Unemployed shock

I am an RN. Two years ago was offered $25,000 and health insurance to retire early. I was 55. I was assured by the Director of Nurses that no one else could do my job. I was hired into a union hospital with very specific job requirements that included case management, database management, supervision, triage, quality improvement, etc. I elected to keep working as I could never make the yearly income in a non-union clinic and I loved the job, was too early to retire.

So, 2years later, Childrens Hospitals are in financial straits and decided to downsize. People who were released had sometimes 25-30 years experience ( weren't in a union). I came in only 2 years ago. I was bumped from my position by someone who has 35 years experience at Childrens, but no casemenagement, no computer skills, no supervisory experience, and no quality improvement. She has one month to learn to do the job that I did! I can be recalled if she doesn't. This nurse is on a disciplinary plan because she hasn't done her job in years and was almost out the door because of her performance. She is a union steward.

Now, I understand why the union supports someone with more experience bumping into a position for which they are qualified and meet the job requirement. There is no way she can master all these skills that took me years in one month. Why doesn't the union support the nurse in the position with the skills required for the job?

Most importantly, where are the patients in these decisions. The clinic is in turmoil with job roles and the patients needs are not getting met.

Never thought in a million years that as a nurse with 36 years of experience I would be unemployed. There are many many nursing jobs open, however, I have severe arhritis in both knees and cannot work the floor, that is why I was in triage. I will take a $20-25,000 decrease in pay in any job outside a union organization.

Luckily, my husband who is a project management consultant found work EXACTLY one week before I was laid off! God is good!

The upside... I get to quilt!

Holly,

I am finding that when it comes to medical help the patients are the last thought! I was disgusted by the lack of assistance both at the hospital and the nursing home my mom is in. I can't blame the nurses because they are stretched so thin they are doing the best they can and I don't see them sitting around eating bon bons. On the flip side as a daughter listening to my mother say that she called for 30 minutes because she had to go to the bathroom and nobody even looked in to see why two patients were screaming for help really gets me angry! There was an aid fired because she did a 1 peron lift for my mother's roommate when she shoud have had a 2 person lift. I understand the dangers of doing this but I also understand having a patient who has to go and there is nobody else around to help. I'm sorry you got laid off. I wish I were 55 already because that is when I'm retiring. Hubby told me that he was thinking that he could work until he was 65 and I told him knock yourself out. For all I care he can work until he is 100 but I'm done at 55. I am the one that has to juggle all the hats in the family and I figure retiring at 55 is my reward for doing 2 or 3 jobs most of my adult life :P:P:P.

Enjoy your "vacation" and in the mean time keep your eyes and ears open for another opportunity. Something might come up that you have never even considered doing. Example: Any insurance company headquarters near you that you could possibly be a case investigator?

My aunt was a nurse practitioner that worked in a family clinic. Then was in charge of the ER during the eves/nights at the local hospital. She taught nursing at the local college for 8 years and then was hired to redesign the nursing program at a college out of state and did that for 2 years. They paid for her flight out on Monday am and back each Wed pm. She spent several years working for an insurance company investigating claims and was paid well to do so. She once told me that the options open to nurses was far more than working in the hospital. I realized she was a nurse practitioner and not an RN.

Good Luck with your days and choices ahead.

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.

Unfortunately, you are not alone.Sometimes the union protects those it shouldn't.

I got my letter in the mail, and litterally had to pay (it was sent registered mail COLLECT!!!!!!) to find out my job was no longer mine. Just be glad you were told face to face and not sent a letter and then had to pay for the darn thing.

I know in our nurses union, a nurse is a nurse and senority is the bottom line. I worked in the OR and had an Operating Room post grad diploma which I paid for and was bumped out of the OR by an RN who worked on the medical floor and then the hospital had to pay to train. The kicker, she left 2 days after her 3 month on the job training.

You will get over this insult and be a better person for it. Now go enjoy your retirement, living well is the best revenge ;)

Lisa :)

Holly, that sure was quite a shock. I am so sorry that happened to you and pray you will find something that will bring you great satisfaction and pay. God never shuts a door that he doesn't have one ready to open. I know it is hard but we are called to praise him in all things, not just he good!! I know you will be taken care of as you are his child!! Blessings.

