Stitching two layers of silk with no batting?

Hi ya all,

I had a local crafter ask me tonight if I could "quilt" two layers of silk for her to be used to make some specialty items for a Christmas show. Is this possible? If so, what type/fineness of thread do you suggest? She has suggested the colors she wants used and they are typically available colors so that wouldn't be an issue. It's just the stitching through the fineness of silk I wonder about. And would I need to change the height of the foot to compensate for such thin layers going through the machine? I would assume I would want to go to a smaller needle as well.

I've really enjoyed the forum here and appreciate all the knowledge you all share. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Marci

Ulti I "Mizz Mona"

It is doable but without problems???? I imagine you will have some serious adjusing to your tension to account for nothing in between the layers. Could you talk her into at least flannel? Be sure it is prewashed flannel or it will shrink!!!

I love a challenge so I'd go for it. But I'd charge a PITA fee for sure!!!

As for thread, I think one of the shiny ones would be best because they are finer. The silk thread of course would be really wonderful. Is she wanting both sides to be "serviceable"? If not, you could make the top side look really nice tension wise and just get it OK on the back side.

I was thinking the same as Heidi. You will probably get some serious puckering without having any kind of "stabilizer" (thin layer of batting). You would probably need to run almost no tension. I don't think I would want that headache unless she agrees to a thin batt or flannel.

My first thought was there might be problems trying to get the tension right. There will be more experienced minds than mine, but in my experience on a longarm you sort of need a little room between the layers for the threads to meet. But why not try it. I would use the same thread and thread colour top and bottom, probably Superiors #100 silk, which is my favourite quilting thread, and give it a go, letting your cutomer know its an experiment. Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.

As others have shared, two pieces of silk without a stabilizing layer between will be very prone to puckers and lumps with any curvy quilting.

No matter what is decided, the two pieces should be loaded--no floating the top--so there is tension on both pieces. I have quilted silk fabric with silk batting, cotton batting, and bamboo, with wonderful results. Without something in between there is nothing on top but stitches. The depth you get with batting will be surprising. See if you can work up a sample for her to see the difference. Otherwise, simple straight stitching on two silk pieces would be easier on your DSM with a walking foot so both layers feed evenly. Just a thought...

Thanks, all - I do appreciate it. The lady that asked me about this will not tell me what she is contemplating. (She is a well known textile artist in our area who makes up the most delicious things from recycled textiles as well as new fabrics.) I called her and passed on what you all suggested, and she likes the idea of using silk thread but not batting or flannel. I suggested muslin and she then thought maybe the flannel would work better due to its smoother surface.

Once I get the stitch regulation put on Friday (YAAAY!!) I am going to experiment. I love a challenge! I agree that, IF it works, (and I told her also) one side may have a lesser degree of good looking tension and she said she'll wait to see what I come up with. So she seems to understand it may not be do-able, but we'll see!

Thanks, again, you all are experienced and I learn a lot from all your posts. I'll let you know what I figure out, and if it works I hope I am able to figure out how to post a picture of whatever it is she has in mind.

Marci

Jenny Haskins has a product that she calls Sheer Magic. She does and lot of embroidery on silks. She backs all her embroidery with this stabilier. It is an iron on and eliminates all the puckering that can be associated with embroidery. It i The product also adds body to the silk. I have seen her demos and could not believe what she could do on silk. Our local quilt shop carries it because they sell sewing/embroidery machines, but others might too.

http://www.jennyhaskins.com/products.phpk.

Archived