Need ideas for good habits from the start...

As a newbie, I would love to develop good quilting habits from the start. Things like "wipe down your rails before you begin" or "have a sample sandwich to check tension before you start on the quilt itself".

What habits do you have that all newbies should learn?

As always, thanks for the help!

You will soon have a routine when you step into the studio to start.

Searching the archives here is probably the best education you will be able to find. Volumes of hints, tips, and solutions to problems await you behind that search button.

Do the "pre-flight check".;) That's wiping down, oiling, readying the leaders for loading, perhaps changing the needle, and any warm-up you think appropriate.

Measure, measure, measure the backer/batting/ top. Sketch a diagram with all dimensions to remind you of how the parts will be loaded. You will hear stories of running out of batting or backer at the last roll because one part was loaded the wrong way. It's a nightmare that even seasoned quilters sometimes have happen.

You will find a favorite way of loading and get good and quick at it.

As you build your library of designs, start a notebook both for future personal reference and also to show to your customers.

You are with a friendly and sharing group--enjoy the ride!!

I am pretty new myself, but I can share a few tips (if you don't ask me how I know...)

Be sure all stray items are removed from your quilt before you advance it.

Likewise, be sure the side clamps are removed before you advance the quilt.

Never, ever keep any permanent indelible markers anywhere near your sewing area. (or perhaps even in the house)

Relax your iron grip on the longarm. (Good for you and your quilting)

Stop ever once in a while to refocus your eyes and do a few neck rolls and shoulder shrugs.

Check out online sources for inspiration (Set a timer and get off the computer when it goes off)

Try not to be too critical of your results and remember that the pictures you see online are meant to inspire you, not depress.

Know that you are improving with each project, so enjoy!

Sally

Well my dear,

I always tuck my machine away the same way every time. That way I know the next time I use it, it will be ready for me and I won't have to do any looking around for any of my stuff. I move my machine to one side and set the controls where they should be for the next time. I make sure that my pins are in the place they should be. I place a scap of batting under the pressorfoot and oil the wicks and hook. I look to see if the needles are still in place and that the scissors are on the magnet. I place the bobbin and case on the throat plate and wrap the top thread around one of the screws that holds the handles in place. And I always make sure that my tape measure is in it's right spot as well. This way I always know where my tools are and that the machine is ready to go the next time I use it. zeke.............

I'm a lot like Zeke - I like to keep my tools and my things ... "Mise en Place" ... which is a popular French term that cooks use that translates to mean "Everything in its Place" so when you are cooking, you can have pre-measured, precut, or items set nearby to quickly prepare the foods. For me, I have always preferred being organized my whole life, so I know where to find things when I'm looking for them. :) It's just the way I am wired.

Some tips from me that I love and find very useful:

-- Get a small air compressor and a handy small vacuum. I have a small Shark canister vacuum. These are the best investments I ever made. I use both of these tools multiple times EVERY day when I'm quilting. I always vacuum before I load a quilt, and before I remove a quilt. I don't want stray strings or odd hairs or fuzz or goo on the quilt or stuck on the batting.

With the air compressor, I blow out my bobbin area (and bobbin case) with every bobbin change. Every week remove the needle bar plate to do a very thorough cleaning. Do the blow out, WD40 and oiling with the needle bar plate off. This weekly habit is a good one to keep your machine purring like a kitten.

Also with the air compressor, blow the areas where the wheels are to get any stray threads or dust particles from the wheel areas.

Did I tell you I love my air compressor? It's the best thing ever!

Before loading a quilt or removing a quilt, take a slightly damp rag or paper towel and windex and wipe the table and rails. The carriage, too. A little rubbing alcohol dabbed on paper towel and rubbed along the rails and carriage is a great way to clean off any oxidation.

I'm really picky about clean wheels, rails and bobbin area. In my 4+ years quilting this habit has served me well.

And while quilting, I don't leave anything laying on the quilt top. My scissors snips and self threading needle live in a special place on top of my machine head so I can quickly grab and "Mise en Place" when I'm done with them. :) Everything else lives on the table directly behind me so I can reach for it easily.

I love my air compressor and little Shark canister vacuum!

Guest Linda S

I have a little three-drawer (used to be wheeled, but one of the wheels broke and there's no fixing it) plastic cart that sits at the end of my machine. It contains my bobbins, a few tools, needles, and my lesser used templates. On top of it is my flashlight, canned air (my compressor died), WD40, and a bottle of alcohol (rubbing, not vodka). On the shelf next to the three-drawer unit is most of my batting and a bag of shop rags. I wipe the machine rails down with a rag and the alcohol before I start. I clean my bobbin area (with the bobbin case out) with WD40, run the machine, turn it off, and then wipe it down with the shop rag. I oil the bobbin area and put a few drops on the wicks up at the top.

On top of my machine I have a couple of "Scissor Spots." They are magnets that suction-cup onto the machine. They hold some pins, a seam ripper, a very fine crochet hook, my pin-point oiler, and a screw-driver the right size for undoing the needle screw. Should you ever sew your finger to your quilt when no one is home, it is handy to have one of these available. If it's on the table at the side of the machine, it won't do you much good if you're half-way down the quilt and can't reach it.

On the left side of my machine, again attached with a suction cup, is a little hook that holds a plastic cup that holds my thread snippets. I stash them all in there and, when it fills up, I dump them into a plastic bag. One of these days, when I have a nice assortment, I'm going to put some water soluble stabilizer on the frame, spread them out, throw in some pretty yarns and angelina, and then quilt the livin' bejeezus out of it. Hopefully, I'll end up with a nice thready scarf or a piece of funky fabric to use in something.

I keep a small magnetic bowl of pins at each end of the machine for stabilizing the sides, I use parts of an old Qsnap frame for side clamps. I do check under the quilt with each roll to be sure everything is smooth and flat. Before I got the IQ, which has electonic channel locks, I used to put pieces of painter's tape on my leveler bar, marking the edges of the quilt, and significant vertical seams. This helped to keep the quilt very straight as I rolled.

My scissors are always clipped to my shirt with a zinger - if I put them down or even try to keep them on one of the spots on top of the machine, they will always wander away. Of course, I have been seen walking the aisles of the grocery store with my scissors hanging from my shirt!;)

Oh! I have pets, so I swiffer the floor under and around the machine before I load a top or backing. I find that batting is often linty enough without adding more fiber to the mix!

I think that's about it!

Linda,

I have my scissors clipped to my shirt as well. I do that now when I sew on my domestic also. I feel bare without them there. I, too, have been known to show up in the oddest of places with my scissors still clipped to my shirt. The only thing that worries me is that I'll trip and fall and that's how they'll find me...impaled by my scissors!!

Wreckser,

One thing I do is lay out the back, batting, and top together (each folded in half) and then I put a pin in the centers so that when I load them I know they are the right size and the right direction. Linda Taylor does it that way and it works for me.

And I love my long arm centering tape to keep the quilt straight and my featherlite clamps.

One of the things Myrna Ficken said at the first begginers class I took was keep your threads that you cut off in a basket or container..don't throw them on the floor....And if you drop a pin, pick it up immediantly!! Those two things have really stuck with me and It is nice not having thread all over the floor like in my domestic sewing machine room!!

Archived