cold weather arrival tip...

with the arrival of cooler temperatures for us in the states, i wanted to remind y'all about 'warming' your machine up when you first start quilting...

i just let Nemo set in manual mode for about 3-4 minutes...no thread through the needle, of course! i leave the bobbin case with bobbin case in also. i do believe that this does help (it couldn't hinder) i like to think that the grease and such in our machines needs this 'warm' up and get into all the nook and crannies to do it's job correctly...or maybe this is my excuse to justify the time to check emails and read blogs :P

My routine, as you probably remember, is to let my machine run (thread and bobbin out) for about 10 min while I vacuum the studio rug and wait for the air compressor to compress air. I've done it forever. Like you, not sure if it helps, but it sure can't hurt!;)

Yes, I have heat. My machine doesn't get run every day. I also put a drop of oil in the bobbin area when I first start out, so running the machine prevents that big blob of oil on the thread or on the back of the quilt. I just think it distributes the oil throughout the machine in general. Could be unnecessary, but that's what I was told to do when I first got my Millie. And you know, more than once I have had a bad needle or something not quite right and I could address it before I started quilting. :)

Originally posted by Primitive1

any ideas to help with static electricity? I have tried wiping down the table and machine with a dryer sheet and misting the air in my studio with a little water...

Someone here gave a recommendation several years ago to fill a slow cooker/crock pot with water and turn it on to add some humidity to the air. I fill mine and turn it on medium--with the lid off--and it works well. I put a big loop of ribbon on the door knob to remind myself to turn it off and unplug when I leave the studio.

We are pretty wet here in Washington, but the humidity drops dramatically as the temps approach freezing.

Like Kristina, we have had freezing temperatures at night time for a couple weeks now and my furnace is running steady. I also have a humidifier (a small one) just for my Studio, keeps down the static and keeps thread moisturized. i have a humidity between 35 and 45% and that works well. When i start getting nose bleeds, i know to increase the humidity. I hate winter, love the look of fresh snow, but hate the cold and dry air.

You Southern girls make me laugh too. I can laugh, I was born in New Orleans and grew up in Tennessee. Now I'm in Wyoming where it is cold and dry. Really dry. And did I mention cold?

I find that the shoes I wear make a huge difference with static. When I wear tennis shoes (on carpet) I spark my Millie so hard the stitch regulator and channel locks turn on when I get close to her (without touching, I swear!). So I wear different shoes, for some reason leather with a black rubber sole works well.

I haven't gone to a humidifier yet, but probably will this winter.

My Millie is in the guest house where the temp sometimes drops down to 50. She's sluggish without a warm up. I can't warm her up with thread in the bobbin though, that makes a huge mess (ask me how I know:D:D)

Originally posted by Linda S

I thought I had heard that it is unnecessary to "warm up" our machines. I've never done it and my machine is six years old.

Not totally misinformed.....but how it was explained to me as I live in a fairly cold climate...nothing compared to Canada, or even the Mid-West where 60 below is nothing. However, if the room that you have your machine in isn't heated regularly and its colder than 60-65 in your room, the heat should be turned up and the machine should be given a few minutes to warm. The oils in the machine get cold and it don't just automatically move around freely, it does need to warm up a bit to get all the joints moving and the oil to flow. I never run the machine at full speed when its cold, slow and then speed up after a few minutes of running.

Now if you have the machine in a room where it never gets below 75 I wouldn't worry about it as much, but I do let it warm up each time for at least 5 minutes before we go off quilting.

I am wondering about the So Cal desert. Today we are still in the 90's and in shorts. By mid week, next week, we are to be in the 70's. Still perfect weather In the wintertime when we might need heat, we keep the house around 72. I still warm her up in the winter for a few minutes.

Marilyn

Archived