Ten Minute Block Batik top

Hi, was a little late getting to see this ..but wow ..I really like what you did and would love to make one like it .. I love to quilt .but never was that good at making them ( trying to learn & do more as I grow ) . This is such an easy way and still have a great looking quilt..plus sounds like fast .. Thank you for telling us about it ..... Pat

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the You Tube video and decided I must have the book. :) I also watched her Twist & Turn video and ordered that book too ! Like I really NEED more books. Those patterns looked so quick, easy and simple to make, but look more complicated when all together. I love patterns like that. Can't wait to get the books.

Originally posted by sammi357

I tried this with 5" squares, and it is really FUN...and 'tricky'...I love anything with a gimmick or a trick involved!

thanks for the link.

Post pics...makes it so much fun. Did you notice...I posted pics of one in progress? I'm glad everyone liked the pattern.

I was so inspired by watching the YouTube video that I dug out my soldier quilt fabric and did the entire quilt top of 12 blocks plus border in 3-4 hours. The block really does take only 10 minutes to sew, but a little bit longer to then go back and sew the center portion down. It was incredibly easy.

One caution - if you are like me and have to lay out everything before sewing because you don't want anything to touch, or you have directional fabrics and want to make sure they all face up, you need to be careful when sewing the pieces together to keep the orientation correct.

Thanks for this pattern!

Julia

I gave it a good "looking over" and couldn't even find your error, and errors usually jump out at me. Therefore, unless it's something that will bother you because you know it is there, I wouldn't bother to change it.

The decision to replace something is a tricky one. Sometimes it doesn't matter, but on more than one of my quilts, there are spots that every time I look at them I think, "Why didn't I take that extra 15 minutes to fix that?" and it drives me crazy every time I look at it. Some other errors, however, don't bother. Only you can decide which errors you can live with, and which will drive you nuts over the decades! Myself, I wouldn't bother with a kids quilt.

Originally posted by juliagraves

I was so inspired by watching the YouTube video that I dug out my soldier quilt fabric and did the entire quilt top of 12 blocks plus border in 3-4 hours. The block really does take only 10 minutes to sew, but a little bit longer to then go back and sew the center portion down. It was incredibly easy.

One caution - if you are like me and have to lay out everything before sewing because you don't want anything to touch, or you have directional fabrics and want to make sure they all face up, you need to be careful when sewing the pieces together to keep the orientation correct.

Julia

LOL...that's what happens to me...this is so easy and goes together so fast (except for those little charm sizes). Post a pic.

Sylivia (JustSewSimple) has it right. The method came out back in the '80's, I think. It was called a 3d BowTie block. I like this, because bigger is easier to piece, but still the same principal. Thanks for posting about it Oma, sure makes a pretty quilt and love how quickly it goes together. (Love your batik quilt!)

Waving Hello, Sue! I've visited your web site and your quilting is fabulous! I see you have a shop now and are teaching longarm classes and that's wonderful! I'm happy for you that your business has taken off. I remember when you used to pick up my quilts at Richland. :) I'm hoping to be in Ft. Worth next month and will stop in to visit if I make it. Sandi McM said she sees you occasionally and hope she passed on a greeting to you. Take care.

Originally posted by needle7

Hi everybody

I quilted some of the quilts in the 10-minute block book.

Here are some additional pictures of the quilts, if anyone cares to take a look

thanks

http://www.needlesquilting.com/gallery/10-Minute-Blocks

Wow! Thank you for the ideas for quilting this pattern. I need to start practicing my feathers. Your's are beautiful. This is a great pattern and I'm glad I found it.

It all starts with one little motivation. I wanted a pattern that would use up some of my batiks and still leave them in big enough pieces to enjoy them and this fit the bill. Then my mind started working on that beautiful pile of Christmas fabric that I didn't want to cut up into little bitty pieces either. The absolutely BEST part of both these quilts is I made them in just a couple of days and I DIDN'T buy any more fabric to complete them. This was total stash use. It doesn't get any better than that.

Originally posted by needle7

Hi everybody

I quilted some of the quilts in the 10-minute block book.

Very nice! Not sure which I like the best - so i want to try them all! Maybe the one with the circle feather in the centers.... gives me so many ideas!

Thanks for posting the link Sue - and I also think it is really cool that your last name is "Needle"! Really? - I Love it!! Will you adopt me?? :cool: p.s. like that quilt on your home page too, with the little purple squares floating out into the black border and so forth, pretty!

Yes people - more photos please.....

I am just piecing a 10 min block single bed quilt......I have all the blocks done and am topstitching the cathedral window folds. One question....I have been preparing this for when I am able to arrange delivery of my Millie....I will need to secure the straight edges of the cathedral window centre so they don't catch when i am quilting?...... would I be able to secure the straight edge with the LA as part of my quilting???

Originally posted by chrisee

I am just piecing a 10 min block single bed quilt......I have all the blocks done and am topstitching the cathedral window folds. One question....I have been preparing this for when I am able to arrange delivery of my Millie....I will need to secure the straight edges of the cathedral window centre so they don't catch when i am quilting?...... would I be able to secure the straight edge with the LA as part of my quilting???

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. When I sew down the cathedral edge there is only a small area not caught in that stitching...maybe 1/4 inch at the widest point. I intend to quilt inside the cathedral window part then the outside portion so it will be easy to avoid. Like Sue Needles did (see her post above and go look at her site). Are you thinking of using a panto? If I were to do that I think I would put a little dot of Roxanne's Basting glue on each one to hold it down then go for it. The glue washes out beautifully.

Hi Chrisee

I don't think you will be able to secure the cathedral window w/stitching on your millie. It's very thick, and I'm not sure if it will fit under your foot. Even the center of the CW is very thick, and I would recommend pressing that center seam open.

Here is an example of the TMB where the center was not stitched into a CW. I quilted it down flat.

http://www.needlesquilting.com/gallery/10-Minute-Blocks/Lemongrass

Sue

Archived