Baby got sprayed by a Skunk

I knew in my heart it was inevitable when we moved to our 12 acres of beauty up here, but....

Our Siberian Husky got a dose this morning and she feels so bad and stinks even worse. I rubbed her down with a towel right a way, I threw that one in the burn barrel, and I don't smell too good either. I know everyone says Tomato Juice, but I can:t handle a Siberian Husky in the bath tub by myself and what a mess that would make. I think I will leave her outside all day, night...week maybe???

Febreeze only works temporary, what about lemon juice if I spritz her with that????

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks so much. Thus is really cutting into my quilting time and I can just hear my hubby saying "you wanted a big dog"!

Just found a recipie on the internet that seems to be tried and proofen. Lets hope it works. I am starting to gag!

Removing the scent from objects or creatures can be difficult. Some home remedies suggest using tomato juice or vinegar. A more complex and effective remedy includes application of a mixture containing hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and liquid soap. The thiols, which are responsible for the odor, are not water soluble, even with soap, but the baking soda catalyzes the oxidative ability of the peroxide, which oxidizes the thiols into highly water-soluble sulfonates. In an episode of the television program MythBusters, the hydrogen peroxide mix was found to be the most effective smell removal agent.

The recipe:

* one quart 3% hydrogen peroxide

* 1/4 cup baking soda

* 1 teaspoon liquid soap

* (you can halve these ingredients as it only lasts for 24 hours once mixed)

Mix and apply to the dog using a cloth or spray bottle, leave on for about 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Remember this contains peroxide, so spot test fabrics first! It may also cause a slight lightening of your dog's fur.

Ahhh didn't even have to go through that mess. I took my box of Arm and Hammer baking Soda, my icing sugar sifter and my puppy outside and powdered her like a cake being careful to not get any in her eyes. Took another old towel and rubbed it in, she shook herself a few times and seems to smell....ok. Skunk spray is an oil, so the Baking Soda will absorb the oil. She is outside now and being a good girl, hope she learned her lesson.

Thanks so much for your sympathy and help.

Now to rid my house of the smell!

Good thinking for the baking soda. My mom's dogs did this once years ago. I got the job of taking them to the bathtub, upstairs, and doing the tomato juice thing. Looked like a terrible slasher movie scene in there.

Could you baking soda your house where she had been, then vacuum it up?

Good luck, I don't envy you.

Our dog got sprayed several times and we used a product we purchased at our local farm and ranch store called skunk-off. You rub it on full strength and just leave it to dry. The smell reminds me of some public restroom deodorizers. I would say it is 95% effective. I've also done the tomato sauce/juice before I discovered the skunk-off and I think the skunk-off works better. Hope this helps.:)

Thank you all. I sprinkled everything with baking soda, got both air conditioners going to get the smell out of the house, sprinkled Misty with baking soda again, seem just her head got it, either I am getting used to it, or my method is working.

Of course our little hardware store does not have a product called Skunk-Off, why would they, this never happens here in the backwoods....

They have it at the Pet store 1.5 hours away and I am contemplating going there.

Our dogs have been sprayed by skunks and we use the ingredients in the recipe that you posted, modified a bit. DH will mix 1/2 box baking soda with the peroxide and about 1/4 cup Dawn liquid dishwashing soap. I don't know how Dawn is different than other soaps, but that is the recommended brand. Mix in a bucket of water and bathe the dog with it. We have never found tomato juice to be helpful. DH tried one of the skunk-off products once and it didn't help, either. I don't think you can completely eliminate the smell, but the bath helps and only time will take care of it. Was she sprayed on long hair that you can trim off? Just another thought.

Monika,

You might want to try Tecnu, for poison oak. It breaks up the oils, and with your dogs long hair it might work better. I use it on my terriers first, then I use the baking soda, peroxide, dish soap and water method. After doing both, I can usually let my dogs back in the house.

Hope this helps!

Lori

Are you sure sshe didn't want the peroxide treatment!! She might want to be blonde for a while. Just trying to be helpful. There used to be a dog shampoo on the market I think it was called Odor Ban or something like that, it was supposed to remove skunk odor. Back when we had carpet and a really old dog, who wasn't well, I cleaned my carpet with it.

A little hard to find products you need today, but check around and have some on hand for next time, because we all know there will be a next time. We get some skunks in town periodically and the dogs have to go out on a leash when they are around, because big dummy would think it was a cat!!

Shirley

Shirleyl....she is a white dog with dark markings, so didn't want to bleach her anymore. Found some "skunk't" Skunk Odor Eliminator in a little town 1/2 hour down the road, wetted her down good and letting it dry naturally now. Hopefully it will do the trick. Gave her and a big soup bone to gnawon outside, I don't want her in the house....might even sleep outside tonight....we'll see.

Thanks for all your help and kind words, and yes, I will be prepared next time (hope that never happens)

Monika,

You can order the skunkoff online also. I always kept two or three bottles on hand in N. Idaho. For whatever reason the skunks love being by the lake and the dogs were always getting sprayed. It works quick and is pretty painless. Much better than the tomato soup method!!

I had a dog once that seemed to get used to the smell I think. We lived by a lake in MN and the same dog used to catch little sunfish and bury them until they got ripe and then he would roll in them yuck it was either rotten fish or the neighborhood skunks. wish I had known there was something else besides tomato juice then!!! FINALLY JUST PAINTED THE BATHROOM RED to avoid the slasher syndrome. Monika, hope your girl learns!! My boy never did oh yeah and I forgot to mention he weighed 165 pounds!! I was MUCH younger and in better shape then:P dale

I got some "Skunk Off" shampoo from the Vet yesterday and rubbed her forehead with it, the odor is all gone today. It is said to be 95% effective with the first shampoo.....But in a pinch, sprinkle baking soda on them and let them shake it off outside. Skunk Sprray is an oil and the worst thing you can do is rub your pets coat prior to removal of the oil....just some food for thought.

OMG, this reminds me when our cat got sprayed by a skunk. That cat was mighty sorry looking. It was October. I heated up a canner about 1/2 full with tomato juice so it wouldn't be so cold. I put a garbage bag with armholes cut out over my head. I took the canner outside where it promptly started to "steam" as it was so cold out. I got a hold of the cat by four legs and dunked her a couple of times into this steaming cauldron or tomato juice. Now, there is nothing madder than a cat that has been dunked into a steaming cauldron of tomato juice. It must have looked like some evil ritual to anyone in the neighborhood who saw a woman wearing a black garbage bag dunking a cat in a steaming cauldron around Halloween.

Archived