Need opinions on thread color - UPDATE W/PICTURES

I'm posting a picture of the quilt top and backing and can't decide what color would look best. Olive green or rust? Or should I buy a brown color? I'm going to quilt an all over design that is called mahogany. It's a wood grain type look. It will be used for my older boys room. The backing is laid to the side of the quit top. Thanks for any opinions. Kerri

post--13461905637496_thumb.jpg

I think I like the rust too. I tried to think of a muitli that would like nice. But Sometimes that is a problem and I think it would be here. I f the color is to dark it will jump out on the cream and If you use something very light it will then jump in the dark colors. So the lighter rust or the poop green I think would be good!

Because you have the cream fabric where whatever color thread you choose will stand out, the thread you choose will be an "overlay" of the entire quilt. It is another layer of color/design that can either match or contrast with the base geometry of the quilt top.

Since your quilting design looks like wood grain, a brown would of course be a great choice. A tawny brown/gold would be good. I think if the quilting stands out on one block/color, it should be visible on every color, if only slightly. My opinion only, of course.

I did an "overlay" type design and will see if I can find a photo as an example.

This is not the best example and the Asian feel of this is miles away from your traditional colors and pattern, but it shows the overlay concept. A thread brighter, darker, or one tone off from the fabric will show on all fabrics and give a see-through effect.

I hope this makes sense to pull a multi color/tone quilt top painlessly together with one color thread.

post--13461905638139_thumb.jpg

Thanks Linda. Great quilt and I like the colors. Is that a darker color thread you used on it? I think I will go with the rust color that I already have. I think it will blend in with the backing material and would look good in the wood grain type quilting. I'll post pictures when I'm done. Thanks to everyone for helping me decide. Kerri

Me well I would use either but have admit when I can not decide I usually turn to a vargiated thread that has all the colors that I was thinking about, when doing an all over design. There are some wonderful vargated threads in rust to green mixes out there.

Actually Lisa, I have IQ, so it will be computer quilted using the wood grain panto. And I'm actually making two exact same quilts of these for my two older boys for a cabin guest room that my boys will be using. (Two queen size beds). Maybe I should do one in the green and one in the rust thread? Now, I'm wanting to look at maybe a varigated one as well. I do have a rust varigated too but I also think the wood grain will show up better with the rust. Such a big decision!

ha-ha. Thanks for the comments. Kerri

Archived