NQR - Rain Rain go away

Guest Linda S

Very hot and dry here with no end in sight. It wouldn't be bad, except we've got wild fires on the east side of the mountains. The smoke is coming into the valley bad!

We are having beautiful weather here in northern Minnesota. Perfect as a matter of fact, but we deserve it for all of the cold and snow we put up with 9 months out of the year. Sorry to hear you are still suffering out east. I have a friend on Long Island. I waited until this week to send her finished quilts back to her, because last week was so wet. Guess maybe it is still wet.

Okay, if we are just chatting here tonight, I'd like to share some exciting news. Tomorrow is our 'Home Visit' as part of the approval process for becoming a foster home for rescue golden retrievers. Another foster parent is coming with her dog, to meet us and our two dogs and do a two-hour interview process. I'm really looking forward to having more canine lovers around our house -- they make me happy.

I can show you a quilt I'm working on finishing the piecing for -- just have the last border. It is a 'free form curves' technique, from Louisa Smith's book called 'A New Twist on Strips and Curves.' My monthly quilting group is doing it and we are all coming up with completely different projects. We are supposed to have them pieced by next time, and then we are going to make 3-D flowers to put on the quilt, using a technique called 'kanzani'.

P.S. Thanks for chatting -- I appreciate the constant company this forum provides. :cool:

post--1346190693655_thumb.jpg

Here in Central PA, it has been raining for days. A couple of days this week the schools have sent the kids home early because of a fear of flooding. Today has been really strange. One minute it would be pouring and then it would stop, the sun would come out and about 2 minutes later it would be pouring again. We live up pretty high so I don't worry about flooding, but we do get a lot of run off and have a ditch (created by water) in our yard about 8 feet from our house that has had water running almost steady this week. I've had dreams about our house floating away.

Heidi, that is such a cute picture!

Here in South Mississippi it has been blissfully cool the last few days. Temps going down into the 50s at night, and staying in the 80s during the day. That may sound hot for some of you, but believe me, it's a huge relief from the summer we've had.

Heidi, that photo of Kailey and Mackenzie is precious. Mackenzie looks so serious. She knows babies are not to be left unattended, and she's going to be certain Kailey is well looked after. That little girl is going to have a devoted "nanny" for years to come.

We here in Northeastern PA are under a "State of Emergency" many people have lost their homes. The flooding is the worse and compaired to the flooding in 1972. If you follow me on facebook you have seen the photo's. Some area's have seen a river crest of 44 feet and homes are a total loss. Please keep this area in your prayers. It's so sad.

Well I went off to bed and now see I've missed all of this conversation....beautiful quilt Joan! Can't wait to see how you quilt it! Heidi your little Kailey is growing so fast! She already looks older! I am picking up my Abby today at noon when she gets out of preschool to take her to lunch and then to birthday shop for her mommy. I suggested that we find her a necklace and Abby says she thinks she needs a book...hmmm?

Our rain has finally stopped this morning, we had a heck of a storm last night with lightening and torrential downpours! We live on a sloped hill but am worried about how saturated the ground is and if I will start seeing water seeping up throught my basement - I hear the sump pump working hard alot this week! But nothing I know compared to those who have lost their homes both from water and fire this week...

just drove home to syracuse from nj yesterday and was stunned by the amount of flooding in northeast, pa & the binghamton, ny area. we've had a good amount here, but nothing like these poor folks are dealing with.

in contrast, i was vacationing with my texas family and they are dealing with 290 days of fire down there due to extreme drought. they are from the austin area and know many who have lost everything. they were showing me pictures on faceplace and the devastation is unbelievable. what they wouldn't give for a bit of rain....

good thoughts and prayers to all who are overwhelmed by mother nature right now

:(:(

heidi - adorable

joan - stunning, must see this finished.

We've had about six inches here. Some of the streets were flooded but not like other areas. Fortunately we haven't had any thunder or lightning so I've been able to keep quilting. Four counties south of us are on flash flood warnings, until six o'clock. I'm glad some of you are enjoying good weather. Next week is the Philadelphia quilt show and I'm planning on going. But Harrisburg area has had 13 inches of rain. I hope it's all receded by then.

Archived