".

I donated a quilt to the auction one year that I machine quilted, about 2 years after getting my first machine. I think it was the only machine quilted one there. It only brought $700 at the auction, but it did hit the front page of the newspaper. :)

Here's a link for the Ikea Antonius system if anyone's interested. I collected them over time and have never wished I had anything else. And believe me, I had tried everything else!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=Antonius

The drawers are $2.50 each and the frames are $9.99 & $14.99. Can't get much cheaper OR better than that! A set up like mine would cost $250. I then added a white laminated shelf to the top to keep dust out. Of course that also gives me another shelf for MORE stuff! ;)

Hm, I'm afraid to know how much fabric Abigail has - maybe we should all go shopping at her house:)

Darlene, I use a system similar to yours for storage, but I confess that my fabrics are not folded nearly so neatly! The MCC Quilters will be thrilled to get your donation - and you can buy more fabric without guilt>

Shannon, well at least you have a current mental inventory of your fabric. I delcare you at least the regional queen of The Stash. Pack fast in the morning; the rains start back up after lunch time. Wishing you safe travel.

Lynn

Regarding Jeannies comment;

"You might want to put huge signs on all of these bags. Notice, This is not garbage throw it out and you Die!! Just had a horrible thought that someone might mistake it for garbage and clean out your garage at the curb, oh No!!"

I wanted to let you know that one of my relatives threw away a quilt because it was in a garbage bag!! Don't let them out of your site. Just when you thought it would be a wonderful event that your husband would take out the trash without you nagging him to do it. LOLOL:P

Shannon,

You go girl. That is amazing for being only part of your collection. Have a safe trip and take your time unpacking and getting everything where you want it. I still can't find some of the stuff I moved back in September.

It's worth looking into clear rubble sacks for stuff you want to keep. Being clear you can see what is in them and it does reduce the risk of them leaving home with the bin men.

I thought I was in the running until I saw Darleen's stash. I think she has me and I love how it is all folded.

Ferret

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Darlene...your stash display is beautiful! So full of color...and so neat! :)

Hey Meg...just wondering...do you just love Barney?!?! He seems so full of character! :D

just look at him - who could reisit ~ just hangin' out ~ waiting for his next excellent adventure! barney is too cool for the room. :cool:

i think barney should summer in the finger lakes with me! :D

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

Here's a link for the Ikea Antonius system if anyone's interested. I collected them over time and have never wished I had anything else. And believe me, I had tried everything else!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=Antonius

The drawers are $2.50 each and the frames are $9.99 & $14.99. Can't get much cheaper OR better than that! A set up like mine would cost $250. I then added a white laminated shelf to the top to keep dust out. Of course that also gives me another shelf for MORE stuff! ;)

thanks for the link - I LOVE how you have your fabric!!!

Darlene,

I do the same as you except I fold the fabric around and 8.5" ruler. I also like the way you can just count folds and know how much there is.

HOwever, that is where the similarity ends. I put mine in plastic containers (66qt), which means that I have to take the whole stack out each time I am looking for something. I like you method of drawers sooooo much better. Now that I have all these plastic containers! Maybe I can get rid of those on Craig's list and get something like your system. Hmmmm!

Darlene - I am guessing that you have the mounted right to the wall - correct???

That would be a bunch of weight in these babies...... no problems so far? I was looking at other shelf units at Sam's club today and checking size and price. Some of those go upto 600 lbs. per shelf others 1,000 lbs total....

I need a better way and place to store my yardage. It has been washed and pressed, folded selv.edge to selv.edge and wrapped around a 6" long ruler....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Judi,

No, I don't have them screwed to the wall. They are stacked, a 4 drawer unit on top of a 6 drawer unit, then clipped together with the provided clips. There is a melamine shelf on top that also holds bins. I've used this system for many years, and it's been used in 3 different houses. It's surprisingly stable.

It was also very easy to move. We just pulled out the drawers, knocked the frames apart and reassembled at the new house. Drawers were slid back in place, without ever having to remove fabric to boxes or bins, and then reorganize. Easy peasy! ;)

Hi Judi,

No, I don't have them screwed to the wall. They are stacked, a 4 drawer unit on top of a 6 drawer unit, then clipped together with the provided clips. There is a melamine shelf on top that also holds bins. I've used this system for many years, and it's been used in 3 different houses. It's surprisingly stable.

It was also very easy to move. We just pulled out the drawers, knocked the frames apart and reassembled at the new house. Drawers were slid back in place, without ever having to remove fabric to boxes or bins, and then reorganize. Easy peasy! ;)

Archived