Don't try this at home!

I'm just sayin'...

So, I was quilting away on this little customer quilt, not a care in the world - when the machine got stuck! Needle down in my customers quilt! I couldn't get the wheel to turn and I couldn't turn it off! I went around back and unplugged it. Even then I couldn't get it to budge!

I looked for my tools, my phillips in particular and all my tools are at the house I'm working on! Dang! Jump in the car, go get tools, back and take off the head cover. I see absolutely NOTHING! No threads, no dust, perfectly oiled things that should be oiled. (Needle still stuck in quilt) Went and got towels and rags to cover quilt while I sprayed WD-40. Slowly it began to move... Got it to move a bit - enough to be able to break the needle and remove it. DO NOT TRY THIS! It worked. I moved the machine off the quilt, and brushed and cleaned and sprayed and it runs perfectly again... The hook is fine - I was worried about that!

Devastation avoided! Parked it for the night OFF the quilt with a rag to catch any left over oil... The thing is, that I had just cleaned it after the last two quilts... I don't' know why this happened... It feel like the wheel was the problem. I don't know.

Just sayin... because I think it helps when we let each other know about problems and how to fix them...

BTW - Not a mark or hole on the quilt top or back! Whew!

I'm glad you made it through that experience unscathed (the quilt, too)! When the needle gets stuck for me, and it does happen every once in awhile, it is because I was not real clear about which direction I wanted to head...:cool:

so the needle flexed the wrong way and got stuck in the quilt sandwich. I generally get the pliers out, like you did Bobbi, and break the needle off to get it out, hoping that there is no damage to the quilt.

This happens to me, but I figured out why for me. I tend to play with my tension a lot I will mix all kinds of threads top and bottom. I hate thread showing throw on the light side whichever that is at any given space. I pull my top thread pretty tight so I don't have the colors showing up on the back. I then move the machine too quickly which flexes the needle as it goes down. Not good. When the thread loosens the needle unflexes and gets stuck. I either have to slow way way way down my movements or loosen tension. I also tend to have my stitch regulator high for a very small stitch.

Just a thought.

Melora

Did you by any chance clean it with WD40 and then forget to oil it? WD40 isn't a lubricant, it's a solvent and, if you don't oil after it, it can actually be corrosive instead of slippery.

It's a little paper pieced basket quilt 22 x 26... lots of tiny seam intersections.

I did oil too Linda - thanks - that 's really good info...

On stitches showing - I learned from Jamie W. that it's ok to have a tiny "pin dot" of the color from the top thread... when you take it off the machine and shake it or put it in the dryer with a damp towel, the stitches "pop" into the batt. So far, that seems to be happening on my quilts - I've not had a problem...

I think the feeling was "MORTIFIED!" This gal is kinda picky and I'm thrilled that nothing happened to the quilt! I'm going to sew on a practice piece this morning to make sure all is well!

I forgot to say...

Many of us store things under our machines... I usually keep it all in plastic boxes... With all this business, I've gotten a bit lazy and have set pieces of fabric - IE: muslin backs, etc. on top of the boxes...

When you move your machine off the quilt to use oil or spray with WD40, COVER THAT STUFF! Again, just sayin'...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing. Never had it happen but now I know what to do if it ever does. Yikes. That's scary. I had needle breakage issues a while back - was the needles I was using - and I then began always keeping it in the needle up position - but I expect that wouldn't help in these instances.

I am so glad to see this issue talked about. I have gotten carried away (directionally challenged) a couple of times and got my needle stuck in my quilt. The last time I had to get the DVD out and watch how to reset the hook because I manhandled the whole bobbin carriage to get the needle unstuck. I now think if this happens again, I'll get something to cut the needle, not sure if that's the correct thing. I am much more careful, it took me all weekend, a magnifying glass, bifocally adjusted (glasses you know). But I've been cruising ever since.

Wanda Thomas

needs a picture and a signature ;)

Archived