How can I fix this?

This is a top that my neighbor's great grandma pieced, and she wants me to repair it and add a border so she can use it on her bed. As you can see, it is a very friendly one. I want to help her and try to make this work. Do I need to take it apart? I think it is beyond the capability of starch and steam.

post--134619046164_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Karol did you forget?, Everyone knows that longarm quilters can perform magic on friendly quilt tops! Just do your longarm dance around the quilt top, put on a spool of your magical fix-all thread, flick & swish your ruler across the quilt a few times saying a few enchanted words and presto you will have a beautiful show quality quilt.:P

When I explained that we had an issue with puckering, she said, "Oh, you can't just iron it?" I told her I thought I would have to take it apart, so you all are giving me hope that I can tame this beautiful beast. I'm thinking lots of pinning, so the setting squares stay square, and steam, starch, and poofy batting. And a few magic words, etc.

I agree with those above. - Starch & steam the dickens out of it. If it's laying pretty flat use some real puffy batting to help take up the fullness. If it is still quite friendly, then take out the setting triangles & squares and see if you can get the star to lay flat. Measure and re-cut the setting triangles & squares and resew them in. I think that this quilt can definitely be beautiful. Also, I would use curvy motif's to help take up any extra fabric. You can do this.;)

Some of you suggested doubling up on the batting. What should I use? There is a lot of fullness in this star, as well as in the setting triangles and squares.

You have given me hope that I can make this work without taking it apart. Thanks for all your words of advice and encouragement.

I just did a quilt like this. I used an edge to edge. The border is made with poly and the lone star is cotton. (They don't play well together) I took pics as I was rolling the top, to show the customer or to keep for my own records. The blue border rolled too tightly, where the centre had a bubble. I was so worried that it wouldn't "quilt out", I phoned the customer. She advised me to carry on and to do my best with it! I did and the result was quite pleasing. The customer was so thrilled that she showed it to the local guild. I would suggest talking to the customer and explain the how's and the why's. I find by just communicating with all customers it really adds to the relationship between customer, quilter and quilt top....

I hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

I got the go ahead from the customer, and worked on adding borders, and repairing the handwork, and took a few tucks. The top is still very rippled, but I am going to try using two batts and hope for the best. The batts I plan to use are QD cotton on the bottom and Dream Puff on top. Will I need to raise the hopping foot?

Any other tips are more than welcome. I really want this to come out nice.

Karol,

Depending on the cotton loft will depend if you have to raise your foot. I've used 2 batts with not problem of raising but if I add in trapunto with that mix then I would have to raise the foot. I think the key thing to keep an eye on when using 2 batts is to make sure you don't get the batting wrinkled when rolling forward. Be sure to give each a good tug and you should be fine. Have fun with it. It looks like most of the fullness is in the background so I would probably quilt as I go. Outline the star and borders and then fill the background. I'll bet that pulls in a lot. My worry about doing the star first would be that you would pull in that area even more and create more wrinkles in the white area. If you do do the center first make sure you pin baste super good!

I did one just like this last year for our Guild. It had been donated by the family of an elderly woman along with several other quilt tops. I used a poly batt & a medium density E2E. There were a couple of puckers and I had to ease it in a few places as I stitched but it came out looking a lot better than it started. I did think about redoing the setting squares & triangles but there was also too much fullness in the diamonds so I didn't try to re-sew anything.

It was subsequently chosen by a local family who lost their house to a fire.

Do let us know how this one comes out. We love pics.

Bonnie, you asked about price. This is a neighbor whose husband did us a huge favor and saved us lots of time and money, so I am being generous with my time on this one. They also own horses and give riding lessons, so we agreed to barter some services. Otherwise, I would pay myself at least $15 per hour.

Archived