Beginner Researching Long Arm Quilting Machine

Clare

I took a while to find your forum - and I just know that I will be visiting frequently!!

I am coming back to quilting after a break of 12 years (had twins 12 years ago and lost my studio space to bedrooms). We're just about finished renovating to create a beautiful studio for me (I am hopping excited!!!). Anyway, I have created an area where I could put a long arm quilting machine - the thing is I don't know anyone who has one. Our local sewing shop has a beautiful looking system the Pfaff Grand Quilter 18.8 with the Inspira Imperial quilt frame. The price is around $10,000. I have noticed that almost no one has mentioned this machine or frame. Any comments? Recommendations? I am very happy to look at a second hand machine - any recommendations there also?

I never use quilting patterns, almost always free motion. Also I use heat n bond quite a bit. My quilts are used as wall hangings as opposed to traditional quilts for beds/comfort. My pieces are usually quite large 6' x 6' and larger.

Thank you

Clare

Hope someone can help me find my way.

I took a while to find your forum - and I just know that I will be visiting frequently!!

I am coming back to quilting after a break of 12 years (had twins 12 years ago and lost my studio space to bedrooms). We're just about finished renovating to create a beautiful studio for me (I am hopping excited!!!). Anyway, I have created an area where I could put a long arm quilting machine - the thing is I don't know anyone who has one. Our local sewing shop has a beautiful looking system the Pfaff Grand Quilter 18.8 with the Inspira Imperial quilt frame. The price is around $10,000. I have noticed that almost no one on your forum has mentioned this machine or frame. Any comments? Recommendations? I am very happy to look at a second hand machine - any recommendations there also?

I never use quilting patterns, almost always free motion. Also I use heat n bond quite a bit. My quilts are used as wall hangings as opposed to traditional quilts for beds/comfort. My pieces are usually quite large 6' x 6' and larger.

Thank you

Clare

Hope someone can help me find my way.

if you are willing to get a second hand machine - look under the for sale sub forum. there are many for sale, and you will get lots more for your money there. depending on where you are located, many will even set it up for you and give you a lesson. its worth a look for sure. happy hunting!

You might also consider looking at a George machine. Less money than the Pfaff, much more room to quilt, but less space than a Lenni or other machine with a table. Not to mention how wonderful any machine from APQS is, but then I'm biased.

Your post doesn't say where you live, but I'd recommending contacting the local rep for your area by going here.

http://www.apqs.com/dealers.php

They will be able to answer your questions, let you go for a test drive and experience the joy of an APQS machine for yourself.

Have fun, and visit often please

I have to agree with Sylvia, The Green Lucy with Bliss is an incredidable buy. I know if i did not already have my Lenni, i would be very tempted myself:)

PS, nearly forgot, Welcome , you have come to the best longarm forum on the WWW. Great people and loads of info and help freely given.

Thank you all for your quick responses - I feel more enlightened all the time. I am sooo excited to have found this forum. I really was in the dark.

I connected with my local APQS rep in BC. Canada, Debra Sanderson (thank you Beth Durrand for your suggestion)

It sounds like the Green Lucey with Bliss is quite the buy right now - and has most of what I am looking for.

I will keep looking on the "Used machines" section of this forum. I think the Lucey deal ($9,000) is till the end of December, so I have some time to look around still.

I live in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada - for those of you who asked.

Clare,

Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you've had a busy dozen years...we're glad you can finally revisit your love of quilting. You'll discover many "mid-arm" machines on the market today. Here are a few features to consider:

* quilting space and/or throat size--you don't want to lose space as you work with the quilt gathering up on the frame's take up roller

* stitch regulator--this is a biggie, especially if you're just coming back into quilting and will still be busy raising a family. As such, you may not have time to quilt every single day. A stitch regulator shortens your learning curve immensely so that you can concentrate on your design instead of your motion.

* ease of loading--you don't want to spend a half day loading a quilt, you want to spend that time actually quilting it!

* warranty--look for a long warranty, a sign of the machine's durability for heavy duty quilting.

* simple controls--another "biggie" if you aren't going to quilt every single day. It's no fun to spend the first hour of a quilting session trying to re-learn the controls and what they do.

For my two cents, the price range you mentioned actually is more expensive than the APQS Lenni, which is a "true" longarm of 20-inches, designed to handle intense, heavy-duty quilting. That's why its warranty is 8 years and its stitch regulator quality is evident by the number of winning quilts completed on APQS machines each year. But I am prejudiced, because I've had my APQS since 1994 and I'm still in love!

Clare, a welcome from Down Under!

Something to consider when choosing your longarm - to me, the needle up/down button is an important feature, even more than the SR. My first machine (not APQS) didn't have either! Think of the features you'd like for your budget and go for it! I do recommend trying the machines out if you possibly can. Two of the reasons I went for APQS ( I got a Millie as I quilt for customers) are the lighter weight of the machine compared to other makes, and the 8 year warranty.

Happy quilting,

Shelley

Clare,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for a longarm machine. I'm not affiliated with APQS but I do own an APQS Lenni and I have not regretted my decision once. APQS is a wonderful company to deal with. Their customer service is the absolute best and their warranty can't be beat. Shop around and try as many longarms as you can...you'll quickly discover the right machine for you. As far as help and support, this forum is the BEST! Your new studio space sounds wonderful. Good luck with your search.

Archived