advice on bobbin thread color

Okay all you experienced quilters--am I nuts? I keep trying to match my bobbin thread to the quilt back while using another color on top. An example--I am using King Tut off white on the top and the backing is deep marron. Essentially, I am using white on top and red in the bobbin. My tension seems just fine, but I get itsy bitsy points of red on top. Is that just a function off two colors or should I mess more with the tension.

I try to avoid the light on one side dark on the other combo. That being said, sometimes it's unavoidable. In the case that I must, I make sure the batting is of good quality and at least medium loft. I find this gives more fudge room for the tension balance, because yes it is a tension issue. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure others will pipe in too.

It's possible that the one thread peaking through on the opposite side, that they will disappear when you finish the quilting, remove it from the machine and give it a few good shakes.. sort of like a throw rug, but not that hard.

I've had some that peeked until I washed them.. I do throw them in the drywer for a few min. till most of the moisture is gone, then lay them out and block them till they dry.

Good Luck, and Welcome to the forum, tightly wound,

A smart person told me when using 2 colors of thread to pull the tension tight enough on top to be able to see "the little bald guy." (Being able to just barely see the the bobbin thread from the top). That works wonders! That and almost coming to a complete stop when making a sharp point. It worked with Lenni - hope it works with Miss Freedom!

I would not agree to use white on top and red or any other color in the bobbin. I always match my bobbin thread to the top thread as close as I can (unless it is my own quilt) because I hate seeing thread trying to peek through on the wrong side. That's my solution. Maybe someday I will get confident enough with the tension adjustments to use two colors.

It is difficult to get that perfect balance between two such opposite thread colors. As Sylvia B. suggested, you really don't need to try either, and in fact the "little bald guy" is a good tension.

I don't try to match the bobbin thread to the backing anymore. Whatever happens on the back---just happens. I do try to match the bobbin thread to the top thread as much as possible. But, if the design on the back shows up (like green thread on on red backing because the top is green)---that's just the way it is. Sometime that happening can be very beautiful too....sort of a whole cloth design transpires on the back of the quilt because of the "thread play" on the backing.

Like this quilt I did for a friend who wanted a black backing:

https://picasaweb.google.com/angiekiker/QuiltsIVeQuiltedForFriends#5345338963346828482

I believe that when the thread tension is perfect, you will see the bobbin thread on top and the top thread on the bottom.

So when you're trying to "balance the tension" to avoid seeing the bobbin thread on top or the top thread on bottom, you are spinning your wheels.

I always match the threads when possible, or choose a bobbin thread color that will blend well with the top.

I haven't paid attention to how the thickness of the batting affects the visual appearance of the threads. Kim's idea for using heavier loft batting is interesting. I will play with that in the future.

Archived