Avoid this Quilter Mental Checklist

Sandra's bad quilter experience made me think. There have been times in my life, I just knew something would be trouble from the start.

Does anyone ever get a "gut feeling" about someone when you are doing an intake? Listen to your gut...I second guess myself too much. At the get-go, if you get bad vibes or your gut tells you this won't be worth it, say NO. Are we able to say no? We want to be agreeable because we are in business. However, a well rehearsed statement like "I"m sorry, but I don't think I will be able to quilt this quilt to meet your expectations. The local quilt shop can make a recommendation for you for another quilter."

Our "mental note to self" list on intake gets longer and longer. How about a question on intake "How many quilters have you had quilt for you in the past?" or "are you a perfectionist?" Anyone think of other questions for the "Avoid this Quilter" mental list?

Disclaimer: This is a public forum. Some items may be tongue in cheek and are not meant to represent any one quilter.

I think we all need to process what we're doing, why we're doing it, and who we're doing it for. I took in a quilt. The quilter said she had already tried four other quilters and none had made her happy. She didn't like "puffiness" and other things that the other quilters had done. Spent 1.5 hours going over what she wanted on the quilt. No custom work - just different aspects of a panto in different areas. (BTW - the quilt, color choices and piecing were exceptionally awesome and I would have loved to have been given the freedom to make it sing.)

I stewed and fretted. I contacted her and told her that the most important aspect of my quilting is to do my best to make the quilter "happy." I gave the quilt back to her because I didn't feel I could do that. I was in the LQS two months later and she was there waiting to pick up the same quilt. The lady in town who only does pantographs brought the quilt in - I didn't stay to see it. Just my 2 cents worth. I did follow my "gut" on this one.

She did tell me she felt she might have been too uptight and gave me a wrong impression and might be contacting me for a future quilt. At least she wasn't unhappy with me or my work!!

So, here's another "Avoid this Quilter" mental question: Are they extremely specific on what they want and can we fulfill those specifications?

i have learned to pay attention to those 'red flags'...and my gut. Nice lady and customer-to-be talked to me (casually - not an official intake conversation) several times about a quilt she wanted me to quilt for her. Each time it was a different 'idea' on how to quilt it. After 2nd conversation red flags starting waving. Especially when she stated that she could do what she wanted on her domestic sewing machine "and I'm sure you can do this on your long-arm." Yeah but no ... when/if she calls for me to quilt her quilt, i'm going to gently tell her that i'm afraid i won't be able to do as good a job as she is anticipating. Heck, if she can do it on her own machine, go for it! I know as sure as I'm typing this that she would not be happy with whatever I do. Pay attention to those red flags and gut feelings!!

I don't quilt for others so can only empathize with the customer difficulties you're facing. However, we used to own an inn in New Mexico and, when a guest became difficult to deal with (like smoking in our non-smoking rooms), we marked their card PITA and that meant 'don't ever accept another reservation from this joker again'.

Most of you probably already know the PITA system but it was new to me at the time. PITA stands for Pain In The @%#. Perhaps longarmers should keep a PITA list as well? There are some customers who definitely deserve to be included on that list. Nancy in Tucson

I guess I am just lucky, but I don't have any real problem customers. I did, however, palm one off on Hitomi recently (H if you read this, I hope you're charging the BIG bucks!), and convinced another that she might rather quilt it herself, after she said to me, on Saturday "no hurry, I don't need it until the 16th" (of September, of this year). She knows very well I have a 3 week wait list, but I mistakenly rushed on for her once before, because it was going to a good cause. For the most part, though, I have found that those customers with very specific ideas about how the quilt should be done are in fact open to other ideas if you can show them a good reason, so I will not turn those down.

LOL! :P Most customers are good. Rarely do we have a "pita" or someone that is a little too picky. I've had a couple of "picky" but it's mostly a personality trait. I can handle that! :)

I think (for me anyway) whenever you deal with the public, or customers, it takes a certain type of person (meaning you the longarm quilter) to deal with certain types of people. Ya gotta take it with a grain of salt. Everyone is different. Some of them have their quirkies. Some of them just need to build up trust with you over time and then they are like totally cool and easy to work with. My way of dealing with the picky quirky types is to tell myself "Shana, this is just a person that wants their quilt quilted... don't get all spun up about it."

(I talk to myself a lot. LOL!!) :P

I think a good reason why I quilt for myself is I would be a PITA to anyone else to quilt for me. I am being brutally honest here as I have very specific ideas of the way I want things to look. Although I realize I cannot always get the desired effect myself and am not always 100% satisfied with my own work, neither would I be satisfied with theirs. that being said I guess I am a perfectionist and want the look I want. I did however, have one quilt quilted for me by a longarmer and I was completely satisfied with it. I had a specific pantograph that I wanted done on it and a specific veragaited thread which I provided along the the batting and backing. She was fine with my request and did a wonderful job. What I would not be okay with would be handing over and quilt and saying just do what you think is best. What they would do may not be what I had invisioned.

