King Tutt and Fine line, it works!!

So after the disaster with King Tutt on top and bottom. And I struggled to finish that quilt. The thread kept breaking and I must of re-threaded 200 times (not to mention the back looked like it too!) Last night I did another one with King Tutt on top and Fine Line on bottom. It sewed like a charm. Thread didn't break and the stitches looked really good. I used Dream Poly for that poof look. I have learned from my mistake and will NEVER do King Tutt in top and bottom. In February, Superior is having a Thread Class in Kona and I plan to be there. I'm learning! Here's my quilt that I did last night.

post--13461905241382_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by meg

Fine line???

i went to the Superior website & i just dont see it....

i see bottom line and so fine...but not fine line...

Am I crazy??? i cant find this thread. and i would love to find a thread to run with king tut in lola-baby.

I'm guessing she means So Fine, not Fine Line. But if Superior wants to make a new brand of thread, Fine Line is a great name!! :P

Meg, have you tried So Fine with King Tut? I think this works fabulous together. I use Bottom Line most of the time. I like to use So Fine when quilting flannel cuz it shows better (doesn't sink into the nap)

Glad to hear this worked well for you Hitomi. That quilt looks great!

I just spent the day working with King Tut on top & So Fine in the bobbin & every 10 inches or so the bobbin thread flat-lined. I tried everything, reviewed all the notes I've collected on tension, threads etc. (Dawn Cavanaugh's notes from her tension class are particularly helpful) and finally tweaked things enough to get the quilt finished. I think I've identified this particular problem tho'. This customer always insists I use the spools she brings me as she thinks it saves money if she buys the thread :-) and she wraps her backing for the binding & likes to use the same thread for a decorative stitch on the binding. These small spools are straight wound & should be on the machine horizontally while the large spools that I use are cross-wound and need to stand vertically in the usual place at the back of the machine. I don't have a horizontal spool holder! Maybe it should go on my list of things to buy next year!

Happy New Year everyone!

Originally posted by anniquilter

....... I think I've identified this particular problem tho'. This customer always insists I use the spools she brings me as she thinks it saves money if she buys the thread ... I don't have a horizontal spool holder! Maybe it should go on my list of things to buy next year...

Hi Anne! :) How is Stowe? I'm sure it's lovely this time of year. Isn't it always lovely there? :) My DH fell in love with VT. He wants to move there. I'm not arguing with him... hehehehe!! Maybe some day????

To this customer that insists she supply her own thread (the little spools of straight wound)... um... just politely smile your pretty smile, batt those eyes and say "no, thank you" ;)

And Yes, I agree that the horizontal spool holder is a nice thing to have. Or you can do the "creative" thing like Linnea and duct tape a paint brush handle to the top of her machine. Looks real nice and classy (haha!) but serves the purpose. ;)

Just tell your customers there's a $10 surcharge if they insist you use their thread, because you can never be sure of the quality or how it will act with your "industrial", high speed machine. The threads we use are made specifically for our machines and are of the highest quality. :cool:

I haven't had a problem using King Tut top and bottom. I just adjust the tension in the bobbin and on top. Most of my King Tut is varigated which can kinda be a waste on the back of the quilt, so I usually use whatever thread matches the back in the bobbin. Once you get used to playing with the tension, you can pretty much use anything top or bottom! I never worry about the weight of the thread being the same.

Originally posted by anniquilter

Glad to hear this worked well for you Hitomi. That quilt looks great!

I just spent the day working with King Tut on top & So Fine in the bobbin & every 10 inches or so the bobbin thread flat-lined. I tried everything, reviewed all the notes I've collected on tension, threads etc. (Dawn Cavanaugh's notes from her tension class are particularly helpful) and finally tweaked things enough to get the quilt finished. I think I've identified this particular problem tho'. This customer always insists I use the spools she brings me as she thinks it saves money if she buys the thread :-) and she wraps her backing for the binding & likes to use the same thread for a decorative stitch on the binding. These small spools are straight wound & should be on the machine horizontally while the large spools that I use are cross-wound and need to stand vertically in the usual place at the back of the machine. I don't have a horizontal spool holder! Maybe it should go on my list of things to buy next year!

I've had the same problem and I tend to agree with you. In my case it was a shop really trying to help me out. I would tell the customer that if she wants to keep supplying the thread you will need to charge her extra to cover the new equipment you need to run her thread properly or to cover the extra time in takes to use her spools without it. She may be prepared to let you buy the thread on the cone and just use a small spool of the same colour when she does the binding.

I don't think you need to stand the expense of her trying to save money.

Ferret

I find that if I use a bobbin thread that is thinner than the top thread, I usually have much better tension.

So for King Tut on top, I use So Fine, Masterpiece, or Isacord in bobbin.

For or Poly Quilter on top, I use So Fine or Isacord in bobbin.

For So Fine on top, I use poly prewounds, like Super Bobs -- Bottom Line.

But there are always some exceptions, I guess.

Darlene, I like your suggestion of charging extra for "their" thread. I think I will employ that.

Hitomi, your quilt looks great. I like that pattern. It looks fun.

hi shana - thanks for clarifying as i thought i was going bonkers. anyway - i almost always use sofine in my bobbin, but i think i always tried BL with KT cause i read somewhere that it was recommended. i think i will give that a shot - i just LOVE the KT colors and sometimes i really like the look of a thicker thread. thanks for helping me shana! ;)

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by meg

Fine line???

i went to the Superior website & i just dont see it....

i see bottom line and so fine...but not fine line...

Am I crazy??? i cant find this thread. and i would love to find a thread to run with king tut in lola-baby.

I'm guessing she means So Fine, not Fine Line. But if Superior wants to make a new brand of thread, Fine Line is a great name!! :P

Meg, have you tried So Fine with King Tut? I think this works fabulous together. I use Bottom Line most of the time. I like to use So Fine when quilting flannel cuz it shows better (doesn't sink into the nap)

Archived