I have just retired happily at age 55 after 33 years of teaching. I think that was enough. It is so wonderful not to have to work on lesson plans on Sundays. And now I can quilt and work on my own art. Yay! I wanted to retire while I can still see, and move, and enjoy retired life.

Originally posted by hollyc

So, 2years later, Childrens Hospitals are in financial straits and decided to downsize. People who were released had sometimes 25-30 years experience ( weren't in a union). I came in only 2 years ago. I was bumped from my position by someone who has 35 years experience at Childrens, but no casemenagement, no computer skills, no supervisory experience, and no quality improvement. She has one month to learn to do the job that I did! I can be recalled if she doesn't. This nurse is on a disciplinary plan because she hasn't done her job in years and was almost out the door because of her performance. She is a union steward.

There is no way she can master all these skills that took me years in one month.

The upside... I get to quilt!

So sorry to read of the turmoil in your work life.

I have quoted the above as it really stood out to me. This woman is neither trained nor motivated to do your job. Wait a month. Quilt for a month! You will be so missed there--I will wager that you will be returning after her probationary period is up. Union or no, the cream rises to the top and you are a treasure they can't afford to lose.

Look around in the meantime and see what may pique your interest. Your skill-set is huge!

Good luck, relax if you can, and the best way to get re-hired is to start a massive quilting project that will take months to finish--that's how it always goes!;)

Guest Linda S

I have learned to just sit back and shake my head. There is just about no way to cut through the BS of bureaucracy. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups is all I have to say.

Heidi. My dear father in law was in the hospital and fell out of bed and called for help, couldn't get anyone so he called 911 and told them he had fallen out of bed and please come help him!! He was 84 and passed a few weeks later. My mil had the same bathroom experience in the nursing home. My husband finally went to hunt down a nurse and the 6 of them at the desk said she wasn't their patient but they would go find her nurse. That's why I have my liquid morphine stashed away!! (enough to kill me)

Carreen

Oh my, that is one heck of a shock to the system. I feel for you! It is true, one door closes and another opens. Sometimes, we just don't know why things happen the way they do but it is for a reason. So keep smiling, keep quilting and watch and listen to see what is around the corner...It just might surprise you in a good way. I know it is difficult at the moment but my favorite saying is "and this too shall pass". ;);););)

I am going to reply from the point of view of a union representative:

It is more than likely that when the actual job description for the position is reviewed that your specialized skills are not a prerequisite for the job (even though they actually are, I bet that is not in writing).

If she is on a disciplinary plan (we call it an improvement plan) and has not improved but is still employed, it is because someone at the management level has not done their job and documented her deficiencies. If she has improved and is now deemed to be competent, and meets the requirements for the position, then, by seniority, it should be hers.

Without negotiated policy for layoff, employees run the risk of layoffs that are predicated on favor and prejudice.

One thing I have learned over the years, is never assume that your employer really feels that you are indispensable. They will tell you whatever fits their needs at a particular time.

I don't work under a union but I am in the project and construction business and work with a variety of union construction contractors. I can see the plus (positive) side of the union workforce, and I can also see the down side (negative) of having union workforce. For example for construction jobs that start, and run the course of the project, and then the job is wrapped up... for this, I think having workers organized under a union is a very good thing. That keeps the workers trained up and they just move from one job to the next. That said, for other types of professions where the employee is not moving from one project (job) to another, a union is -- come on now, seriously -- is it really necessary for people like nurses and professionals to have a union representing them? I have had my doubts as to the real "BENEFIT" of a union for professionals that work day in and day out in their job. The only benefit is that the union collects dues from the people. What do they really do for their employees for all the dues they pay in? Some of this union stuff --- I dunno; it's a big scam. And most unions have the "seniority" policy in place where they will keep (employed) the fat old lazy worker that knows the game and will skate through collecting a paycheck... and lay off the hard working young guy that's trying to get seniority. Ask me why I know this? My husband works under a union like this where the keep the lazy "seniority" and lay off the good worker. It's really unbalanced. It's screwed up. Some unions are just another layer of "management" that the employee has to go through to get things done, and I don't see the "benefit" for the employee.

