Do it yourself table....

Someone posted awhile back that they made there own table using curtain rods and an old TV tray. I have not bee able to get that out of my head as my machine is in our classroom and if there is a class going on I have no where to put my junk. I recently replaced my curtains at home with blinds so had curtain rods, but no TV tray. So the other day I went into our dollar store and found these trays, bought two and said now what. DH had just done something at home with industrial strength self stick velcro, so we used it to joint the rod to the trays. I LOVE IT! I even use it now when there is no class and lots of tables, it keeps things so close at hand....

post--13461907647099_thumb.jpg

I have a dumb but related question. Do you think the extra sticky Velcro would bond with acrylic? I want a laser table for the front of my machine but find the prices outrageous considering what they are made of...all along I have thought if i could only mount a half sheet of acrylic to curtain rods i would be set --- but I don't want to hassle with drilling though both the acrylic and curtain rod...screwing it together in such a way it holds up. Seems to me the industrial Velcro or similar adhesive would do the trick. -- Heck if I used the velcro I could use one set of rods for both the laser table and the "quiltin stuff" table....

Guest Linda S

That's really cool! For those that don't want to mess with velcro, you could probably drill through the tray and the curtain rod and attach them together with a nut and bolt. I love getting out the drill. Makes me feel like a real woman! ;)

Originally posted by quietlifeaz

I have a dumb but related question. Do you think the extra sticky Velcro would bond with acrylic? I want a laser table for the front of my machine but find the prices outrageous considering what they are made of...all along I have thought if i could only mount a half sheet of acrylic to curtain rods i would be set --- but I don't want to hassle with drilling though both the acrylic and curtain rod...screwing it together in such a way it holds up. Seems to me the industrial Velcro or similar adhesive would do the trick. -- Heck if I used the velcro I could use one set of rods for both the laser table and the "quiltin stuff" table....

I used industrial strength double sided tape to attach curtain rods to acrylic for a laser table. Works great. Also used it to stick my horizontal spool holder to the top of the machine.

Originally posted by lisae

Originally posted by quietlifeaz

I used industrial strength double sided tape to attach curtain rods to acrylic for a laser table. Works great. Also used it to stick my horizontal spool holder to the top of the machine.

THANKS!

Originally posted by Wannabelongarm

Where do you get industrial double stick tape and velcro?

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

Joanne,

I got the industrial double stick tape at Home Depot. I think it was $3.99 for a pretty good size roll.

The laser table is basically two sheets of acrylic laid across the bars of your machine so you can use the laser from the front of the machine. I went to the local glass shop and had them cut two pieces of plexiglass. The bottom piece is thicker (3/8" maybe) and long enough to fit across the bars. I stuck the curtain rods to the bottom of this piece. The top piece holds the pattern in place and is a large square of 1/4" plexiglass. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by lisae

Originally posted by Wannabelongarm

Where do you get industrial double stick tape and velcro?

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

Joanne,

I got the industrial double stick tape at Home Depot. I think it was $3.99 for a pretty good size roll.

The laser table is basically two sheets of acrylic laid across the bars of your machine so you can use the laser from the front of the machine. I went to the local glass shop and had them cut two pieces of plexiglass. The bottom piece is thicker (3/8" maybe) and long enough to fit across the bars. I stuck the curtain rods to the bottom of this piece. The top piece holds the pattern in place and is a large square of 1/4" plexiglass. Hope this helps.

Do you have a photo of your arrangement?

Archived