Question about PRICING!

Okay, everyone, does anyone have any thoughts on pricing this quilt out. It is custom, but some of you say that an all over feather meander shouldn't really cost as much so...what would you price this at? (Like cents/sq. inch)

Thanks!

2885097030105547490S500x500Q85.jpg

Monica Gum

APQS MILLENNIUM

Okay, everyone, does anyone have any thoughts on pricing this quilt out. It is custom, but some of you say that an all over feather meander shouldn't really cost as much so...what would you price this at? (Like cents/sq. inch)

Thanks!

2885097030105547490S500x500Q85.jpg

Monica Gum

APQS MILLENNIUM

Hi everyone! Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions! Like I said, it really was the first time doing this and I think I could do it a little faster next time, but that is how it goes!

It took me about 10 hours to quilt. It is about 95 x 95 sq. inches. At 5 cents (the average suggestion) it comes out to be about $450 plus I would charge for thread and batting. That is about $45 / hour, and I think that is pretty good for custom! You have to take into consideration all the other things like marking time, electric, tools, insurance, etc., etc.! so it really isn't gravy money but if you think that you may get to keep half--that is still alright! Unfortunately, I won't charge our guild anywhere near that price because I just don't feel like I can, but I wanted to know what I should be charging so when someone else wants that done to a quilt, the members will know what to tell them that it really would cost!

Typically, if I can get $30/hour, I think that is pretty good!

Thanks again!

Monica

APQS MILLENNIUM

My first thought was .05. I see I am in good company!

If I had feathered the entire quilt using the type of feathers you did, I would have charged .025. By adding the CC on the lone star, you bump up the price to probably .03 - .035. You added the special motif in the corners and probably marked them and used a ruler to stitch them out, the price gets bumped up even more.

I would then take the time it took me to quilt it and figure out what my hourly wage was and charge accordingly to get what my goal wage is. Make sense? ;)

Beautiful quilt, btw! And your feathers are awesome!!!

Hi Monica, I think the more you do these feathers, the faster you will get at them.

I am more in the rate ranges with Laurie G in California and Kristina in Nevada. In a nutshell, I try to make between $20.00 to $30.00 per hour range. Sometimes (if I'm lucky) I get a little more than $30.00 (this includes loading the quilt, etc). I don't charge by the hour, I charge by the square inch. Most of my customers want e2e pantos or freehand. Sometimes (not often) I do block designs. I have never had a customer that required me to charge $.05 psi (yet) I would consider that moving into the heirloom custom range rates. And then if I ever did heirloom custom quilting, I would probably have a chat about hourly rates, not psi. That's a whole nuther subject, tho...

Anyway, your quilting is gorgeous! :) I guess my main point is to not under-sell yourself, and not to overcharge either. Find out what your local quilters are charging and stay in that range. Find a happy medium. Some of the more established well known quilters can charge higher rates, but just starting out...if you are preplexed about what to charge the customer, you might want to have a heart to heart talk with customer and come to an agreement. Especially new customers; just treat them fairly, kindly, respectfully and you will reap many rewards in the future.

PS Keep up the great work!! :)

Archived