Elmer's Glue?

I'm thinking the stick school glue. My guild had Beth Ferrier teach classes for us a year or two ago and she is an applique quilter. She uses the stick glue for all of her applique and says the colored glue dries clear. You could do a test sample. If you aren't familiar with Beth Ferrier, here's her web site.

http://applewd.com/

But now I'm recalling a few years back reading that Sharon Schamber used the liquid school glue in an applicator and applied it to her binding to hold it. I've never tried it. Another tip from Sharon Schamber is to spray starch the binding before folding in half and pressing, and I've been doing that. The starch seems to hold the folds together. I guess I'm not much help. :P

Sharon Schamber uses both types of Elmer's School Glue...the glue stick on her prepared edge applique and the liquid glue (with a special tip which she sells) to secure the piping and/or binding before stitching. She says the school glue is chemically closer to starch than glue. It works great. I use it all the time. One thing, though. After applying the liquid glue, you heat set it with an iron.

Guest Linda S

Elmer's School Glue in the bottle is used by Sharon Schamber a LOT! Also glue stick, but you must make sure it's the kind that washes out. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with gunk in your quilt.

I learned about the Elmers Glue from Sharon Schamber. It's so handy. Yes, as the others said, it is the liquid for things like binding, heat set with the iron. Helps with accurate placing and not moving while stitching. I love it, I use the stick glue too to hold applique pieces, heat set too.

I have used both the bottle and the stick varieties of Elmer's WASHABLE school glue and both work well. I have noticed that some of the Elmer's glue sticks don't spread as easily as others and thought that perhaps they were just older. When I took a Sharon Schamber class she told us to make sure that we bought the Elmer's sticks that are made in China and not the ones made in Canada. She said that the formula is different. When I checked my supplies at home I found she was correct, the ones that are thicker and more difficult to spread are made in Canada. Now when I go glue stick shopping at Walmart I have to remember to look for something made in China rather than something that isn't made there. Go figure!

Sue

Archived