My daughter tells me that she pitys anyone who has to cut my hair as I am too picky and don't explain myself well enough. So it is good that we know ourselves best, Signed PITA who knows it!!:cool::D:D

My question is I have had customers tell me that my quilting is great and I never hear from them again. I'm not sure why and would really love an opportunity to find out if my work wasn't good enough and why. Most people don't want to say anything negative and my regular customers are great and they keep coming back and mostly say - do what you think would be best. Sometimes I'd just like a pantograph so I don't have to think. What I really like to do is find a group that would like to get together to critique each others work etc. It is wonderful posting here and everyone always has nice things to say etc. I know I wouldn't want to say anything negative about someone's work. But I remember how much I learned in Watercolor and Life drawing classes from college during the time we critiqued (sp) our work everyone always made good points and I felt each time I got better.

Originally posted by Kristiequilts

..... What I really like to do is find a group that would like to get together to critique each others work ....But I remember how much I learned in Watercolor and Life drawing classes from college during the time we critiqued (sp) our work everyone always made good points and I felt each time I got better.

Put your quilts in the national quilt shows. You will get an honest critique from the judges. These judges are certified and know what to look for. You will get positive feedback and improvement feedback. :) DO IT!

@ Shana,

I was hoping to avoid that, initially anyway. I have rec'd ribbons with my guild's quilt shows, but I haven't done a juried show yet. We are our worst critics aren't we? I'll probably never think anything is good enough. But I will try (oopps forgot, to quote Yoda - there is do or do not there is no try)

next question,

How to you fit YOUR stuff into your busy schedules? Do you set aside time or what. I always have a customer's quilt to do and I do my best stuff on theirs - Mine get a panto or an all over just to get it off the machine!

Hey Kristie,

I know... I am super busy with my FT job away from home. I just try to juggle my spare time on eves and weekends to get a few quilts done. Freehand from the front is always fastest for me. Pantos are pretty quick, too.

OK now to my next point:::

Please.... read this:::: DO NOT go with the notion that the reason we are entering our quilt into a show is for the main reason .... because we want to get a ribbon!! ACK! RIBBONS SCHMIBBONS! It is so over-rated!!!

THis should not the reason we enter the quilts!! Why should we avoid entering a quilt into a show because we don't think it's "good enough?" That's the wrong way of looking at it. We should enter our quilts --- for one main reason::: To show everyone our work, not to win a ribbon! Really! The ribbon is not the "end all be all" defining achievement that proves you have "MADE IT" in the quilting world. It's supposed to be about "participating" in the quilting world by sharing our work, and letting people see it and appreciate it. If for some far fetched chance you find out that you actually won a ribbon, this should be icing on the cake! The cake should be that you put it in the show in the first place, and the icing is the ribbon. Don't enter a show just for the prime reason of winning a ribbon.

All quilts are worthy of entering into shows. DO it for the fun of it, ONLY. Here's an example: So... you go to a quilt show and there are 300 quilts hanging. So... your quilt is one out of 295 quilts that did not get a ribbon, and that the other 5 quilts got the ribbons? Do you think that the people that go to the show only want to see the 5 quilts with the ribbons on it and walk out don't bother lookiing at the other 295 quilts?

I think the answer is no.

PS: Remember;;; Quilt show judges are ... QUILTERS TOO! Do you think their main objective is to be mean and nit picky? No! Their main objective (and the reason they are there in the first place) is because they love quilts and quiltmaking. They want to perpetuate the art of quilts. They want to HELP you get better with their advice and feedback. DO they want to make you feel 2 inches tall?

I think the answer is no.

OK ... LOL! I'm stepping down from my soap box now... ;)

I guess I should have qualified that - good enough to even be juried INTO the show. That would be my thrill too. You are absolutely right about the ribbon - 2 years ago I worked on a quilt for the whole year (almost) at my mom's in California (she was going thru chemo and radiation) This was our Guild's challenge and the directions, while specific, encouraged us to work outside our BOX. So I did something I had never done and designed a whole quilt from 1 picture of an elephant I had drawn another lifetime ago. The rules were you must have 5 rows 5 inches wide and the quilt couldn't be bigger than 36 x 36. There also had to be piecing, applique, embrodery and a stripes, dots, etc. in each of the rows (1 of each type of quilting and/or applique etc. Anyway I had made one of my rows curve and get narrow and then wider, never getting over 5 in in width. Oh well, long story short there were more than 5 rows in the quilt and while I followed the directions I also thought .. She didn't say ONLY 5 rows, or the rows had to be 5 in. the whole way through. I never worked so hard on something - it was good therapy as my mom ended up dying. She never got to see it. But I was so proud of it, It didn't win. but that didn't matter. I had done something new so... you see..in other words. Yeah I know what you mean. :);) Sorry. I'm tired so I'd better go to bed. Thanks Shana for helping me put things into perspective. :););)

(((hugs to you Kristie))) Sorry about your mom. She was blessed to have you with her during her final days.

I think you should put your elephant quilt into another show or shows. Why not? All of the other big quilt rock stars put their quilts through the show circuit. You can too! :)

And... who knows?? You "might" win a ribbon. :) But most of all, you will get some great feedback from judges.

BTW, judges like to see new and different and unique OUT OF THE BOX stuff.... Those are the quilts that win... you guessed it....... RIBBONS!! :cool:

Archived