Eleanor Burns Night and Day Spider--DONE with pictures

• 2 weeks later...

It took me long enough....too busy outside of quilting this last week or two. This quilt was too big for me to hang and not enough floor space either. DH is holding it up as best he can. I'm putting up some detail shots and I think you can imagine the whole thing. Computer guided with a little help from my brains. I had to add all the little ovals and CC "squares" in the centers. Ugh There were 63 "flowers" and an oval on each point of the muslin star. There is a CC "square" in the center of each "plate" including halves and quarters around the edges. I'll let you do the math. I chunked the borders--no corner motif to deal with. I showed one corner back.

Enjoy, and thanks for the comments. Tree skirts next...Eeeekkk...

post--13461907120553_thumb.jpg

It has taken me a long time to figure out how you did all of those quilting designs, Boni. Wow! Your brain is creatively complicated (I bet no one ever told you that before!!! -- must be the coffee I'm drinking this morning).

So, did you use an oval template or how did you quilt the ovals? The whole design is incredible and beautiful. I love the overall effect. Did you design the border? What tools did you use to quilt it and what does 'I chunked the border' mean? I'm in awe.

Lady, you put it nicely...my brain is complicated creatively...must be the coffee I drink!

And I agree, I love the way this Samantha block fit together overall. Lucky, I guess.:D

I will attempt to explain myself...:o

how did you quilt the ovals? What tools did you use to quilt it

These designs were computer generated. I started with Kim Diamond's Samantha collection for the main block. The intersections were very lumpy to say the least. I chose to work from the muslin star rather than the "spider web". I centered the flower in the star and let the curved arcs go into the web from the edges. Worked beautifully! After all the blocks were done I went back over it and added the little ovals in the center of the naturally occuring almost ovals, and went around the center of the lumpy web with a CC diamond. Nailed it all down quite nice.

Did you design the border? The border design was inspired by Kim Diamonds Oriental swirl. She had daisies where my diamonds are. That was modified in AutoSketch to coordinate with my center CC diamonds.

I chunked the border'

Instead of turning the quilt, I worked my way down the sides, quilting one motif at a time to do the side borders. One "chunk" at a time. Creative Studio allows me to draw a boundary and set my motif exactly where I want it in relation to the already quilted motifs. It appears as one continuous border as if I had turned the quilt and ran the whole length.

Here are the drawings...

post--13461907123809_thumb.jpg

Archived