Denim Sue -- DONE last picture

These weren't too bad. It was just deciding how to go around all those tremendously thick corners. Auntie did the applique on her DSM with a zigzag--not satin stitch so it's rough, but do-able. I tried to make it as square as I could. These will be made into shams.

Now on to the, ugh, quilt.:D

post--13461907550235_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement all! The backing denim for this quilt weighs 12 pounds! I weighed it myself. The top weighs 7 pounds because the applique blocks fabric is different!

You are right about my Aunt putting lots of detail in these little guys. She doesn't have very good eyesight in the first place. She lives with my cousin so it gives her something to do...and she loves sewing. I'm glad to do it for her because it gives me practice. We're planning to deliver the finished quilt around Thanksgiving. Here I go...grunt...ooff:P

It's coming along...almost done. I changed my design and decided to crosshatch the whole block instead of the painstaking of SID the appliques and manually CH around them. This was so much easier. It nailed them down and went fast. As you can see, the seams are giving me a standing ovation for my work! :P:P I guarantee you won't see this quilt in Fons and Porter! Now I'm planning the binding...:o

post--13461907553254_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I finished this quilt and delivered it to my aunt in Alabama over Thanksgiving. It was thrilling to see her reaction...tears and all. Maybe soon I'll have a picture of it on her bed. I didn't take my camera...bummer...but she will send me one. I wrapped the backing denim around to the front and mitered the corners for binding. My DSM handled it superbly. I added flanges around the pillow shams. She loved it all.

Archived