Sew nice to hear!

My son came over for the holiday & brought the quilt I made for him years ago & asked me if I could fix it. He said it had some worn areas, After looking at it I said I think he needs a new quilt. He said "NO Mom, I want this one!!" Brought tears to my eyes as I made that one for him in 2003 (Glad I put a label on it!!!!) It was the first quilt I entered into a show & it won a blue ribbon! So yes I will fix it & even redo the hand quilting on it. I think I will add another label to it also with the repair date - I think it will add another story to this quilt:)

Justin is 19years old now so he was 11 years old when I made that quilt for him. I really think it means more to him now that he is out on his own!

I recently had a customer bring me a Log Cabin she had made for her 40 yr old son when he was a small boy, she also wanted to make a new quilt but he insisted that the quilt be repaired. Mother duly unpicked the simple hand quilting that still remained, the backing had been turned to the front as a binding (which used to be common) so worn in spots that it was shredding.

Amazingly, the top was in relatively good condition and with a new wadding, backing and binding, it should be around for another few decades, the son was thrilled to bits to have his precious quilt made "new" again.

I'm sure love makes a quilt last longer!

Over Thanksgiving weekend, our 7 year old Granddaughter brought her quilt that I made for her when she was born. The top was pretty much gone. It was a panel that I had added borders to. It had disinnigrated from the borders and not in very good shape. She has carried that thing around for 7 years ! Still sleeps with it. Anyway, she asked if I could fix it. At first look I said I couldn't and the sad, dejected look on her face made me give it a try. I cut out the good part of the front panel and appliqued it to a new piece of fabric, then loaded the old backing and the "new" front and quilted it again, adding in some fresh batting. She was thrilled with it because it looks sort of the same, but better. She was so happy. When I told her people paid me to do these things, she looked at her Mom and mouthed "get out your money". haha I told her 2 hugs a day for 2 days was my fee. She gave me 5 hugs..........a bonus. haha

I make HS graduation quilts for all of my nieces and nephews when their time come alsong. Next on the list to graduate in six months (June 2012) is Stefani. So, I write and ask her if she prefered certain colors, fabrics or a special pattern. She wrote back and said she loves all of the quilts I've made her and she still sleeps with all of the quilts I made her in the past. Gosh. That was 10 years ago. :)

My grandson lives in south Louisiana in an area that seems to attract hurricanes each year. It really touched my heart when his mom told me that the first thing he packed when leaving the area was his quilt! Sometimes they don't say much about them but you know how special they are when something like this happens.

Archived