I am back and have questions

After my divorce I fell into a deep depression, I am now doing fine- I like living alone no one to tell me what to do. After renting this duplex for 2 years I am buying my own house. Now question my liberty will be in the basement, question will I have problem with leveling the table on the carpet? Will I need a dehumidifier? WOW I Will have a whole room for my quilting I am so excited only going to have to move this spring after all this snow we have here. I have done a couple of quits this winter for customers. Had problems today with thread breaking, I knew I had gotten an extra thread guide was glad I had it on hand as the the old one had a large burr and breaking my thread. Had to search a while to find that!

My machine is on carpet too and I don't seem to have any problem with it being level. It's not in a basement...it's upstairs...and in sunny CA so I don't have to worry about any moisture problems...LOL, but I used to live in Huron, SD and my basement had a tendency to flood. I'd be real careful about that. I also ran a dehumidifier back then.

I have mine in the basement in Iowa and I do use a dehumidifier in the summer. We have central air but the dehumidifier keeps the basement more comfortable without being over cold from the air conditioning.

A lot will depend on how humid the air is and how dry the basement is. Our house is only 15 years old and the basement is finished so it's dry but the humidity does seem to be worse down there.

Guest Linda S

I think you'll be able to level it, no matter what. Ask the folks you're buying the house from if they have any trouble with moisture in the basement. To be on the safe side, I'd store anything down there on lower shelves in plastic tubs or the like, so you won't have to worry much in case the creek rises!

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Nothing like a new home and making a fresh start to really get you feeling in control of your life again.

All the best!

Linda

Hi Edie,

Welcome back!! I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering where you had gotten to. ;)

My machine is on carpet and I definitely had to re-calibrate it several times as it "sunk". I have invested in four chopping blocks - large thick huncks of wood, that I have placed under the legs and it has stayed level for much longer and I have had no further adjustments to make. With the weight distributed over a larger surface area, it must also be better for the carpet.

Good to see you back.

My machine is on carpet and in the basement. The dehumidifer is continuously running because the other have of the basement (walk out) is the woodworking shop. I leveled my machine and a week or so later rechecked it for "settling" into the carpet. Amazingly no issues. Maybe because the carpet is a short nap with thin padding underneath.

Mine is on the carpet and I had no problems with leveling. We did check it a couple of years later and it did need to be re-leveled slightly...no big deal at all. It has been there about 4 years and is just fine.

Where I quilt, I need to add humidity in the winter due to our electric heat, which is very drying.

Enjoy your new life and home. Very exciting!

Good for you for your new start!!! My studio is in the basement and on carpet as well and is perfectly leveled. I use a dehumidifier in the summer, in the winter months when the furnace is running the air is circulated through the house so there aren't any issues.

Enjoy your Freedom and your nice big studio!

Wendy

I live in Wyoming, dry, very dry, I actually have to run a humidifier or I static shock myself to death. I have to relevel my machine usally spring and fall, because of frost heaves in the cement floor. I don't have carpet in my room (the basement), but I have foam pads on the cement. You should be fine, I wouldn't worry about a dehumidifier until you find you need one, just put furniture slidders under the legs and level, If you find you machine moves without you moving it, relevel you machine, it's not hard and only takes a minute, just invest in a good 4' level. My husband comes looking for his periodically. It just walks by itself from the garage/shop to my sewing room.

Glad your back.

I am in Virginia and my quilt studio (just love saying that) is in my partially finished basement. Carpet over cement flooring. I put 6" square wood blocks that I covered with felt under each of the four feet on my frame and have never had a problem, did so more to save on the carpet over time with the weight of the frame. I however have the opposite problem with not enough humidity in the winter time. I have way too much static electricity and can only wear certain shoes that don't build static (mostly barefoot), and keep a crockpot going to add moisture into the air. When I notice the frame starts to shock me with static, then I spritz the air with a water bottle which seems to help. Summer however is not a problem....

By the way, my DH's tools seem to make their way into my area frequently too, I think they just like to be around the quilts!

Archived