Originally posted by rrteach

IOne thing I have learned over the years, is never assume that your employer really feels that you are indispensable. They will tell you whatever fits their needs at a particular time.

Oh this is very true! Sad, scary but true. We all are (sorry to sound like it) just a number...in the big scheme. We are all replaceable.

Holly, sorry you had such a setback. Anyway, I think that all things like this happen for a good reason so you go and find the good reason. All will work out OK for you if you keep your options open and your attitude positive.

I am a special ed. teacher and YES, the union is necessary! In recent times, it is not unusual for schools to try to deny services to those students who need it the most, especially if the parents are naive or poor. There have been many times where I have had to fight for what my students need and are entitle to. I would not have been able to do that if it were not for the union. When a school official did try to retaliate, it was the union that came to my rescue.

I have seen the same happen to hard-working nurses when they try to act in the best interest of the patient instead of profits.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this bump in the road.

I spent half my career as a proud union employee before going into management. I was on the state board for my union and then State president of my management group so I have seen and dealt with both sides of this issue.

Unions are a wonderful thing, they have raised the standards for everyone, union and non. They do, however have to represent some folks who are not so deserving. In the end all of those types that I represented were weeded out eventually. It sounds like you will probably get you job back when your replacement can't cut it. Hang in there it usually irons itself out. Enjoy your time, collect a little unemployment if able and quilt your heart out. If the shoe was on the other foot and you were losing your position after 36 years and had bumping rights, you would be very happy. Sometimes our decisions don't always pan out but when one door closes, the next open one might lead to something even better.

Best wishes to you.

I never worked for a union so I can't really give an opinion. My brother-in-law said one of the biggest problem with the automobile industry was the unions demands. I retired in 2007 at the age of 54 and started a new career. You really can't live on military retirement pay. I would love to retire any given day but darn I have to work, to pay for my "toys". I'm also the "major" family income. I really want my hubby to retire at 65 because he deserves it. He did 24 years in the Navy and supported my military service and others by becoming an ombudsman. In addition, he's a much better "house-husband" then I'm a "house-wife". Get out and vote, vote, vote on Tuesday!!!!

I'm sorry Holly, I didn't mention you. I've got you in my prayers. It's sad that nurses are being layed-off. We really need nurses in or area, most are writing their own contracts. I just miss the "home town hospitals". The "for profit" hospitals are just not the same as what I grew up with.

Thank you all for being so encouraging.

When I started in a union hospital 36 years ago, I made more money than my husband's aunt who had been a nurse for 25 year ago all because of the union. I have them to thank for negotiated good wages. However, the downside certainly is that the patients, who should be a priority in a hospital are not always the first consideration. The job description was clearly in writing with these requirements for the job when I was hired. The union has started a formal grievance for a group of employees like myself.

The hospital has the nurse educators working with this gal. I was asked to write up all the parts of my job so a competency could be written and the nurse evaluated as to her progress in one month. The kicker for me was when HR told my manager "Holly is exceptional, you need to be more realistic in your expectations." Too bad "exceptional" isn't important to patient care.

I have to say that I feel sorry for this nurse. She was on an improvement plan, they elimnated her position because they couldn't see any work product or reason to keep an RN in the Genetics clinic. Going to work everyday to a place that isn't happy you are there would not be easy or pleasant.

I am currently interviewing for other positions. Even if this nurse doesn't work out and they call me back, my husband is so against me going back to this job, I most likely won't go back. Childrens isn't done with their downsizing and it would be only a matter of time before I am out again.

Thank you all for listening.

I'll keep you in my thoughts - and keep my fingers crossed that you will be very happy at the next position you find. Once you leave this all behind you - and work through the sense of betrayal this can leave us with - life will be better. Does burn your butt though - doesn't it. Grrrr. Okay - done getting angry for you. Now I'll dance that you're moving on, taking action, and you have a wonderfully supportive husband.

Archived