Simply Quick Table Runner - EDITED DIRECTIONS & SYLVIA'S CLASS NOTES

This is a super quick and easy table runner I made at our guild Fun Day. I'm not fond of turning inside-out instead of binding, but thought I would give it a go as the leader insisted this was supposed to be a "simple and quick" project. After turning and pressing I topstitched on my DSM, then decided to mount on my Millie and used a "holly ribbon" panto. Took it to the meeting and everyone was amazed; they had all just SID theirs! Very quick and easy; glad I chose Christmas fabrics as I now have a present all ready to give!

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

post--13461905039372_thumb.jpg

very cute table runner.. the quick turn is nice for those little projects. I too love the mini's display.. what is the tall silver one, second from left. Is it by chance a hemmer, of just one of a few made in that style? I think it was a chain stitcher.

Beautiful cabinet, too.. love the whole thing..

Thanks, Heidi, Sylvia, Carol and Carmen. Everyone was laughing at me cause I never finish anything in a class; I didn't even bring batting had to borrow from the leader! It turned out really nice, and I was pleased with what a quick and easy project it was.

Angie, I don't know the name of the pattern. The leader gave us a handout in class.

Debbie, am sending you an e-mail.

Bekah, thanks for the comments on my husband's handiwork. He designed and built these cabinets along one wall in my studio. There are two identical cabinets that hold my fabric with a window seat between. I sit on the window seat and do my hand-sewing.

Jeanne, I have scoured antique shops, sewing machine repair shops and what-nots on my travels for years and have found some real treasures. My collection goes back 30+ years. Here are a couple of my favorites. The small hand-painted one is from Germany. The small Singer has an electric motor.

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

post--1346190504034_thumb.jpg

Hi Vickie,

Love what you did with this! :D

It looks like it's put together "log cabin" style, starting with the center rectangle and building ou on each side. You could make it as long as you want just be adding more strips.

Can you tell us the size of the center piece and the strips? Pleeze? :cool:

Sure, Darlene, here is a quick recipe:

1/3 yd of 3 coordinating fabrics (EDITED - total about 1/3 yd)

18" x 54" backing fabric and batting

Choose a "focus" fabric for the center and cut one 6-1/2" x 9-1/2" rectangle.

From ALL 3 fabrics, cut six 3-1/2" x 9-1/2" rectangles. (total of 18)

Start with center 6-1/2" x 9-1/2" rectangle, sew fabric #2 to each side of the 9-1/2" side. Press all seams out.

Continue adding fabrics by number, one strip at a time to each end of the "center" focus fabric. (Add fabric #3, then #1, then #2, etc.) Add as many strips as you like, always adding the same fabric to each end of the table runner until you get the desired length. These directions are for 18 strips which makes 54" runner.

Lay batting down then place backing right side UP on top of batting. Lay pieced runner right side DOWN on top of backing. Pin all 3 layers together and stitch 1/4" around; leaving a 6" opening to fit your hand into for turning.

Clip corners and snip to the seam on inner corners all the way around. Turn inside out and push points out. Press carefully and stitch opening closed.

Quilt as desired (love that part!)

In my photo, the flowered fabric is #1 (focus), the green is #2, and the red is #3. Hope that helps.

Enjoy!

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

Archived