OK... another question!

I am working on a quilt that I am just doing swirls on at the moment. my thread keeps breaking.... (top)... I have changed the needle, oiled bobbin and wicks , going slower... but it is still breaking... I don't think it's the thread cause I have used this same spool for the last 3 quilts... any ideas???Randy just came in and said tension! but I have been using it????

I did loosen the tension. It helped some, but it still broke ... I'm back at the swirl part, so I will see if I loosen it up a little more. I don't have sewer's aide, and there is no store near me to get it... I am working today without the air conditioner on.. do you think that might make a difference? If so, I 'll turn on the air!

Silicon spray works, too. you can get that at Wal Mart or a hardward store. I put a big cone in a plastic bag, spray the heck out of it and close the bag for a while. Seems to work OK.

NO AC on ? The humidity could be causing you problems. The heat wave must not be over you yet. We have 100+ degree heat indexes for the whole next week. Staying in the upper 70s at night, too. Heat advisories already out. High humidity, too.

Linda,

I know you have said that the same cone of thread has completed three quilts recently. However, it would be good if you try another spool just in case. Sometimes spools can have "bad spots" just like fabric on a bolt. It the thread still keeps breaking then it could be a burr on your needle plate hole, a burr on the hook, a burr in a pigtail guide, or simply too tight tension.

Try backing off both the top and bobbin tension severely until the stitches are extremely loose (even if it means the tension disks rattle). Loosen the bobbin until it zings to the floor. If you still have breakage there is a burr somewhere. if you don't, then start tightening the top tension and sewing a bit to test it. Tighten until your stitches look good. Tweak the bobbin if necessary and tighten it.

Let us know how it is going!

Are you using Glide thread with the snap bottom cone? If you don't snap the bottom of the cone shut, the thread catches on the little groove at the bottom of the cone where you run the thread through to secure it with snap bottom. It was a pretty irritating session until I figured that out.

Thanks for all the imput! I turned my air on and loosened my tension. So far this morning... pretty good... I don't like to quilt slowly!! :P MYRNA... LOL!! Yes! To all of your questions.... especally the "need a vacation" one!!! :P:P Lynn, I am using So Fine on top. I can see where those other spools would cause it to catch and break and how that would drive you NUTS till you figured out what was causing it!! Dawn, I have loosened both tensions. How do you tell if you have a burr on something? Can you see it? THanks everyone!!!

Archived