Getting to know my IQ - Feathered Star = PICS FIXED

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

Well, I already know my IQ, but I mean my Intelliquilter.

I've been working on this Feathered Star for a friend over the past several days. Got all the SID done (I let IQ do some of it, then decided I'd be faster if I did it myself) a few days ago and then did the IQ stuff Saturday and yesterday. I got a little frustrated trying to get things to fit. IQ has a wonderful feature where you can scale the size of something, rotate it, clip it, etc. It also has a stretch feature which I could not get to work right for the life of me. I know it's a beginner's problem, and I'll eventually work it out. So, the center motif doesn't go out to the star points as I would like it to, the outer border is too ornate and too small, and the feathered corners around the star actually had to be freehanded by me because, believe it or not, there is no feathered corner of that design in any of the digitized catalogs. I also should have done the HSTs around the star as triangles and used their matching threads in each space. I decided to step out of my box and go with a contrasting thread (which I generally don't like the look of) and yes, I still don't like the look of it.

So, anyway, here is my friend Adonna's Feathered Star, with some of my IQ and freehand quilting on it.

You may note in the photos that, though most of her fabric is dark, she used off-white thread to piece and looser stitches, so I'll have to take a Sharpie to it in places. Also, though I used QD Dream Orient, I seem to have gotten some bearding. Most of the fabric in this quilt was sub-par -- JoAnn-ish. On the left side of the quilt, the fabric actually split at one of the seams. Not that the seam wasn't caught, it just tore at the seam. I think this happened before I even loaded it, as I noticed it as I was smoothing it out to put the clamps on. I smoothed, tucked in the ends, and misty-fused it together. I think it's not noticeable now.

post--13461907922107_thumb.jpg

Your quilting looks awesome.

Sometimes waiting for the light bulb moments with IQ is hard. Then one day it just clicks - There are so many digitizers out there with beautiful designs for specific blocks that it is amazing.

Linda get the classes that Angela Huffman is teaching over the internet - the GoToMeeting - she is a great teacher, so patient, explains things well and you can ask questions - so worth the money - especially if you are a long ways from the many classes available. I met you in Portland, you were taking classes as well - I don't think you had had your IQ long then - but look at you now - you are doing great. Keep up the good work. Have a great day.

:D:D:D:D

Joan

Archived