Ten Minute Block Batik top

I found instructions for doing a "Ten Minute Block" and it intrigued me so I grabbed some of my batiks and went to work on it. It truly is a quick block and went together so fast and easily. Now I will put together a back for it and sit it on my ever growing stack of tops in need of quilting. I do have a quilt on the LA...waiting for me to come back to it. I accidently put my first practice block in the quilt and it is soooo obviously wrong. See the light colored one that shows as a square? I may take that out...not sure how much it bothers me.

post--13461905203286_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I originally saw it on YouTube then ordered the book. I remember making a "bow tie" quilt many years ago based on this same design. In the YouTube video she used 10 inch blocks (or whatever layer cakes are) because it was even faster and easier, but I didn't have much of the black center print so I figured out if I used 8.5 inch blocks I could get all 20 centers out of what I had. I'm trying to make a dent in my stash.

Oma, love your quilt!!! I agree with Libby if you notice it, take it out now, otherwise I love your batiks. I happen to have 2 layer cakes from Moda that I purchased, I am going to try this new block!!! Maybe I will even post a picture since I haven't posted any yet,( only because I am still doing alot of PPP). Thanks for sharing!!

The funny thing is...it's only really obvious in the picture. When I look at it in person you really don't notice it. Hmmmmm. This will probably be given to one of the grandkids so I think it may just stay like it is. I topstitched the centers down like you do on a Cathedral Window quilt so that makes a little more work to take it out and I have to use that center because I only had twenty of them. I made extra blocks because I'm going to use them on the back along with the dark border fabric and the cornerstone fabric, but the center is a little different. I sew for my own enjoyment and sanity so when I get an "oops" it isn't that big of a deal. The grandkids still think what I do is "magical" and they are very appreciative.

Originally posted by Judi

Wonderful!!! I LOVE the batik you fuzzy cut for your corners, pretty! I will have to try this pattern too - looks fast a simple. Great!

Any idea as to the "HOW" you are going to quilt this baby??? Those big plain areas can stump me sometimes.....

Nope...haven't gotten that far yet. LOL. I have 7 or 8 quilts ahead of it waiting to be quilted. It sort of lends itself to circles of some kind. I bought a bamboo pad to help me figure out what I might want to do. I welcome suggestions.

There is a way to put the centers in all of the intersections and that would cut down on the amount of large open space and could still be pretty.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Now that I think about it, I have made bow tie quilts using this method but I don't have that book so I wonder.......

Go to the YouTube site and search Ten Minute Block quilt. She shows you exactly how to do it without the book (which she wrote). Also a variation using jelly rolls. I think there are 3-4 different YouTube videos on it.

I just purchased the Ten Minute Block and her other book Twist & Turn, both look cool!! I think some of these quilts would make good foundations for quilting and also trying out my new Spiro Attachment for my Econozoid!! I can't wait to get the books, thanks Oma!

Originally posted by KarenH

I just purchased the Ten Minute Block and her other book Twist & Turn, both look cool!! I think some of these quilts would make good foundations for quilting and also trying out my new Spiro Attachment for my Econozoid!! I can't wait to get the books, thanks Oma!

I bought both too. She sent them very fast. And she even included another book for free. Very nice.

Your quilt is really nice. I watched the u-tube and then went to her web site and ordered the 10-Minute book and also the Twist & Turn. I think they will be great to use some of my stash, too, or as just a quicky gift quilt. I hope you will post pictures of how you quilt it. It will be good to see the totally finished quilt, to give me ideas of what to quilt on mine when I get to make it.

There is a way to put the centers in all of the open area intersections and that would cut down on the amount of large open space and could still be pretty. I even thought of using a solid colored center then when you fold it back put something pretty in it (like you do with Cathedral Window) and when you fold the solid color back it would "frame it". This pattern has lots of potential and it really IS easy and fast.

Taking a photograph of my arrangements of blocks on a design wall gives me a fresh eye. Value can sure mess with the design. Even two different colors can be too close in value and don't pass the squint test. I can remember looking at a Bourgoin Star at a show and couldn't see the pattern well till I took a photo and pop, there it was. I have even let the blocks sit over night and then have another look in the morning.

Good luck with all your future quilts Oma and thanks for the ten minute block tips.

Vicki

I think this is a beautiful quilt! I wouldn't bother "fixing" the block. I had to look really hard to find the one you're talking about. If it bugs you, take it out. It doesn't bug me enough to worry about it! I ordered the book! Looks like a good "stash buster" quilt to me.

I love making the 3-D bow tie blocks using this method. Easy and cute!

Archived