NQR How Bad is It!

This will be the longest Christmas holiday ever. Since mid November kids have missed 12 days of School (ARGHH!!!) and probably not go at all this week. Parties and concerts all being cancelled.

Winter is earlier and more snowy/colder than usual. Four wheel drive is essential here, not getting all deliveries/post, rationing heating oil as suppliers won't guarantee any before mid Jan. Had so many layers on that I could not zip up my coat!

It's well cold!!!

Last night was quite balmy at minus 16 degrees Celsius....

We don't usually get winter this early or this cold...this weather front started 25th November.....

But Yay...we got a delivery of kerosene for the Aga and central heating yesterday....We farm cows, sheep and horses, winters can be difficult enough but we have been buying diesel from neighbours for the tractors to feed animals as we ran out just as the snow came at the end of November ...neighbours of course were getting reluctant to let us have more as the oil companies are telling customers that new orders will not be delivered until 15th January at least.....we spoke to our National Farmers Union on Thursday and believe it or not Kerosene and Diesel arrived on the same lorry early yesterday.....we've gone from famine to feast overnight and our old drafty farmhouse is warm again today in time for Christmas.....we have that many quilts on our bed that it's difficult to get in and out let alone roll over!

Travel is a bit difficult so anyone who was not ready with Christmas shopping/presents will be a bit unlucky as from last week internet customers from Scotland are not allowed to shop at certain internet stores as delivery will definately not be guaranteed for Christmas....

My Son supplies timber from his sawmill for craft and DIY work but also for home heating...he has had women crying on the phone as no one was delivering supplies.....as soon as he could he was off delivering even though the roads were not really safe......

Aparrently there are plentiful supplies of grit and salt for the roads but local authorities don't seem to be using it as they should to keep the roads clear!

Getting my 80 year old Mother here for Christmas will be the next trial...she lives alone only 80 miles away (not far by US standards) but this year maybe she will have to stay home alone for Christmas......

Dave, I do believe that you are hearing weather updates beacause there has been snow down in the South of England even London...everyone hears of it when they get snow down south!!!! Sorry Janette...not getting at you...:P:P

This is a particularly early and cold winter...we were all caught out by it in late November.......

But....I do believe we will have a white Christmas!

Well here in Darlington, we are not quite as cold as at Kay's. Only -4 at the mo. We got the snow bad a couple of weeks ago,still big piles of it laid around, but it has missed us this time , though 7 miles down the road they had around a 6" fall.

My DS has just told me that the fish pond and waterfall have frozen, that does not happen very often. I think this is the worst winter we have had for many years.

I do remember though my DM telling me stories of the 20ft snow drifts they used to get when she was young. Lets hope the weather is not going back to those days.

Kay's correct about the news though, you will always hear more news about the south than us up the north :P:P:P

In the south of France, no snow but freezing weather, the little ponds near us with the pink flamingos were frozen the other morning, but the birds were in deeper water. Today rain, and guess the storm is coming from the south so that will bring warmer air. In the north lots of snow. Hope everyone stays warm for the Holiday season.

Hope you all fare well in this, sounds like you get treated like us, the farther away from the big hubs you are the less newsworthey you seem to be. People in the country know how to make due and survive better too is what they say. LOL I guess being closer to nature you tend to rely on your own wits more than others. But the taxman still wants you to help pay for everybody! Ha Ha. Well I hope you make do and stay warm, at least I know all of you can cuddle up in those beautiful quilts you've made and give the new ones a good test run. Keep us posted---Dave B.

I live down in the soft southeast where snow happens for one day a year about every 5 years normally.

So far we have had 2 big falls of snow this month, 6" deep at the moment and life just grinds to a halt. I think it is because we are now so reliant upon cars for all aspects of everyday life. Kids seem unable to walk to school and most people live too far away to walk to work. It has also been below freezing for many, many days.

We don't have the equipment to plough the roads of snow (because it so rarely happens). People don't know how to drive in the snow so more accidents happen and we don't have snow tyres.

Generally no problem here with power so we have a feezer full of food and I can quilt, so I'm all set to be stuck indoors. On the down side I can't go and dig fresh veg of the allotment as the ground is frozen solid and I may have to work extra time in my shop if staff are stuck at home. At least all customer quilts are now finished for christmas.

Sitting beside log fire with glass of wine while daft husband digs his GTi out... He thought it would be fun to go for a little drive

Tried to help pull it uphill and backwards in Landy but it was too dark and icy, my fault, obviously:P no way was I taking risk of sliding back into his boy racer so decided to leave him to it!

Wow you guys. I sure hope that the snow lets up for you. I've been surprised that we have not had a major snow yet. We had 2" or so last week which was enough to have hubby wreak his car :mad: but not much more than the ground coated. It has been cold so the snow hasn't melted yet. Some days I think being snowed in with a foot of snow would be great but then I'd be snowed in with MIL :(:(:(. I'll have to make sure I get snowed into my lady cave! LOL I hope we don't get snow now because I have to finish my shopping. I have way more to do than I should but just can't seem to get out and get it done. Oh well.

Glad you guys are ok. Heidi, 2in of snow in VA Beach is major, LOL. It never snows here but last week we got smacked. Everything shut down when it got to be around 1/2in. Schools were closed. All gone now but the cold is getting to be a "pain". I must say that VDOT did a great job this time. My worry is for the pot holes in the spring, our roads aren't built to take this freezing weather.

Haha ...Shana...I was wondering when you would chip in on this......how on earth do you cope ...this country has almost ground to a halt...us farmers must carry on though and look after the animals....but tonight I am really annoyed...my darned shower is frozen.....had to bath in the tub...been along time since I've done that.....have to say it was a bit like being in a hot tub coz although we now have heating oil....the house is still freezing really!

Best Wishes

Dear Euro quilters: I feel your pain, hope things get back to a normal winter soon. We moved to Atlanta area from the upper midwest years ago. The first season down here, in Dec. it snowed about an inch. I was amazed they called off school, I went to the store for groceries and found no one in the parking lot, the store closed, came home and found out that A: no one has snow or all weather tires, and B: they don't know how to drive on it, and most important C: in a city of 80,000 there were only 3 plow/salt trucks!!!! This in very hilly country. Over the years my kids have had really good belly laughs about the locals way of handling ice and snow!! We had the only snow shovel in the neighborhood....

I have carried the habit of having extra supplies through the winter months, and still have all the "stuff" to keep warm in a pinch:P

Originally posted by Borderline Quilter

Haha ...Shana...I was wondering when you would chip in on this......how on earth do you cope ...

Haaa! :P Well let me say this:

1) Our homes and plumbing up here are VERY WELL INSULATED!!!

2) Fortunately the cold temps are during the winter months. Summers up here are nice and can get into the 90's (Farenheit)

Archived